2019 12th Gen Toyota Corolla Sedan

gemmoglock

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

This morning, Corolla Sport Hybrid stopped next to me this morning.  Not Quiet.

Sounds like water running through water pipe

Engine normally off when hybrid stops at lights

↡ Advertisement

On 9/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, inlinesix said:

Toyota emblem means from Toyota Australia.

C emblem means from Toyota Japan.

There is no manufacturing facilities for Toyota in Australia, this was already discussed in another thread. Even the Aussie reviewers said their Corolla is from Japan. I'm surprised grey market car dealers managed to source the export models. But I want the "C" logo for the full-fledge JDM Corolla. 😎

• Praise 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, Mkl22 said:

Many toyota hybrids running around. I’m sure there is more than 1 shop out there to fix. 
anyway factory warranty is only 3years. The extended warranties are rubbish insurance based warranties which at a stoke of a pen can be voided at their whim and fancy. I rather not subject myself to that. 
will use whatever savings from buying PI to effect a repair. If in the end the cost of repairs are greater then it is just my luck. 
warranties are so subjective these days anyway. 

inflated servicing for a simple oil change and grossly marked up prices for parts During the warranty period is also savings if one chooses not to take PI warranty. 
If I buy PI I will take my chances, with no warranty and the car as is. That will save me another 1.5-2k as PI has to pay for the same insurance based warranty to cover the 1st 3years. 

PI sounds good and all but there are downsides to getting from PI. Honda shuttle is probably the most common PI car on the roads now. Yet I have a friend who has a crack in his windshield which is technically covered by insurance. However, no workshop is able to get the windshield for the car and those that are able to order, got rejected by the insurer as not from official source so can't cover. Now LL suck thumb drive around with a patched up cracked glass. 

2 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

If possible,  avoid buying from  PI

thats you... plenty of PI cars out there and they continue to increase.

Now that cars are so advance in technology. Any safety issues the car can either be updated thru software or do hardware recall.

Can PI do either or both?

New car doesn't come issue free.

You can save quite a few dollars but you get no support. No free lunch lah.

10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Now that cars are so advance in technology. Any safety issues the car can either be updated thru software or do hardware recall.

Can PI do either or both?

New car doesn't come issue free.

You can save quite a few dollars but you get no support. No free lunch lah.

IMHO. 
True.  Feel safe boh? 

TOYOTA
AURIS (PARALLEL IMPORTED) , PRIUS (PARALLEL IMPORTED) , PRIUS ALPHA (PARALLEL IMPORTED)25 Jun 2020

Recall details provided by motor dealer:
Due to inadequate abnormality detection of the control program, if the booster circuit element is damaged during high load running such as sudden acceleration from extremely low speed, the vehicle may not enter failsafe mode.

MAZDA
CX-3 , CX-5 , CX-9 , MAZDA2 , MAZDA3 , MAZDA6 , MX-527 Aug 2020

Certain low-pressure fuel pumps located in the fuel tank contain low-density impellers. Due to this, if the impellers become dry during the period between pump production and vehicle installation, in continued use, the impellers may excessively absorb fuel and deform.

TOYOTA
RAV 418 May 2020

The subject vehicles are equipped with front lower arms connecting the front wheels to the vehicle front cross member. Due to certain improper production conditions that occurred at the steel material supplier, a steel slab that was used to produce front lower arms may have had cracks on some portions of its surface.

TOYOTA
PRIUS22 Jun 2020

The subject vehicles were not involved in Safety Recall 18V-684 because they were originally equipped with a version of the software, used to control the boost converter in the Intelligent Power Module (IPM) within the inverter assembly of the vehicle hybrid system, that contains improved thermal management. Repeated driving under certain identified high-load driving patterns e.g., from a stop, applying nearly full throttle and then gradually further accelerating to full throttle could cause higher thermal stress in specific transistors in the IPM, resulting in damage to those transistors over time.

Source Enquire Vehicle Recalls In Last 6 Months

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Safe lah. As long as you have a good family background and has a bright future ahead. You will not be so suay wan lah.

Eh...   bright future is relatively..... 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:14 PM, inlinesix said:

I know.  I can hear noise from the engine bay.

Like water running through pipes.  

Sounds like poor sound-proofing. So, langah bicycle cannot claim run over tweaks cannot hear liao.

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros. Need to seek your opinion on this.

Im driving the 2019 Corolla Altis standard. Bought brand new from BM. About 1 month old. Since about a week after collected the car, I noticed there is  intermittent jerking when I accelerate from stop. It does not come all the time, experience it about once a week. I'm not able to replicate it, so worried that bring to BM they also dunno how to fix.

Mileage now is about 4000km, and I have already felt this symptom 3-4 times already. 

Usually happens when I accelerate from stop to about 30km/h, then I let go the accelerator for a few sec to coast, then when I step the accelerator again, there is this jerking/ shaking back and forth movement then the car began to accelerate. It kinda feel like u shift into too high a gear when driving a manual car.

Usually need to drive this way is when I moved off, then suddenly traffic piled up ( but if u lift off accelerator and not step on anything, u can still maintain safety distance). Not sure it mattered, 2 times was when I'm coming out from a slip toad or making a right turn.

No warning lights. Plug in scan tool also no error codes

This is my first CVT and Toyota, so not sure if it's usual behavior for a CVT, or for a Toyota. Googled around and mostly points to wear and tear. Mine is very new, so don't think those info are valid

Thanks all

Edited by Lack

On 9/24/2020 at 7:32 AM, Lack said:

Hi bros. Need to seek your opinion on this.

Im driving the 2019 Corolla Altis standard. Bought brand new from BM. About 1 month old. Since about a week after collected the car, I noticed there is  intermittent jerking when I accelerate from stop. It does not come all the time, experience it about once a week. I'm not able to replicate it, so worried that bring to BM they also dunno how to fix.

I had exactly the same problem with my 2016 Altis. So obvious until my kids say why the car so jerky when they rode it the first week, and my maid complained she want to puke.

My experience

• no problem with hard acceleration
  • it is when I drove gently on the problem was observed. e.g. cruising on the highway and take foot off accelerator, then gently depress accelerator to maintain speed. then the car jerks.  

I reported the problem to Ubi service center at first service. the responses (you can see my old thread) were

• "is this you first car?"  and a hint that this is a B&B car and i cannot expect much comfort.
  • asked mechanics to drive together and compare with test drive car. he purposely kept on turning the steering on the test drive car to make it feel shaky.  at the end all he did was reduce PSI on my tyres .

Disappointing experience with Ubi . No choice but to live with the problem.  

Never returned to Ubi for service ever despite it is a convenient location for me.

UNTIL...

During a period I needed my car a most, the Check engine light (CEL) came on. Sent to Pandan. They spent a whole day to check and said some sensor malfunctioned. Need to replace but dunno how long it will take to ship from Japan to Singapore, and no way to tell me the shipment status because they dont have such system.   Another disappointment for BM being an established AD yet didn't even want to arrange a rushed courier delivery but rather want to keep my car with them for 4-6 weeks. They think i buy the car for parking and COE to burn.

The car jerked like when we learn to drive MT , during the last 1-2 days before CEL came on.

Moral of story - tell BM a problem that is reproducible is not enough. It has to be broken.

After replacement, noticeably much smoother drive but the psychological effect is there and always watching out for the jerk.

Edited by ConnorMcLeod

Since the 8th generation Corolla Altis, QC and workmanship started going downhill when the Thai assembled models were introduced.

If you recall, there were some apprehension about the Thai assembled models, and Borneo Motors ran a story that it was to keep costs low and the savings would be passed back to consumers. But the Altis continued to remain one of the most expensive bread and butter cars.

I personally detest the lack of integrity in Borneo Motors after sales. Been going back to them for servicing and they like to add this $96 Value Buy 4-in-1 snake oil which consists some engine additives, and engine flush & air con flush. Plus the toxic upgrade to Motul engine  oil for an additional $100+.

Look at how it escalated a normal servicing bill to over $500.

Screenshot_20200928-221019~2.png

Neutral Newbie

Thanks all for the replies.

@ConnorMcLeod

Your 2016 Altis is cvt also? So your subsequent service u go to other BM branch complaint about the jerking issue also no use?

Edited by Lack

22 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Since the 8th generation Corolla Altis, QC and workmanship started going downhill when the Thai assembled models were introduced.

If you recall, there were some apprehension about the Thai assembled models, and Borneo Motors ran a story that it was to keep costs low and the savings would be passed back to consumers. But the Altis continued to remain one of the most expensive bread and butter cars.

I personally detest the lack of integrity in Borneo Motors after sales. Been going back to them for servicing and they like to add this $96 Value Buy 4-in-1 snake oil which consists some engine additives, and engine flush & air con flush. Plus the toxic upgrade to Motul engine  oil for an additional $100+.

Look at how it escalated a normal servicing bill to over $500.

Screenshot_20200928-221019~2.png

IMHO & AFAIK. 
If the TRD Motul is similar to what is available in retail,  it should contain the necessary type of EO and additives to clean the engine without needing engine flush. 
Moreover,  the engine oil (EO)  flows using oil channels and the VVTI-i uses EO to activate the camshaft 
Engine oil with added engine flush may be left in these areas and not completely drained. 

1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

I had exactly the same problem with my 2016 Altis. So obvious until my kids say why the car so jerky when they rode it the first week, and my maid complained she want to puke.

My experience

• no problem with hard acceleration
  • it is when I drove gently on the problem was observed. e.g. cruising on the highway and take foot off accelerator, then gently depress accelerator to maintain speed. then the car jerks.  

I reported the problem to Ubi service center at first service. the responses (you can see my old thread) were

• "is this you first car?"  and a hint that this is a B&B car and i cannot expect much comfort.
  • asked mechanics to drive together and compare with test drive car. he purposely kept on turning the steering on the test drive car to make it feel shaky.  at the end all he did was reduce PSI on my tyres .

Disappointing experience with Ubi . No choice but to live with the problem.  

Never returned to Ubi for service ever despite it is a convenient location for me.

UNTIL...

During a period I needed my car a most, the Check engine light (CEL) came on. Sent to Pandan. They spent a whole day to check and said some sensor malfunctioned. Need to replace but dunno how long it will take to ship from Japan to Singapore, and no way to tell me the shipment status because they dont have such system.   Another disappointment for BM being an established AD yet didn't even want to arrange a rushed courier delivery but rather want to keep my car with them for 4-6 weeks. They think i buy the car for parking and COE to burn.

The car jerked like when we learn to drive MT , during the last 1-2 days before CEL came on.

Moral of story - tell BM a problem that is reproducible is not enough. It has to be broken.

After replacement, noticeably much smoother drive but the psychological effect is there and always watching out for the jerk.

Eh... I thought your issue resolved already ? 
In the service report,  what was the item changed? 

↡ Advertisement