New Punggol link road to open about a year ahead of schedule

Wormee

Yes I agree the government should have done better in planning. Hopefully now that they have so many plans for Punggol, they will be able to justify the costs, plan ahead and be proactive.

I think a lot of problems started from the previous batch of housing/transport minister. Mah Bow Tan + Raymond Lim. Things started to get better once Khaw got in for housing, but transport will take some time to clean up.

Anyway, thanks for the forum readers whereby none of them have given me a dislike.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think the reason why they didnt plan to build bigger earlier because of budget. Why would you build wide road for 500k population township when population still ard 100k? I guess they play wait and see, then build.

It's about connectivity of the town.

100k with only 2 points on entrance and exit is not wait and see

Similar town is CCK connected to KJE but the other side is also connected to Woodlands and Kranji, connected to Bt Batok road. So traffic can be spread out.

Pasir Ris also quite bad, but since the town was built already have 2 point to TPE, one to Loyang AVE.

AMK is connected by many points to CTE, Thomson road,

Marymount road, YCK road

Traffic can be bad too. But more access points.

Dont need to stay in punggol or seng kang to suffer....  just look at nichol highway entrance to KPE every evening... all those queue cutters...  i have yet to see a single enforcement officer there.

To many idiots on the road la.

There is another entrance further up in Sims Way.

• Praise 1

Similar town is CCK connected to KJE but the other side is also connected to Woodlands and Kranji, connected to Bt Batok road. So traffic can be spread out.

Pasir Ris also quite bad, but since the town was built already have 2 point to TPE, one to Loyang AVE.

Marymount road, YCK road

Road condition on the road indeed depend a lot on access points. Some roads always heavy traffic or jam which could be due to one access point, i have seen many area have such poor planning with one access point which go to one particular road.

The way govt build township nowadays is very bad especially Punggol/Sengkang.

All infra must be in place before sell house mah.  Not when ppl stay then put infra.

I had told my wife more than 15 yrs ago that govt made a mistake of NOT putting more MRT in Punggol/Sengkang.

That will force ppl to buy car.

Once ppl get comfy with car, no way you going to get rid of car within that estate.

• Praise 3

All infra must be in place before sell house mah. Not when ppl stay then put infra.

I had told my wife more than 15 yrs ago that govt made a mistake of NOT putting more MRT in Punggol/Sengkang.

Once ppl get comfy with car, no way you going to get rid of car within that estate.

Now they have started to built extension to the Punggol MRT to add another station further in.

Now they have started to built extension to the Punggol MRT to add another station further in.

due to poor planning again. The LRT can build and let it vacant for so many years, why roads and MRT can't build and let it vacant first. Maybe MRT might not be so feasible but the road networks is definitely due to poor planning. 

All infra must be in place before sell house mah.  Not when ppl stay then put infra.

This is how it work here lo, always put people in first before putting in infra. They never learnt from past mistakes or lesson at all de.

Wonder will they plan better for the coming brand new town Tengah?

My personal experience is that living in the north is that actually the govt does know what it's doing. Everything it's doing has been planned many years ago.

If u want to stay out in the boondocks (I do), u have to accept that transport to city center or major roads will always be hampered by the number of transport links available.

Similarly if u stay in CCK/Tengah/Yew Tee area. Unless u can build a highway through heaven, u can never run away from KJE congestion.

The road implementation in the northeast area have all been gradually implemented.

Over the last 10 years since i started working in the area and dating my wife, the improvement in the roads there have all made the area un-recognisable. 

Punggol is really hemmed in by lorong halus one side, the undeveloped part of seletar/punggol on the other and the only 2 major transport nodes.

The bridge to lorong halus has already been there 4-5 years in the making. If u regularly run around the area along the west part of punggol/sengkang, u would know.

Yes, i still wouldn't stay in punggol though  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Marymount road, YCK road

Can't really compare Punggol to other towns such as AMK, CCK. Closest comparison will be Pasir Ris. This is because of location. Punggol is at the edge. You can't build entrances/exit for almost half of the circumference already, so you are really limited.

Even CCK has quite a bit of land to the north of it so it is ok.

