DSG Gearbox & Manoeuvring in carpark

Naresh

I am new to a DSG gearbox (been only a week) so would welcome some advice.

1. When going up the incline in HDB car park, my VW Golf 1.4TSI seems remarkably reluctant. I do know why this is happening - as I approach the incline I need to slow down (brake) and turn right to get onto the slope. The DSG gearbox thinks I am going to stop, so it is not in the right gear as I complete my turn. Opening the throttle slightly does not move the car up the incline, and with more throttle it moves too quickly.

2. Also I have noted that when going down the incline in HDB car park, when you take your foot off the brake, and step on the accelerator, it seems reluctant to get going again. Again, I do know why this is happening... the DSG gearbox thinks I am going to stop, so it is not in the right gear as I complete my turn

Have you encountered the same issue, and do you have any techniques, or is it just a matter of getting used to it?

Been driving AT & CVT, and none of them had this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Naresh.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Switch to manual or out to L if avail.this should ensure minimal or no half clutch on slope

Yes, I can try that.  [nod]

The VW DSG transmission has tiptronic mode, and I can using shift lever.

• Praise 1

New.

It is not gearbox issue, the shifts on the road are very smooth.

I have driven a VW 6 speed DSG for 9 years plus and I think it's just a matter of getting used to.

• Praise 1

It's the software or programming of the gearbox. The DCT or DSG is good for straight line acceleration but if you want it to down shift it will not do as anticipated or it will take ages. It only shift down as if to prevent the engine from stalling in a particular gear.

The planetary gearbox and CVT software have matured and improved throughout the years of usage as they are ore common. That's why they are responsive when it comes to shifting down. The most responsive I have encounter is so far from Honda's 5sp (not cvt). The gb shift down almost immediately when the car is on the ramp whether it's from the mscp or underground tunnel going up or down, w/o me depressing more on the gas pedal. Other makes I have to depress the gas pedal more in order for the gb to shift down.

To me the DCT is still very much in its infancy when used in a car. DCT are more commonly found in boats. Boats are less complex to run dan a car. The programming actually has caused much distress to the average driver. It's not suitable for city driving or start/stop driving conditions. It's not suitable for slow speed or creeping as it will overheat and burn the clutch. When one set of clutch is burnt either your gear 1,3,5,7 cannot engage or the gear 2,4,6 cannot engage. That's why ppl experience gear hopping. It's more of a hazard more than anything else. If ppl ask to adapt to such a gb I will say no thanks.

• Praise 10

Watch this youtube for the reason..

2.30 min to 9min.

I am not a big fan of John, I do think he is a little biased, but nevertheless all his videos are quite amusing to watch. 

[laugh]

I have driven a VW 6 speed DSG for 9 years plus and I think it's just a matter of getting used to.

Ya, perhaps. 

I was speaking to my colleague who has been driving a VW Golf 1.4 TSI with DSG for a while, and he mentioned I need to think like driving a manual transmission.

His explanation paraphrased...

When driving a manual, you don't change gear in the middle of the direction change. You need to be in the right gear before you make the turn. That means, for a DSG, I should get off the brake before I initiate the the direction change, and get on the accelerator before I hit the incline so that 1st gear is engaged.

If my feet is still on the brake as I initiate the direction change, and start the incline while free wheeling, when I step on the accelerator while going up the incline, it will take time for the gear to engage.  

Edited by Naresh
  • Praise 3

The problem you face is because the DSG computer is unable to predict correctly due to the nature of the design.

Most of the time if you notice during slow speed at MSCP, it is in D2. So when you are stopping, the dual clutch have to "predict" to standby in D1 or D3.

Just do it in manual mode when you are creeping or going at slow speed. This can help to prolong the lifespan of your gearbox too.

On a side note, one of the nicest 5AT i drove before is the Subaru Prodrive Auto Transmission. (for the STI A-line series)

The upshifting is so fast and easily contolled when you WOT and let off abit and WOT again.

The sportshift when downshifting is very addictive too. It auto blips to rev match....

Edited by Zippaboy
  • Praise 4

wah so complicated one

i think tp should implement and test on a 3rd dsg transmission category for driving licence to add to the current auto and manual

for manual car, anything u can just clutch in and let it roll while holding the brake. but for DSG/DCT, u cant do that, holding the brake will heat the clutch/half clutch it

• Praise 1

Walau eh, just drive like any auto car. If MU spoils, just change it.

So stress for what ? Buy a car to stress oneself, seriously . .....

that's the life of DSG.. Edited by Contipro
  • Praise 1

Ya, perhaps.

I was speaking to my colleague who has been driving a VW Golf 1.4 TSI with DSG for a while, and he mentioned I need to think like driving a manual transmission.

His explanation paraphrased...

When driving a manual, you don't change gear in the middle of the direction change. You need to be in the right gear before you make the turn. That means, for a DSG, I should get off the brake before I initiate the the direction change, and get on the accelerator before I hit the incline so that 1st gear is engaged.

If my feet is still on the brake as I initiate the direction change, and start the incline while free wheeling, when I step on the accelerator while going up the incline, it will take time for the gear to engage.

Explanation seems reasonable, i like it.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1