2019 12th Gen Toyota Corolla Sedan

gemmoglock

2 hours ago, Ingenius said:

I see, didn't know these differences.  Only knew that hatchbacks are more sporty looking and probably has better handling, and sedan has a bigger bootspace and hence more practical.  Thanks for sharing.  No wonder Corolla buyers tend to go for the more practical sedan.

depends on which is more important to you, bigger boot or sporty looking?

↡ Advertisement

3 hours ago, Ingenius said:

I see, didn't know these differences.  Only knew that hatchbacks are more sporty looking and probably has better handling, and sedan has a bigger bootspace and hence more practical.  Thanks for sharing.  No wonder Corolla buyers tend to go for the more practical sedan.

It is a given that the sedan form factor is the least efficient among existing body style in terms of cargo capacity. This is why sedans are dying fast and u see big companies eg Ford abandoning all their sedans worldwide.You can boast 500L of boot space, but how are u going to make use of the inner most area where u almost need to crawl into the boot area to reach it?

U go to Ikea, and u bought some flat packs furniture back... is sedan the best bodystyle for it? U go to any florists to buy New Year flowers, can sedan boot area lets u bring the flowers back without crushing at least half of it? 

This is why customers are flocking to large SUVs worldwide. MPV would be the most ideal, but since driving MPVs are deemed uncool, a large tall SUV is the next best bet. Station wagon would be no 2 and hatch coming in 3rd place. Sedan has the worst possible body style, unless u own those 50-70s full size American cars where u can park a Smart car inside their boot space.  

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Contented said:

Sedan give you the better safety during collision. By design, boot can absorb impact from rear and protect passenger at rear.... I think... haha..

Thats statistically and technically inaccurate in today auto world. :D

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

It is a given that the sedan form factor is the least efficient among existing body style in terms of cargo capacity. This is why sedans are dying fast and u see big companies eg Ford abandoning all their sedans worldwide.

this is wrong. ford is abandoning ALL PASSENGER CAR sales in NORTH AMERICA. the still have a big market of focus and fiestas and to some extend the mondeo in UK and australia.. their decision has nothing to do with sedan or hatch but due to their market share of PASSENGER CARS in NORTH AMERICA. sadly for the singapore market, i believe they have decided to follow Ford North America since given COE restrictions and pricing, they can't afford to compete with japanese cars. but the car market is still going strong in the UK and Australia..

personally though, i find sedan form factor more efficient. i also think you have to see the style of the car. Eg. new corolla HATCH design made its boot space the least in it's class. compare that with their sedan, the sedan will have much more load capability. but if you look at mazda 3, a3 etc. the style doesn't limit their hatch cargo capacity, so in that case, the hatch may have a better efficiency in swallowing up cargo..

Edited by louisbosco
  • Praise 3

I am putting this new Corolla in my list of potential next new car. Am driving a 4 wheel drive crossover now and the high center of gravity, cannot beat a saloon car when cornering. Had the most satisfaction out of my previous Corolla , among the Japanese, Koreans and conti that I had owned. As age catch up, the very good balance of comfort and driveability of the Corolla is perfect for me.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 4

5 hours ago, Ingenius said:

Guys, if a car model you wish to buy has both sedan and hatchback, what are the pros and cons of each choice ?  Which will you buy ? 

Personally I prefer the sedan shape so I’ll buy sedan. And hatchback boot is too small for me although it’s more versatile.

the hatch rear door may rattle when it’s old also.

• Praise 4

I think Toyota is not maintaining their quality as before...  they are out of touch with their customer service department in Japan. Maybe my next car will not be Toyota anymore...

44 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

Personally I prefer the sedan shape so I’ll buy sedan. And hatchback boot is too small for me although it’s more versatile.

the hatch rear door may rattle when it’s old also.

I prefer the sedan too, cos when come to luggage, space is crucial. Somehow I have the perception that having a boot to balance the front engine bay, makes a salon car more stable I.e. balanced. 

18 hours ago, Contented said:

The Altis getting smaller... Especially passenger seat...  hmm... 

From where did you see that the Altis is getting smaller?

14 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

From where did you see that the Altis is getting smaller?

Google ard bro. Go youtube and check out various taiwan road test videos of the G12 Corolla. The G12 rear legroom shrank as compared to G11. Front legroom also suffered as well. The new dash protrude way too much outwards. 

The design is not friendly for tall people with long legs. 

34 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

I only know that the Altis is overpriced  at $97K for the base standard model - https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11448

Price comparison with competitors (lowest grade, base model)

Honda Civic 1.6 - $95K
Subaru Impreza 2.0 - $90K
Nissan Sylphy 1.6 - $86K
Kia Cerato 1.6 - $78K
Hyundai Avante 1.6 - $75K

wow about 20k premium over the Koreans, didn't realize that.

Power of branding

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

Google ard bro. Go youtube and check out various taiwan road test videos of the G12 Corolla. The G12 rear legroom shrank as compared to G11. Front legroom also suffered as well. The new dash protrude way too much outwards. 

The design is not friendly for tall people with long legs. 

First of all, please don't call me bro cos you don't know me. Secondly, I am not too excited about your reply cos I wasn't asking you the question. Although i must add that when i DO ask you questions, you tend not to reply me.

Thanks.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

I start to lost confident with Toyota... and BM.. simple common sense feature they also cannot understand...  the reason most people buy Toyota is because of their quality reputation and trust... 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

A hatchback has a more versatile boot. The wider tailgate opening will allow loading of larger items like a mini-fridge for example, although the actual capacity may be smaller.

A sedan may be a little quieter due to better rear bulkhead insulation that cuts out some road noise from the back.

The best of both worlds will be the wagon version. The Corolla Sports Tourer. Has the sporty looks of the hatch, the space of a Sedan and better yet a bigger boot than both. And given it's a wagon bodystyle, the handling balance will be much better than both too due to the weight behind the rear section. But too bad, the market here has no love for wagon BUT the interest seems to be rising though. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1