2.5 camry hybrid vs 2.5 mazda 6

villan

Personally I find the M6 design is dated and the 8th gen camry looks and perform better.  I like the refinement of the engine and all the features incl the sollision detection radar system to be very useful.  Just to share my thoughts.

post-174076-0-70942400-1547709528_thumb.jpg

post-174076-0-53153800-1547709557_thumb.jpg

post-174076-0-12715400-1547709578_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The Camry Hybrid is a brilliant vehicle. One of my relatives in KL drives one. Smooth and refined.

In KL, Mazda is much less popular owing to poor resale value compared to Toyota and Honda.

Personally I find the M6 design is dated and the 8th gen camry looks and perform better. I like the refinement of the engine and all the features incl the sollision detection radar system to be very useful. Just to share my thoughts.

Wow, your Camry looks like a Lexus.

Wow, your Camry looks like a Lexus.

He modded his Camry to make it look more like a Lexus.

Changed  grill to Lexus LS type. Upgrade rim to 18" and add in rear spoiler and diffuser.

Have to say it looks good though.

Edited by DK3410

Any opinions on the 2.5 camry hybrid vs 2.5 mazda 6?

both priced quite similarly....which is a better buy?

I think both are very well made cars and it is hard to say which is better. Both cars are very different in their design philosophy and it will not be fair to compare them as they are not apples and apples. Which is better very much depends on what you like. I have owned a Camry for 6 years and I now drive a Mazda 6. I like both cars but like the Mazda 6 better for its nimbleness and connectivity with the driver. 

The Camry's strength is in its refinement. Buttery smooth engine, spacious interior, cushy ride and workhorse reliability. The focus is on cabin comfort and space.

The Mazda's strength is in its driving experience ... road feedback, engine note and transmission. The Mazda's transmission is very intuitive and it anticipates the power that you need (or will need) based on speed, throttle input and steering angle and decides to shift, hold or downshift to give you the optimal power for the driving condition. Hence, if you like the feel of driving a sports car, Mazda can give you a taste of that. Mazda says while they want the cabin to be quiet, they do not want to make it so quiet that it becomes boring to drive. The engine note you hear in the Mazda is intended to activate your senses, hence the excitement. Same philosophy for road feedback, The Mazda will give you a very good sense of whether your tires are going to bite or lose traction. The steering is not insulated from the driver such that the steering feels 'numb'. 

So depending on what you like, both are excellent cars in my view. The Camry is excellent for long cruising drives up north and the Mazda 6 for twisty hill climbs and atheletic maneuvres. Hence whether you like an apple or orange is very subjective. it's like asking ... roller coaster vs bullet train, which is better?  Just my 2 cents.

• Praise 2

I think both are very well made cars and it is hard to say which is better. Both cars are very different in their design philosophy and it will not be fair to compare them as they are not apples and apples. Which is better very much depends on what you like. I have owned a Camry for 6 years and I now drive a Mazda 6. I like both cars but like the Mazda 6 better for its nimbleness and connectivity with the driver. 

The Camry's strength is in its refinement. Buttery smooth engine, spacious interior, cushy ride and workhorse reliability. The focus is on cabin comfort and space.

The Mazda's strength is in its driving experience ... road feedback, engine note and transmission. The Mazda's transmission is very intuitive and it anticipates the power that you need (or will need) based on speed, throttle input and steering angle and decides to shift, hold or downshift to give you the optimal power for the driving condition. Hence, if you like the feel of driving a sports car, Mazda can give you a taste of that. Mazda says while they want the cabin to be quiet, they do not want to make it so quiet that it becomes boring to drive. The engine note you hear in the Mazda is intended to activate your senses, hence the excitement. Same philosophy for road feedback, The Mazda will give you a very good sense of whether your tires are going to bite or lose traction. The steering is not insulated from the driver such that the steering feels 'numb'. 

So depending on what you like, both are excellent cars in my view. The Camry is excellent for long cruising drives up north and the Mazda 6 for twisty hill climbs and atheletic maneuvres. Hence whether you like an apple or orange is very subjective. it's like asking ... roller coaster vs bullet train, which is better?  Just my 2 cents.

The new Camry, with the revised TNGA chassis and suspension set-up, may give Mazda a run for its money in the handling department. I haven't yet had time to run down to Toyota to molest the new Camry or put it through a test-drive yet.

Unfortunately, I don't quite understand the pricing strategy employed by BM, because I'm wondering if they're trying to compete against the Contis or with other Jap makes.

Strongly urge bros looking for a new ride to try to ask for a longer test-drive route before committing to their choice.

Also good to find out more about the car from former/ present owners (esp those who have owned the car > 5 years). Because no online review will tell you what the ownership experience is like, and owning a car is different from driving one for 20 minutes.

I learnt to stay away from VW with their dry dual-clutch setup based on experience from 2 close friends, 1 senior and 1 former colleague.

Edited by DK3410

The new Camry, with the revised TNGA chassis and suspension set-up, may give Mazda a run for its money in the handling department. I haven't yet had time to run down to Toyota to molest the new Camry or put it through a test-drive yet.

Unfortunately, I don't quite understand the pricing strategy employed by BM, because I'm wondering if they're trying to compete against the Contis or with other Jap makes.

