DSG Gearbox & Manoeuvring in carpark

Naresh

I think the jerk he is referring to is the sluggishness when depress on accelerator and the car never accelerate and have this weird thing that the gear stays for say 1 seconds before downshift and then car able to accelerate.

those entry level dry DSG normally not as responsive as Wet DSG on more premium model.

I believe it related to its TCU module as well like entry level phone tend to be slower response vs premium phone with better response and faster processing power.

so pay peanuts get peanuts logic work on all products...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Adaptation issue. Have you adjusted to it by now?

I encountered similar issue when I first got my VW 6 yrs ago as well.

Yes, actually much better.

I am getting better regulating the accelerator pedal such that the car just drops into to D1 (1st gear) and continues at about the same pace... I need to be gentle with the throttle, I think I was stepping on it a little harder trying to go up the incline. 

Yes, actually much better.

I am getting better regulating the accelerator pedal such that the car just drops into to D1 (1st gear) and continues at about the same pace... I need to be gentle with the throttle, I think I was stepping on it a little harder trying to go up the incline. 

I suppose if the issue still bothers you, the last resort could be going for a DSG tune. Maybe a tune to specifically low speeds to make the shift points less eco-biased.

So DSG gearbox is not suitable for normal everyday driver? so many things to look out for...

Am considering the skoda octavia or at a stretch, karoq...

but i heard these 2 cars are using the lousier version of the gearbox? is that true? 

So DSG gearbox is not suitable for normal everyday driver? so many things to look out for...

but i heard these 2 cars are using the lousier version of the gearbox? is that true?

In terms of price vs quality + features, Skoda models are a pretty good buy IMO. I can only hope in the next few years while COE could still remain low, their models like Superb or Octavia can change to ZF8 gearbox.

In terms of price vs quality + features, Skoda models are a pretty good buy IMO. I can only hope in the next few years while COE could still remain low, their models like Superb or Octavia can change to ZF8 gearbox.

Really can change gearbox?  Where to change?

Really can change gearbox? Where to change?

What I meant was hoping that new Skoda models to be equipped with ZF8 rather than DSG. Not a gearbox change.

Sorry for the confusion.

ZF8 is made for longitudinal mount applications. unlikely in a B&B car like VW or Skoda which are typically using transverse mount engines in their lineup.

What I meant was hoping that new Skoda models to be equipped with ZF8 rather than DSG. Not a gearbox change.

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess what you mean is that both are using the quirky 7 speed DQ200 dry clutch gearbox that's reported to have a lot of issues many years back.

DQ200 -> can withstand max torque 250 Nm

DQ250  -> can withstand max torque 350Nm

Based on track record, DQ250 is a safer bet, which is wet-clutch and used in harder variant models. One of the reason why I chose Seat Ateca over Karoq during my purchase.

I guess what you mean is that both are using the quirky 7 speed DQ200 dry clutch gearbox that's reported to have a lot of issues many years back.

DQ200 -> can withstand max torque 250 Nm

DQ250 -> can withstand max torque 350Nm

Based on track record, DQ250 is a safer bet, which is wet-clutch and used in harder variant models. One of the reason why I chose Seat Ateca over Karoq during my purchase.

Based on what I read, DQ250 usually use in the higher end models right?

Based on what I read, DQ250 usually use in the higher end models right?

DQ250 was used in GTI.

When VW started selling the 1.4 TSI, they came up with DQ200 (dry) as it is cheaper and torque is lesser.

Neutral Newbie

From what I have gathered.  Hesitation/slipping clutch, especially when starting off from stop is usually cause by the hill assist function, and  technically nothing to do with gearbox/MU, as this function is supplied by the ABS and ESP.

Technically, hill assist is use to apply brakes to all four wheels for 2 seconds to prevent the car from rolling back when on a slop.  But somehow, VW is not very good with hill assist, as many owner experience hesitation, or even clutch slipping even on flats, and car rolling backward on a slop (Hill assist triggered, but not enough bite on the brake).  Hence, many VW owner have adjusted their driving habit, ie, slow acceleration or release brake and allow clutch to engage before accelerating.

TS can try disabling or change to less aggressive mode to the hill assist function to see if it improve drivability, as hill assist is triggered when brake is applied coming to a stop, hence, the hesitation. 

In many other car with similar function, the hill assist is disable the moment we step on the accelerator pedal.  But for VW.  They seems to work base on timing LOL!!!..  

From what I have gathered. Hesitation/slipping clutch, especially when starting off from stop is usually cause by the hill assist function, and technically nothing to do with gearbox/MU, as this function is supplied by the ABS and ESP.

Technically, hill assist is use to apply brakes to all four wheels for 2 seconds to prevent the car from rolling back when on a slop. But somehow, VW is not very good with hill assist, as many owner experience hesitation, or even clutch slipping even on flats, and car rolling backward on a slop (Hill assist triggered, but not enough bite on the brake). Hence, many VW owner have adjusted their driving habit, ie, slow acceleration or release brake and allow clutch to engage before accelerating.

TS can try disabling or change to less aggressive mode to the hill assist function to see if it improve drivability, as hill assist is triggered when brake is applied coming to a stop, hence, the hesitation.

In many other car with similar function, the hill assist is disable the moment we step on the accelerator pedal. But for VW. They seems to work base on timing LOL!!!..

Hesitation is perfectly normal in a DSG. It's a lightning quick automated manual gearbox. When you stop, it goes into neutral automatically. Same concept as manual car - you will apply brake and clutch in. Nobody will half clutch and apply brake at the traffic light.

To drive off, you need to let the gear engage first before you accelerate. That's the few hundred millisecs of "hesitation". Again, no different from a manual gearbox - you need to half clutch first before you accelerate.

Complaining about hesitation is like complaining the manual car doesn't move when you accelerate first before you half clutch. And it's nothing to do with hill hold.

Hahaha. The VW DSG is all about getting used to. I find myself putting my left foot on the brake while giving it gas using my right foot on an incline to prevent the car from rolling back.

I don't that that issue with my BMW DCT. It creeps just the right amount. Never really worry about having the car roll back on me.

Gotta be specific which DSG box is hesitant from standstill. The GTI I put in launch control and it takes off like a scalded cat. No hesitation what....lol

Neutral Newbie

The thing is.  There should not be any lag or hesitation driving off from a stop, and such hesitation are not cause by the DSG.  No need launch control, and if there is a mean to turn off ESP like with some models,  then the car can accelerate without hesitation, but in situation like in a car park, the car may spin out of control with the ESP switch off, and without proper judgement by the driver? 

With modern veh. many external factors can cause hesitation/lag in acceleration from 1st to 2nd gear , ie, hill assist, over inflated worn/bad tires. 

I recently bought a used Jetta 1.4 TSI and even with a single turbo.  The power is insane, and I can imagine if it is equipped with a twin charge engine, and not even talking about the  Gti or AWD -R.  Crazy power.     

Yeah.  Adjustment to driving habit is a must, otherwise.  Can get a tuner to remap the ECU?

On 8/22/2019 at 1:55 PM, ContiSG said:

I recently bought a used Jetta 1.4 TSI and even with a single turbo.  The power is insane, and I can imagine if it is equipped with a twin charge engine, and not even talking about the  Gti or AWD -R.  Crazy power.     

the model with the round headlights or squarish one?

↡ Advertisement