Anyway, it is not only 2 entrance/exit points. There is one at Seletar to Yishun, 2 TPE exits, and one from Punggol East KPE side. They are adding the new link road now, and soon Punggol can also go direct to Pasir Ris. There are also plans to add a third exit on TPE I think somewhere along Punggol West.

Hopefully all these will ease the traffic. At least the rate of increase in Punggol residents are not as fast as before so it will catch up. Nov BTO launch for e.g. has no Punggol inside.

My personal experience is that living in the north is that actually the govt does know what it's doing. Everything it's doing has been planned many years ago.

If u want to stay out in the boondocks (I do), u have to accept that transport to city center or major roads will always be hampered by the number of transport links available.

Similarly if u stay in CCK/Tengah/Yew Tee area. Unless u can build a highway through heaven, u can never run away from KJE congestion.

The road implementation in the northeast area have all been gradually implemented.

Over the last 10 years since i started working in the area and dating my wife, the improvement in the roads there have all made the area un-recognisable. 

Punggol is really hemmed in by lorong halus one side, the undeveloped part of seletar/punggol on the other and the only 2 major transport nodes.

The bridge to lorong halus has already been there 4-5 years in the making. If u regularly run around the area along the west part of punggol/sengkang, u would know.

Yes, i still wouldn't stay in punggol though  [laugh]

Just look at the new Canberra estate.

Road network is already up before all the BTOs are built. The place is quite accessible now.

Just have to wait for Yishun Ave 8 to open up.

This is one of the better examples of good township planning compared to Punngol.

• Praise 1

Just look at the new Canberra estate.

Road network is already up before all the BTOs are built. The place is quite accessible now.

Just have to wait for Yishun Ave 8 to open up.

This is one of the better examples of good township planning compared to Punngol.

It's not really comparable cos Punggol and SK was always meant to be more dense than sembawang/yishun.

Cos of the airport and sembawang airbase limits, 13 storeys vs 22 storeys means every block of flat has a difference of close to 1.6-1.7x more residents. 

And seletar makes it easy for residents to access CTE/SLE/TPE all at one go, cos seletar area is beside the intersection.

Given punggol and sengkang are parallel to each other, on opposite sides of the TPE and share both the same exits (which is the major transport avenue). 

The road planners have a difficult time balancing access vs making monstrous exit systems to service both SK and Punggol.

Punggol is actually flanked by two rivers also. 

It's just not a good HDB town to be a driver.

It's like playing sim city. It's easier to plan canberra and hence the execution of the transport links are easier and appear smoother to residents.

Edited by Lala81

Problem is all the dept never communicates

They should have reserve some space for future road expansion, now the flats are build so near to the main road

want to expand also cannot, example is the main punggol road, plus they that useless icon there(the sail), really no more space to expand.

Problem is all the dept never communicates

They should have reserve some space for future road expansion, now the flats are build so near to the main road

want to expand also cannot, example is the main punggol road, plus they that useless icon there(the sail), really no more space to expand.

The semi expressway to be completed should "upgrade" Ponggol South to be a multi access zone and take traffic away from Ponggol Central, Ponggol North zone may be less dense (car lite) as it will be the Yishun of the North East, hemmed in by the coast.

My sis lives in Ponggol, she has complained for at least 3 years of the traffic there. The Ponggol plan is ok but execution is really CMI.

The semi expressway to be completed should "upgrade" Ponggol South to be a multi access zone and take traffic away from Ponggol Central, Ponggol North zone may be less dense (car lite) as it will be the Yishun of the North East, hemmed in by the coast.

My sis lives in Ponggol, she has complained for at least 3 years of the traffic there. The Ponggol plan is ok but execution is really CMI.

Yup... the link to pasir ris was in the mastermind many many years back,

haha, I have been complaining for years !

every morning is like F1, fighting for pole position :(

• Praise 1

From the beginning, Punggol road through SK should be designed as a 3 lane road. But the 2 lane all the way to Punggol flyover. This is is causing the major jammed as car exiting TPE at Punggol exit turn right to going straight to Punggol had only 1.5 lane . And the other 1.5 lane is right turn into TPE.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement