Car with cheapest horsepower in SG

Thaiyotakamli

Horsepower has always been a universal indicator of a car's performance. So, let's find out what are the cars that offers the lowest cost per bhp!

To a car enthusiast, every detail in the specification sheet of a car is important as they all play a part in painting a complete picture of the car in point. To most people, however, information such as 'double wishbones suspension', 'Carbon fibre monocoque' or 'gasoline direct injection' are just technical jargons that serve little purpose. Horsepower, however, is much simpler to understand.

As the term suggests, the origin of this unit of measurement came from the desire to compare the output of an engine to that of horses (which were used to complete tasks such as pulling carriages in the past). So, more horsepower equals to more energy which is surely a plus point! Our aim here is to find the cars that give you your metaphorical horses at the lowest price point, which will no doubt means the best deal (because, clearly, power is the only thing that matters).

Here are the top 20 new cars with the cheapest horsepower.

1. Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI RS245

$539/bhp

Price: $129,900 (including COE)

Bhp: 241

OMV: $26,004

Annual Depreciation: $11,600

2. Kia Stinger 3.3 GT V6

$542.46/bhp

Price: $197,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 365

OMV: $42,239

Annual Depreciation: $17,200

3. SEAT Leon CUPRA 2.0 TSI DSG

$543.36/bhp

Price: $155,400 (including COE)

Bhp: 286

OMV: $33,884

Annual Depreciation: $13,500

4. Maxus G10 Executive 2.0T Luxury

$544.18/bhp

Price: $116,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 215

OMV: $25,085 (Flagship)

Annual Depreciation: $10,343.95

5. Subaru Forester 2.0 XT

$549.58/bhp

Price: $130,800 (including COE)

Bhp: 238

OMV: $16,760

Annual Depreciation: $12,200

6. Mazda CX-3 2.0 Standard

$575.64/bhp

Price: $89,800 (including COE)

Bhp: 156

OMV: $17,024

Annual Depreciation: $8,100

7. Hyundai Elantra 1.6 GLS

$587.29/bhp

Price: $73,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 126

OMV: $12,424

Annual Depreciation: $6778.7

8. Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI Ambition

$589.40/bhp

Price: $127,900 (including COE)

Bhp: 217

OMV: $27,255 (Ambition Plus)

Annual Depreciation: $11,282.15

9. Subaru WRX 2.5 STI M

$593.92/bhp

Price: $175,800 (including COE)

Bhp: 296

OMV: $26,700

Annual Depreciation: $16,100

10. Subaru WRX 2.0 M

$597.73/bhp

Price: $157,800 (including COE)

Bhp: 264

OMV: $24,239

Annual Depreciation: $14,500

11. Renault Megane RS 1.8T TCe

$597.82/bhp

Price: $164,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 276

OMV: $30,800

Annual Depreciation: $14,700

12. Honda Civic Type-R 2.0 Turbo

$598.04/bhp

Price: $182,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 306

OMV: $41,257

Annual Depreciation: $15,800

13. Toyota Harrier 2.0 Elegance (MY18)

$599.07/bhp

Price: $135,988 (including COE)

Bhp: 227

OMV: $32,604

Annual Depreciation: $11,700

14. Kia Cerato 1.6 L

$603.17/bhp

Price: $75,999 (including COE)

Bhp: 126

OMV: $11,115

Annual Depreciation: $7,000

15. Perodua Bezza 1.3 Premium X (M)

$604.26/bhp

Price: $56,800 (including COE)

Bhp: 94

OMV: $10,986

Annual Depreciation: $5130.70

Source: https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=e&AID=3628

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 18

Interesting list. 

Actually, from a depreciation pa/hp, both the Stinger ($47.1) and the Cupra ($47.2) appear to be more "cost effective" than the VRS 245 ($48.1). 

Also, good to note that all 3 are cheaper than the previous hp/$ champion Forester XT. 

I suppose the i30N will also be on the list once the pricing / OMV is confirmed. 

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4  [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

• Praise 2

Interesting list.

Actually, from a depreciation pa/hp, both the Stinger ($47.1) and the Cupra ($47.2) appear to be more "cost effective" than the VRS 245 ($48.1).

Also, good to note that all 3 are cheaper than the previous hp/$ champion Forester XT.

I suppose the i30N will also be on the list once the pricing / OMV is confirmed.

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4 [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

yes they should filter out those below 200bhp.

If suv, it should be forester or harrier turbo for most value for money

Interesting list.

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4 [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

Hyundai i30n is a good option, is expensive in comparison with others and when you drive it, you thi k that is a beast, but i can recomend you that look for volkswagen gti mk7, i have it and is absolutely amazing, Gti is a perfect car for everyday because isn’t too poweful and the fuel consumption is okay
  • Praise 1

Interesting discussion but should filter out according to category,

E.g $/HP for SUV, MPV, Sedan etc.

Agree but from the list we can see easily whats the best in market that suits our need.

For example for suv theres forester and harrier

For sedan/hatch its octavia or stinger

For mpv can consider maxus etc

• Praise 1

Interesting discussion but should filter out according to category,

E.g $/HP for SUV, MPV, Sedan etc.

Please help to do so and also do remind to minus away the parf value from the total cost to show the truth value. For example a XT might show at the higer ranking but if one take into the considersation of their pathetic OMV, it’s ranking may drop as compare with others

Please help to do so and also do remind to minus away the parf value from the total cost to show the truth value. For example a XT might show at the higer ranking but if one take into the considersation of their pathetic OMV, itâs ranking may drop as compare with others

Using depreciation pa/hp, you can see the effect. As mentioned, Stinger is cheaper than VRS, Cupra, Forester as XT by that measure. For what it's worth.

Using depreciation pa/hp, you can see the effect. As mentioned, Stinger is cheaper than VRS, Cupra, Forester as XT by that measure. For what it's worth.

Depreciation might be inaccurate cause some cars offer more discount or overtrade and doesnt reflect on depreciation from list price

Depreciation might be inaccurate cause some cars offer more discount or overtrade and doesnt reflect on depreciation from list price

Does overtrade increase value of trade-in car

or

it is a discount?

Fair point and I totally agree.

But that's an issue whether you use total price or the depreciation pa. My point was that the depreciation pa number takes into account scrap value effects.

Does overtrade increase value of trade-in car

or

it is a discount?

Its a discount but they let the discount add into your existing trade in car so that you get more cash for downpayment and list price remain high so you can take more loan

At a time it makes you feel you get good bargain cause they take in your car higher

And with more loan car dealer earn more commission from bank

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

Its a discount but they let the discount add into your existing trade in car so that you get more cash for downpayment and list price remain high so you can take more loan

At a time it makes you feel you get good bargain cause they take in your car higher

And with more loan car dealer earn more commission from bank

This sounds like housing ad I saw in KL

Down payment: 5%

Loan: 70%

• Praise 1

This sounds like housing ad I saw in KL

Down payment: 5%

Loan: 70%

Car loan and housing loan wide difference in calculation. And hence alot of people dont understand why 1.88 or 2.55% makes a huge difference.

The overall car price that is bought shoot up. And hence many buy full cash, because the savings is afew thousand dollars. 

↡ Advertisement