Lorry altercation with cyclist at Pasir Ris

1fast1

Typical Singaporeans.

Everything must be spoon fed must be regulated.

It's common sense that should be guiding us, not legislation especially when it's dubious in the first place.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Typical Singaporeans.

Everything must be spoon fed must be regulated.

It's common sense that should be guiding us, not legislation especially when it's dubious in the first place.

you sum it all up bro!!  :a-m1212:  was thinking how to put into words properly and you did it short and sweet..lol

only ungracious beings need rules and regulations to guide them and they always argue on their rights (always want to win) not knowing how to give and take... anyhow one type of rice rear hundred types of people which makes life more interesting  [grin]

• Praise 2

I think cuz you haven't cycle long enough. I used to cycle on the double yellow lines. Now I don't. I cycle 50cm to 1m out from the double yellow lines. Dunno far left enough or not. But TP pass by never say anything, I guess still fine. Only got stopped by TP once when I was cycling on the roads, and it was not because I never keep left enough.

I guess so. Its the same for the careless driving and reckless/dangerous driving. Anything they decide is wrong and not inside RTA, just issue summon under one of those.

Curious how you know I have not cycle long enough?  [laugh]  Ok let me haolian my experience abit. 

Let me see, I got my first and only road bike with Shimano 105 parts when I was in Poly year 1 in 1987. About 31 years ago. Is that long enough for you? When I started out, I used to cycle on the road a lot, and doing a round-island trip every month for quite a while. Then I progressed to mountain bike as I realized wounds taking long time to heal after a few bad falls due to negligence and SPEED trying to defy physics. But then young and restless what to do? Now I am getting fat due to past injuries and current sickness so cannot exercise often, but I can still beat my 16 year old son anytime and big time when it comes to cycling, which we have been doing recently.

Back to the topic. You are definitely too kiasu and kiasi cycling 50cm from the kerb/double yellow lines. TP never catch you maybe because the traffic is not that heavy so you are not really obstructing the traffic. One fine day you should try to cycle in the middle of the road when there is moderate traffic  and a TP is nearby. See whether the TP will catch you or not haha. 

• Praise 5

It sends a clear message to those who have been arguing that it is ok to cycle abreast...... it is confirmed NOT OK.

He was not charged for cycling abreast, instead, he was charged for riding his bicycle in the middle of the leftmost lane, instead of keeping to the far left edge of the road, hence causing obstructions to faster moving vehicles.

• Praise 1

I know one type bicycle won’t obstruct one :grin:

https://youtu.be/nJvEpQEC-RE

Actually this kind will cause more obstruction?

Everyone will be ogling them as opposed to paying attention to traffic in front. Almost guarantee plus chop will have serial accident wan...

But here in SG ah, people sure report police for "indecent exposure".

• Praise 1

Just fantasising - what if you had a passenger, and passenger rolls down window, stick out hand and push the cyclist to the side..in a manner similar to american football. could achieve the same without ramming your whole vehicle into the cyclist.

Just wind down the window and flick cigarette butt with extreme pressure onto the cyclist face will do and say did not see him. Most kana fine for littering nia.

He was not charged for cycling abreast, instead, he was charged for riding his bicycle in the middle of the leftmost lane, instead of keeping to the far left edge of the road, hence causing obstructions to faster moving vehicles.

Hi Fitvip, just using your message here as a reference. I think it might be easier to just use facts to determine if a cyclist is at far left edge or middle of the road.

The standard width of traffic lane is 2.8m and i assume the width of the left lane is counted from the 1st line of the double yellow line. From LTA, each line of the double yellow line is 10 cm width with 15cm break between the lines (35cm), therefore remaining width for vehicles is 2.45m. Width of a Prius(example) is 1.8m, therefore we will have 0.65m of free space between the double yellow line to the Prius, assuming the prius drive to the edge of the lane before eating into the middle lane. Therefore there is technically 0.65m (free space) + 0.35m (double yellow line) + another 0.6m (allowance from curb to yellow line) = 1.6m of space for cyclist to cycle.

So i am guessing that our TP is using these facts to determine if the cyclist is keeping to the far left edge of road before faulting them.

All of the above are just my assumptions, and the measurements are taken from the below sites. :)

End of the day, we as drivers just need to drive safely and make sure we get home to our love ones without causing hurt/death to others on the road. [:)]

Width of Lane & Curb allowance : http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120828-368122.html

Width of Double yellow line : https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaweb/corp/Industry/files/SDRE(2014)/SDRE14-8%20RMS%201-14-REV17.pdf

• Praise 2

He was not charged for cycling abreast, instead, he was charged for riding his bicycle in the middle of the leftmost lane, instead of keeping to the far left edge of the road, hence causing obstructions to faster moving vehicles.

Thanks for pointing that out, my England no good. I hope those who cycle abreast will be considerate enough to keep to the far left edge of the road so as not to obstruct faster moving traffic.
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Cheung is also charged with breaching traffic rules by riding his bicycle in the middle of the leftmost lane, instead of keeping to the far left edge of the road, thereby causing obstruction to faster moving vehicles.

I don't know how much clearer this must be to get into the head of a numbskull. 

Not clear enough. Cuz TP don't want reply my email regarding how far out is too far. 

Not clear enough. Cuz TP don't want reply my email regarding how far out is too far. 

Why don't you cycle all the way to TP HQ at Ubi and ask them straight instead of waiting for their email. Remember to cycle in the middle of the left lane.  [scholar]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Hi do u cycle a roadbike? Since u have been cycling on the double yellow lines, can u share with me, what makes u want to cycle 50cm to 1m out more nowadays? Thks

Main reason for not cycling on yellow line is because there used to be alot of drivers that don't change lane when overtaking. Come very close. I had to move to the side and stop in the gutter or else I'll get hit. Another reason is got alot of debris. So overall alot more comfortable cycling out of the yellow lines than on the yellow lines.

• Praise 2

Main reason for not cycling on yellow line is because there used to be alot of drivers that don't change lane when overtaking. Come very close. I had to move to the side and stop in the gutter or else I'll get hit. Another reason is got alot of debris. So overall alot more comfortable cycling out of the yellow lines than on the yellow lines.

Ahhh I see. Thks for replying.
↡ Advertisement