2019 12th Gen Toyota Corolla Sedan

gemmoglock

6 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Well the reason is obvious. How many cars can BM sell in SG anyway? Our yearly sale numbers of Altis maybe even lower than what Thailand and bolehland markets can sell in a month. 

Yet BM is asking Toyota to del this and that and in this case, put in certain 1.8G specs stuff in a base taxi grade 1.6E.  Of cos we are given bottom priority la.  

Well this PI is selling the Corolla hatch hybrid for quite some time liao. Aussie market model hence you got everything included and no ugly 2DIN hole. 

But is LTA so blur that they can't difference between Corolla hatch and sedan? 

image.png.d76c94c7bdd0c5acfd4b67f5ddf88c92.png

how muchie?

this one is 120k ley

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Spring said:

Thks for sharing! I had my doubts on Borneo bringing the hybrid in as it would be expensive for sure and this car is supposedly in the B&B segment hence if too pricey, it would not sell. If Standard is indeed base and Elegance with Sensing, I think it would make perfect sense to cater for the price sensitive and those willing to pay for more features respectively.

Wonder what the price diff between the 2 models would be? 

If based on past years case study on altis sold by BM. Usually, standard and elegance price diff is around 5-7k.

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, 13177 said:

If based on past years case study on altis sold by BM. Usually, standard and elegance price diff is around 5-7k.

Thks but this time the difference shld be more as the full suite of Sensing is supposedly included in Elegance. I'm expecting no less than $10k?

• Praise 4

3 minutes ago, Spring said:

Thks but this time the difference shld be more as the full suite of Sensing is supposedly included in Elegance. I'm expecting no less than $10k?

Maybe more since altis pricing always not cheap also, no matter standard or elegance. So if the new altis comes with full spec, the price will be at least $115k with the current coe since it is a toyota? You see the new mazda 3 highest spec version also priced around $110k liao.

12 hours ago, Ingenius said:

Surely you understand that the Altis is positioned as a b&B car in the cat A Coe segment, it has to keep its engine output and OMV within the limits, that's why it cannot be higher than 1.6l, and parts have to be trimmed down or locally fitted. Not every car has to be the bestest and most expensive it can be, no thanks to our tax structure. 

then i think LTA and the government needs to look at the COE categories again. maybe a revision is needed.

130bhp for b&b cars are getting rarer by the years. they thought that 130bhp can cap people buying small turbo engines in the past (EG. golf and jetta's 1.4T). it is easy nowadays for small b&b cars to output more than 130bhp thanks to technology advancements. if we don't keep up to date, we'll lag behind with scraps and past generation technology. not to mention, paying more for outdated stuff.

• Praise 4

10 hours ago, louisbosco said:

then i think LTA and the government needs to look at the COE categories again. maybe a revision is needed.

130bhp for b&b cars are getting rarer by the years. they thought that 130bhp can cap people buying small turbo engines in the past (EG. golf and jetta's 1.4T). it is easy nowadays for small b&b cars to output more than 130bhp thanks to technology advancements. if we don't keep up to date, we'll lag behind with scraps and past generation technology. not to mention, paying more for outdated stuff.

who cares? govt still earns money from the coe regardless cause sporeans will still pay and in SG, how often you get to maximize the full potential of lets say a twin turbo churning 300+hp with 400+ torque anyway. by the time u floor the accelerator, you are either nearing the next traffic light or dealing with a road hogger unless you drive up north often. 

just look at attrage, puny 1.2 at 60k and people still buy. cerato lx/ex only 2 airbags selling at 70+k, people still buy. honda city/jazz 1.3 with 2 airbags selling at 80k/70k, people still buy. 

Edited by ferrytales

On 10/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, Cheefarn said:

Some PI brought in the JDM G12 Corolla wagon. Too bad they can't spell the nameplate correctly :D 

100% loan😍😍. I need to make a trip to showroom soon.

• Haha! 2

21 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

who cares? govt still earns money from the coe regardless cause sporeans will still pay and in SG, how often you get to maximize the full potential of lets say a twin turbo churning 300+hp with 400+ torque anyway. by the time u floor the accelerator, you are either nearing the next traffic light or dealing with a road hogger unless you drive up north often. 

just look at attrage, puny 1.2 at 60k and people still buy. cerato lx/ex only 2 airbags selling at 70+k, people still buy. honda city/jazz 1.3 with 2 airbags selling at 80k/70k, people still buy. 

i'm not talking about those cars or those power levels. higher output of 130bhp doesn't mean flooring it between traffic lights or because you drive up north. the tuning of the vehicle helps emissions figures too and sometimes it outputs more than 130bhp

if you look at new generation corolla for example, standard engines in the range output less than 130 but it's 1.8L. misses cat A, stuck with old 1.6 unit because of cat A. now i'm not sure what the VES surcharge is, but i'm sure the hybrid unit will output less emissions that the 1.6.

or if you look at civic, 1.5 turbo is meant to be their "new" engine for basic models. but that will fall under cat b because of power output. so we're stuck with old 1.6 new units from last gen civic.. 

