2019 12th Gen Toyota Corolla Sedan

gemmoglock

Interesting commentary extracted from an article in UK Autocar magazine. 

"Toyota

Dependable, reliable, trustworthy… all words traditionally associated with Toyota that risk damning it with faint praise and rather overlook the incredible transformation it has undergone in recent years. This is best illustrated by Toyota’s shift from bland to shocking styling but underpinned by everything from its hybrid and fuel cell dominance to the dynamic ability of its TNGA platform and rumoured leadership in the breakthrough field of solid-cell battery technology. Then there is the heartfelt development of electrified, autonomous mobility solutions created with an emphasis on aiding the infirm, elderly and disabled.

Certainly anyone who witnessed company president Akio Toyoda’s charismatic Tokyo motor show speech – made on a stand that didn’t have a single traditional car on display, but rather a dizzying mix of autonomous pods, disability mobility aids and, erm, an electrically driven witch’s broom – couldn’t criticise either the scale of the firm’s ambitions or the absolute integrity of its intent. Pronouncements emerging about the firm’s future plans may frequently sit somewhere between being inscrutable and baffling, but cut through the chaff and a picture soon emerges of a world leader in action.

The driver behind this – beyond Toyoda’s inspirational leadership – is the Toyota Group’s trend-busting financial health. By most measures, it is not only the world’s largest producer of cars – a goal it has notably never set itself, nor publicly set any store by – but also one of the most profitable. Its margins have been averaging around 6%-8% over the past five years, a level that has, at times, rivalled that of much smaller, purely premium car makers, let alone ones in the mainstream where Toyota predominantly lives.

Data from analysts LMC Automotive suggests that while so-called light-vehicle (car) production in the Asia-Pacific region is on course to drop by 6% year on year in 2019, mainly as a result of output declines in China and India, Toyota’s production volume is expected to grow by 5%. That will mean it is one of only two of the top 10 makers in the region to grow. Likewise, and more significant for stability, Toyota’s global output is expected to rise 3% against a market average drop of 5%.

Driving this volume growth are refreshed mainstream, global models such as the Corolla and RAV4 – both significantly sold with hybrid options, as are an increasing number of Toyotas like the revised CH-R and new Yaris. When car making is done well, large profits follow – and this cash-rich environment is the ideal one from which to be making the huge capital investments required at a time of change and instability.

This scale also gives Toyota opportunities that others are scrabbling to replicate, be it through acquisition, merger or partnership. Not only can it spread its investment costs across more cars sold than rivals, but it has also been growing its influence by setting the standard around co-operations for some time, both at home (it holds shares in Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki and Yamaha, among others) and internationally (most notably with BMW, on projects including everything from the Supra to fuel cell development).

Critics say Toyota has been slow to develop electric cars. Insiders say it remains unconvinced that battery-electric technology is the right environmental answer. But with the world’s leaders having set a seemingly prescriptive course, Toyota is now using its hybrid know-how to respond, unleashing its scale and profit-driven R&D budgets to ensure it remains at the top of the industry."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

23 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Interesting commentary extracted from an article in UK Autocar magazine. 

"Toyota

Dependable, reliable, trustworthy… all words traditionally associated with Toyota that risk damning it with faint praise and rather overlook the incredible transformation it has undergone in recent years. This is best illustrated by Toyota’s shift from bland to shocking styling but underpinned by everything from its hybrid and fuel cell dominance to the dynamic ability of its TNGA platform and rumoured leadership in the breakthrough field of solid-cell battery technology. Then there is the heartfelt development of electrified, autonomous mobility solutions created with an emphasis on aiding the infirm, elderly and disabled.

Certainly anyone who witnessed company president Akio Toyoda’s charismatic Tokyo motor show speech – made on a stand that didn’t have a single traditional car on display, but rather a dizzying mix of autonomous pods, disability mobility aids and, erm, an electrically driven witch’s broom – couldn’t criticise either the scale of the firm’s ambitions or the absolute integrity of its intent. Pronouncements emerging about the firm’s future plans may frequently sit somewhere between being inscrutable and baffling, but cut through the chaff and a picture soon emerges of a world leader in action.