I learnt to stay away from VW with their dry dual-clutch setup based on experience from 2 close friends, 1 senior and 1 former colleague.

Agree, I was a little shocked to read that Mazda has switched its handling benchmark from BMW 3 series to the Toyota Camry. Usually when I test drive Toyotas I often burst out laughing because the handling is really bad and rubbery. So if the news is true, the handling of the new Camry must be really good. BM pricing strategy is usually hard to understand, like the price of petrol ( http://theindependent.sg/dr-koh-poh-koon-its-not-easy-for-most-people-to-understand-petrol-pricing/)

https://www.carlist.my/news/mazda-sees-toyota-camry-not-bmw-3-series-new-benchmark-handling/53246/

VW? Very fashionable.

post-158018-0-53501300-1548487963.jpg

Agree, I was a little shocked to read that Mazda has switched its handling benchmark from BMW 3 series to the Toyota Camry. Usually when I test drive Toyotas I often burst out laughing because the handling is really bad and rubbery. So if the news is true, the handling of the new Camry must be really good. BM pricing strategy is usually hard to understand, like the price of petrol ( http://theindependent.sg/dr-koh-poh-koon-its-not-easy-for-most-people-to-understand-petrol-pricing/)

https://www.carlist.my/news/mazda-sees-toyota-camry-not-bmw-3-series-new-benchmark-handling/53246/

VW? Very fashionable.

I think Toyotas have improved quite a bit. Their older suspension set-up was not the best, but it was acceptable for those who were looking for a comfortable, average car (note on outstandingly average) and drive like they're sedated, where handling characteristics don't matter that much.

The first sign of change, surprisingly, came with the current-generation Prius. That one features a revised suspension (double-wishbones in the rear, the older Prius was torsion-beam), as well as a lowered chassis for better road-hugging and cornering characteristics. The response was good enough that they decided to adopt a unified architecture (TNGA) which also has some cost-savings and economy-of-scale benefits. Commonality of spare parts also makes it easier, and cheaper, for inventory management.

I don't know how things are going to move forward from here. But having come from the old Prius (2nd gen) the handling of my current Mazda 6 is leaps-and-bounds ahead of the Prius. I have also *ahem* changed my driving style a bit, to kind of "get the most" out of my new car.

I miss the fuel efficiency of a hybrid, where I could visit the pump station once a month, but the current "fun-to-drive" part is really hard to let go of.

Haha, zoom zoom?

To a certain extent la. Use the new-found power appropriately and wisely.

Granted, it's not very powerful. But still good enough in most circumstances.

VW? Very fashionable.

It is still being charged at a premium price starting at $145k for the base model. At this price point, having all the nice gadgets is a given to me and is not considered extraordinary. Good to see the improvement in the latest version.

Hope this latest base model no longer sits on puny 16" rim - really look out of place on a big car body. Hence I discounted the ride comfort and fuel efficiency straight away when I test drove the last version. It is riding on such a fat and ugly cushion of air.

• Praise 1

VW? Very fashionable.

It makes sense to benchmark against the Camry as the BMW 3 series is a rear wheel drive car and it no matter how you tweak a front wheel drive car, you can only get close but never beat it. Also, the Camry is in the same segment class and would appeal to the same segment of buyers as the Mazda 6. With the new TNGA platform, I'm sure Mazda will be watching the Camry very closely. So am I.  [;)]

Edited by EdwinLee_146267
  • Praise 1

It makes sense to benchmark against the Camry as the BMW 3 series is a rear wheel drive car and it no matter how you tweak a front wheel drive car, you can only get close but never beat it. Also, the Camry is in the same segment class and would appeal to the same segment of buyers as the Mazda 6. With the new TNGA platform, I'm sure Mazda will be watching the Camry very closely. So am I.  [;)]

When I test drove the Mazda 6, it actually handled much better than my previous car, a rear wheel drive. The BMW 3 is one of the best handling car I have ever driven but the 6 is actually not far away from it.

I used to drive a 2008 BMW E90 which I scrapped last year. The Mzd 6 handling is close but the 3 series still has a slight edge over the Mzd 6 at corners and has better high speed stability. I feel Bmw has more bite on high speed corners. Maybe it is because of the rear wheel drive. Mazda 6 is almost there but not quite yet ...

Edited by EdwinLee_146267

When I test drove the Mazda 6, it actually handled much better than my previous car, a rear wheel drive. The BMW 3 is one of the best handling car I have ever driven but the 6 is actually not far away from it.

Summary of current jap mid sized sedans 

Handling,

Accord = mz6 (depending on which you prefer) > Camry > Teana.

Perceived Cabin trim and quality,

Mz6 >> Accord > Camry > Teana

Legroom

Accord > Teana/Camry >> Mz6

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

I used to drive a 2008 BMW E90 which I scrapped last year. The Mzd 6 handling is close but the 3 series still has a slight edge over the Mzd 6 at corners and has better high speed stability. I feel Bmw has more bite on high speed corners. Maybe it is because of the rear wheel drive. Mazda 6 is almost there but not quite yet ...

Edited by andrewyewkc
↡ Advertisement