• Praise 2

22 hours ago, ferrytales said:

The lack of road space is a common excuse for not wanting more powerful car. The truth is sg road on non peak hours are still capable of supporting short burst up to 100+ on a normal road.

Of course got people still buying attrage or other cheap city cars. It's because they either don't mind driving slow crap or can't afford to get a decent cars.

Anyway back to topic - even with 130hp cap on cat a cars, I don't see turbo cars being an obstacle here. The engine can be detuned to 100-120 horse which you see some 1.4-1.6t engine from basic merc and Volkswagen models. The only reason for toyota offering 1.6 NA today is the lack of interest to kill this 10-20 year old engine standard 

Edited by Ceecookie

2 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

Anyway back to topic - even with 130hp cap on cat a cars, I don't see turbo cars being an obstacle here. The engine can be detuned to 100-120 horse which you see some 1.4-1.6t engine from basic merc and Volkswagen models. The only reason for toyota offering 1.6 NA today is the lack of interest to kill this 10-20 year old engine standard 

yeah they can detune, but what will that do to your VES band. detuning a car doesn't necessarily mean better emmissions. it could mean worse since that wasn't the intended function and it's slugging off the powertrain.

also, you say lack of interest but i feel there's nowhere toyota (or BM rather) can go. they can offer the 1.8hybrid but that'll put them in cat b.. or they can downsize, but the effects might be worse..

9 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

The lack of road space is a common excuse for not wanting more powerful car. The truth is sg road on non peak hours are still capable of supporting short burst up to 100+ on a normal road.

Of course got people still buying attrage or other cheap city cars. It's because they either don't mind driving slow crap or can't afford to get a decent cars.

Why should factory detune for us?

18 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Actually I was referring to detuned engines offered by the manufacturers as part of their basic line up for global market. For example the GLA180 and GLA200 share the identical 1.6t engine, but tuned to 116~ hp for the former.

For toyota, their 1.2t engine already fit to cat A so turbo is not an obstacle. It's just BM opting for the cheaper 1.6 NA engine option for more profit.

Edited by Ceecookie

2 minutes ago, Ceecookie said:

Actually I was referring to detuned engines offered by the manufacturers as part of their basic line up for global market. For example the GLA180 and GLA200 share the identical 1.6t engine, but tuned to 116~ hp for the former.

For toyota, their 1.2t engine already fit to cat A so turbo is not an obstacle. It's just BM opting for the cheaper 1.6 NA engine option for more profit.

For Asean Corolla, only 1.6, 1.8 & 2 is offered.

13 hours ago, Davidtch said:

They already did. Komoco was somehow big F**k enough and ordered Hyundai to specially DETUNED the current batch of i30 hatch (note, just hatch, wagon remains the same) to make it 129hp instead of 140hp from the same 1.4L T. 

Specs were further lowered so that it can sell for <100k and hopefully buyers will find it a great deal since its below the 'physiological' $100k mark. 

But seems like all these troubles are not working. The detuned i30 remains unseen on the roads.  

• Praise 3

12 hours ago, Davidtch said:

For Asean Corolla, only 1.6, 1.8 & 2 is offered.

For G12 Corolla, max is 1.8L in this part of the world. 2L would be the new Dynamic Force engine that u see in the Corolla hatch. You can import one in from Taiwan as shown here. 

20 hours ago, louisbosco said:

yeah they can detune, but what will that do to your VES band. detuning a car doesn't necessarily mean better emmissions. it could mean worse since that wasn't the intended function and it's slugging off the powertrain.

also, you say lack of interest but i feel there's nowhere toyota (or BM rather) can go. they can offer the 1.8hybrid but that'll put them in cat b.. or they can downsize, but the effects might be worse..

The 1.6L will kenna CEVS C1, so there's a 10k cash reward for LTA for every new G12 Altis sold. :D 

2 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

For G12 Corolla, max is 1.8L in this part of the world. 2L would be the new Dynamic Force engine that u see in the Corolla hatch. You can import one in from Taiwan as shown here. 

And drive here as a LHD?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2