The driver behind this – beyond Toyoda’s inspirational leadership – is the Toyota Group’s trend-busting financial health. By most measures, it is not only the world’s largest producer of cars – a goal it has notably never set itself, nor publicly set any store by – but also one of the most profitable. Its margins have been averaging around 6%-8% over the past five years, a level that has, at times, rivalled that of much smaller, purely premium car makers, let alone ones in the mainstream where Toyota predominantly lives.

Data from analysts LMC Automotive suggests that while so-called light-vehicle (car) production in the Asia-Pacific region is on course to drop by 6% year on year in 2019, mainly as a result of output declines in China and India, Toyota’s production volume is expected to grow by 5%. That will mean it is one of only two of the top 10 makers in the region to grow. Likewise, and more significant for stability, Toyota’s global output is expected to rise 3% against a market average drop of 5%.

Driving this volume growth are refreshed mainstream, global models such as the Corolla and RAV4 – both significantly sold with hybrid options, as are an increasing number of Toyotas like the revised CH-R and new Yaris. When car making is done well, large profits follow – and this cash-rich environment is the ideal one from which to be making the huge capital investments required at a time of change and instability.

This scale also gives Toyota opportunities that others are scrabbling to replicate, be it through acquisition, merger or partnership. Not only can it spread its investment costs across more cars sold than rivals, but it has also been growing its influence by setting the standard around co-operations for some time, both at home (it holds shares in Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki and Yamaha, among others) and internationally (most notably with BMW, on projects including everything from the Supra to fuel cell development).

Critics say Toyota has been slow to develop electric cars. Insiders say it remains unconvinced that battery-electric technology is the right environmental answer. But with the world’s leaders having set a seemingly prescriptive course, Toyota is now using its hybrid know-how to respond, unleashing its scale and profit-driven R&D budgets to ensure it remains at the top of the industry."

You are not allowed to post this cos you will be branded as a TL 🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 12/16/2019 at 12:15 PM, Alicetankk said:

I also never see any other similar model on the road except mine.  Maybe it is due to the fact that there are only 100 on the road. SE did say that they have to request for this number from HQ if not their year end sales figure all eat grass since their main bread and butter car is Altis. And they have cleared the old model. Main shipment will come in January.  

I must have been lucky, cos I spied 5 examples in the past week. All are the higher spec version with the bigger rims. None are PHVs. The styling doesn't really wow me and I feel it's not quite an advance on the G11,  but looks pleasant enough. 

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I must have been lucky, cos I spied 5 examples in the past week. All are the higher spec version with the bigger rims. None are PHVs. The styling doesn't really wow me and I feel it's not quite an advance on the G11,  but looks pleasant enough. 

The global hatchback model is very handsome, the sedan I feel the previous gen has better proportions.

I am just face-palm over SG getting the manual handbrake, when Malaysia (CKD from Thailand) and Thailand (where SG corollas come from) both get the electronic handbrake.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, Kia7200 said:

Wow ppl like u just can't accept any negative facts. Low EQ sia

Finger pointing we see...... pot calling kettle black tsk tsk...

• Haha! 3

9 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

The global hatchback model is very handsome, the sedan I feel the previous gen has better proportions.

I am just face-palm over SG getting the manual handbrake, when Malaysia (CKD from Thailand) and Thailand (where SG corollas come from) both get the electronic handbrake.

Interesting, why would the factory  want to produce 2 different handbrake and electronic brake versions. I would think it will be cheaper to just mass produce one version, unless the volume is high enough, which means other than sgp, there are other third world countries behind Malaysia and Thailand are buying the cheaper hand brake version 😅

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Shouyi said:

Straits Times (19 Dec) says parallel Importers have started selling their version of the Altis. Got meh ?

I saw a PI Corolla already. The hatchback one

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

For Malaysia, the lower spec 1.8L uses handbrake.

For Thailand, only 1.6L uses handbrake. All other version use electronic parking brake.

• Praise 1

On 12/22/2019 at 4:30 PM, Camrysfa said:

ST report 21 Dec 19...... quite good buy eh?  below 95K!

ho61cGb.jpg

Only in Singapore when a car below 95k is a good buy. Gotta be kidding me. 

12 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

For a toyota altis which can get it below 95k, many people confirmed would say good buy. 😂

20 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

Well it is what it is here. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2