DSP Amp with stock speakers ?

ancient

I'm looking to improve the audio of my car and looking at a DSP/Amp and/or speakers. 

Would it make senses to do the DSP/Amp first and see if it's sufficient ?

Or should I just change the speakers first ? 

Does the shop normally charge to retune the DSP if you get the speakers elsewhere? Should this be something you can do yourself ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i was in your situation a few months ago. IMHO, you must know how much you prepared to spend

for your entire project. list them down like how much budget for speakers, dsp/amp, woofer, quality

cable and etc. i would advice to change your stock speakers first and move on from there. :)

just a side note, i was presented by my installer that some really high-end cable which is as thick as

a finger could costs couple of thousands. :lll._.:

i was in your situation a few months ago. IMHO, you must know how much you prepared to spend

for your entire project. list them down like how much budget for speakers, dsp/amp, woofer, quality

cable and etc. i would advice to change your stock speakers first and move on from there. :)

just a side note, i was presented by my installer that some really high-end cable which is as thick as

Yah, I had the same thing in mind, but the DSP/AMP I wanted is from a different shop from the one selling the speakers.  And the DSP/AMP person said to do the DSP/AMP first .. and then if I'm not happy with the sound, change the speakers.  Said that I might not even need to change my speakers. I thought it's always the other way, that the speakers make a bigger differences. 

Anyway, anybody using Audison APK / APX ? How's the clarity of the vocal ? I want something decent without paying a big bomb. Open to other CHEAPER suggestions.

And when I ask if there if retuning is required if I change speakers and if there is any cost to the retuning, there wasn't any reply.  

Edited by ancient

Yah, I had the same thing in mind, but the DSP/AMP I wanted is from a different shop from the one selling the speakers.  And the DSP/AMP person said to do the DSP/AMP first .. and then if I'm not happy with the sound, change the speakers.  Said that I might not even need to change my speakers. I thought it's always the other way, that the speakers make a bigger differences. 

Anyway, anybody using Audison APK / APX ? How's the clarity of the vocal ? I want something decent without paying a big bomb. Open to other CHEAPER suggestions.

And when I ask if there if retuning is required if I change speakers and if there is any cost to the retuning, there wasn't any reply.  

Are you going for active or passive setup?

If you are upgrading from stock, I think most people will go for upgrade of speakers and installation of amp in hand. This would reap the most benefits.

If you are going for active, there will be tuning involved. You can pay for their tuning services which may vary, depending on their kungfu. OR, you can try tuning on your own which is free and very fun to do so...

Yah, I had the same thing in mind, but the DSP/AMP I wanted is from a different shop from the one selling the speakers. And the DSP/AMP person said to do the DSP/AMP first .. and then if I'm not happy with the sound, change the speakers. Said that I might not even need to change my speakers. I thought it's always the other way, that the speakers make a bigger differences.

Anyway, anybody using Audison APK / APX ? How's the clarity of the vocal ? I want something decent without paying a big bomb. Open to other CHEAPER suggestions.

Get from the same shop is better, prevent finger pointing if things go wrong..

Get the shop to work out aomething for u

Get from the same shop is better, prevent finger pointing if things go wrong..

Get the shop to work out aomething for u

1. Price differences of $200+ if I get from same shop, and this was after negotiation.  

2. In general, I do agree that it's always better to go to 1 shop. But it's only speakers, so I don't think other than running around twice, there will be much differences and finger pointing. Not like I'm buying DSP & Amp from different shop. Unfortunately, I suddenly got tied up with work... LOL.. so will have to a break from looking into this for a few weeks. 

Edited by ancient

Are you going for active or passive setup?

If you are upgrading from stock, I think most people will go for upgrade of speakers and installation of amp in hand. This would reap the most benefits.

If you are going for active, there will be tuning involved. You can pay for their tuning services which may vary, depending on their kungfu. OR, you can try tuning on your own which is free and very fun to do so...

I'm not familiar with the term active vs passive. I assume passive means without an additional amp, just head unit, and active means with amp. I've given myself a budget of approx $1200/= , preferably less. 

In fact, I just saw the following, totally different product from what I was considering but this looks like a much cheaper option. Not sure if it's any good. Cannot find any real reviews, etc. Power output looks to be quite low, and they seem to be targeting a low end segment. 

https://www.pioneer.com.sg/sg/products-detail/index.html/?product=DEQ-S1000A

Edited by ancient

Happened to me too, guess this must be an industrial practice to make more money. Till today I still don't understand why I agreed to pay $800 more just for the 'upgraded' cabling........frankly, believe I could not tell the difference even if the packaged cables were used.  :a-bang:

Must do your homework & recce around before committing. You can't blame the installer, they tend to max the profit & not all of them are ethical. Right now I faced the dilemma whether to retrieve the audio system before scrap. Do not want to spend another $100 bucks to remove the system when I'm not sure these can be re-installed into my new car.

• Praise 1

1. Price differences of $200+ if I get from same shop, and this was after negotiation.

2. In general, I do agree that it's always better to go to 1 shop. But it's only speakers, so I don't think other than running around twice, there will be much differences and finger pointing. Not like I'm buying DSP & Amp from different shop. Unfortunately, I suddenly got tied up with work... LOL.. so will have to a break from looking into this for a few weeks.

Lets say something happen during the install and somehow the speaker kaput one day after?

Get the detailed breakdown of the $200 .. could be due to basic installation cost like power / speaker cable / mdf speaker ring etc

Happened to me too, guess this must be an industrial practice to make more money. Till today I still don't understand why I agreed to pay $800 more just for the 'upgraded' cabling........frankly, believe I could not tell the difference even if the packaged cables were used. :a-bang:

Must do your homework & recce around before committing. You can't blame the installer, they tend to max the profit & not all of them are ethical. Right now I faced the dilemma whether to retrieve the audio system before scrap. Do not want to spend another $100 bucks to remove the system when I'm not sure these can be re-installed into my new car.

u can retrieve .. but if u install it will have some warranty implication in your new car..

There are many foresters with Audio upgrades and the installer are pretty familiar with the car

Edited by Budgetice

Lets say something happen during the install and somehow the speaker kaput one day after?

Get the detailed breakdown of the $200 .. could be due to basic installation cost like power / speaker cable / mdf speaker ring etc

u can retrieve .. but if u install it will have some warranty implication in your new car..

There are many foresters with Audio upgrades and the installer are pretty familiar with the car

Hi,

Can share the 'audio upgrades' details/pricing & installers' names?

Thanks in advance.

What i did was, i went to a shop which carries some mid to high end stuffs. I experienced the SQ of the speakers base on my budget with still using my stock HU. After that, I realised that my HU cannot drive my new speakers to it peak level, so I upgrade my HU. I was told that my powerful speakers need a ppwerful amp to punch them after

I spent closed to $1k. Hanging there half way. Bopian, so add a powerful dsp/amp. Now, feel the punch is unbalance. Add another amp and a sub woofer. Still cannot catch the optimal level of punch I wanted. Do sound proofing...still some way to go if i have the time. :)

Music is part of a moment i can distress after a hard day work. Enjoy while you can.

I'm not familiar with the term active vs passive. I assume passive means without an additional amp, just head unit, and active means with amp. I've given myself a budget of approx $1200/= , preferably less. 

In fact, I just saw the following, totally different product from what I was considering but this looks like a much cheaper option. Not sure if it's any good. Cannot find any real reviews, etc. Power output looks to be quite low, and they seem to be targeting a low end segment. 

https://www.pioneer.com.sg/sg/products-detail/index.html/?product=DEQ-S1000A

Active Setup will usually cost > $1200...Passive setup is easily achieved with $1200..

Hi,

Can share the 'audio upgrades' details/pricing & installers' names?

Thanks in advance.

Just need to visit foon audio or audio solution facebook page.. shld see quite alot already

I'm looking to improve the audio of my car and looking at a DSP/Amp and/or speakers.

Would it make senses to do the DSP/Amp first and see if it's sufficient ?

Or should I just change the speakers first ?

Does the shop normally charge to retune the DSP if you get the speakers elsewhere? Should this be something you can do yourself ?

If stock speaker ...

Save it

Rather get a hu would be a better choice

Go passive. Easy on the pockets and with decent improvement over stock for sure.

What would you recommend for passive?

If stock speaker ...

Save it

Rather get a hu would be a better choice

Why? Every audio shop tells me the least return is actually HU.what should we expect from HU upgrade?

Active Setup will usually cost > $1200...Passive setup is easily achieved with $1200..

I get different advise about subwoofer. Some tell me no need. What would be your recommendation? Active or Passive?

Do you use cross over or dsp?

I get different advise about subwoofer. Some tell me no need. What would be your recommendation? Active or Passive?

Do you use cross over or dsp?

↡ Advertisement