Car Groomer Allegedly Allow Car To Borrow for M’sia Joyride

cravecott98

Son of Car Groomer’s Boss Also Allegedly Smoked In The Car

The car grooming business is one that’s largely based on trust.

After all, clients have to leave their cars at the workshop for days or even weeks without supervision.

So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a car owner by the name of Mr Eric Lau was enraged to find his car misused after collecting it from a car groomer.

On Sunday (23 Dec), Mr Lau wrote a lengthy Facebook post warning other car owners about the errant car groomers that he had the misfortune of dealing with.

Here’s his Facebook post in full. We’ll summarise it after the jump.

273km clocked in 5 days

According to Mr Lau, on 3 Nov, he brought his car to Glozz Factory Mobile Car Grooming Services for spray painting and an internal grooming job.

Before handing his car over to the groomers, Mr Lau took a photo of his odometer for precautionary reasons.

For the uninitiated, an odometer is an instrument used to measure the distance travelled by a vehicle.

When Mr Lau collected his car 5 days later, he was stunned to find his odometer reading increase by a whopping 273km.

That’s not all.

The sound system in Mr Lau’s car was also adjusted to the maximum level, and the memory card slot on his dashcam wasn’t in its original position.

The car owner called the workshop’s owner, Mr Andy Goh, demanding answers.

Mr Goh revealed over the phone that the car was also full of cigarette ash when he was working on it the day prior to the collection.

After some investigation, Mr Goh admitted that Shawn – his business partner’s son – had taken the car for a joyride in Malaysia.

Suspicions confirmed

Enraged, the car owner lodged a police report and demanded to have a sit-down with Mr Goh and his business partner, Mr William Chng.

Mr Lau’s suspicions were confirmed during the meeting as the car groomers admitted that Shawn had:

• Drove the car into Malaysia
  • Smoked in the car
  • Blasted the car’s stereo

Understandably, Mr Lau then demanded compensation from the car workshop owners for a breach of contract.

However, Mr Goh suggested that Mr Lau deal with Mr Chng in private, so as to protect the reputation of his business.

Illegal Request

Mr Chng eventually agreed to compensate Mr Lau for the misuse of his car, and instructed his lawyer to prepare a private settlement letter.

Initially, Mr Lau was told to wait while Mr Chng’s lawyer prepared the necessary documents. However, 2 months later, according to the Facebook post, Mr Chng started ignoring Mr Lau’s calls.

When he finally answered, Mr Chng said that his lawyer required the police report in his possession to prepare the legal document, and tried to “buy” it from him.

Feeling that something was amiss, Mr Lau called the police, who informed Mr Lau that it was illegal to “buy” a police report due to confidential reasons.

Check your odometer before visiting a car workshop

MS News has reached out to Glozz Factory and Mr Lau for more information regarding the alleged incident.

Meanwhile, let’s hope both parties find a mutually agreeable resolution to the incident.

For the rest of us, if there’s one lesson to be learnt, it’s surely the importance of checking your car’s odometer before handing it over to the car workshop.

source: https://mustsharenews.com/car-groomer-joy-ride/?fbclid=IwAR3g28kvtIGhRM2eAUGKfuaByFesgjKnX9Tg_ej7y_GILpGIBoJmOm5YRHs

post-192704-0-00007500-1545719182_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Think the owner definitely have a case because the car was driven without the owner's permission. This is as good as driving without a valid insurance cover. As far as my memory recall, insurance coverage is only valid if the driver has the permission to driver the insured vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the owners have already admitted the son has driver the car, this is sufficient for TP to take action against the driver.

Think the owner definitely have a case because the car was driven without the owner's permission. This is as good as driving without a valid insurance cover. As far as my memory recall, insurance coverage is only valid if the driver has the permission to driver the insured vehicle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the owners have already admitted the son has driver the car, this is sufficient for TP to take action against the driver.

TP fine the shop owner son, so what? Thank you for nation building ...

It's better for the car owner to settle privately with the shop owner, see what $ he can get in compensation.

Shop owner son also one kind. It's really true, the Chinese saying, family wealth won't last beyond 3 generations!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Could be classified as thieved.

how come police never take action

did car owner insurance cover car use on Malaysia or cover third party driver

in Singapore from my past experience only a civil sue will do and only if you have deep pockets and provided the person you sue don't declare bankrupt

but here the car owner needs to sue the grooming company and the son, otherwise no meat to eat

if my car is a simple car, I get adequate compensation and run road

the time and cost needed to pursue would be not rewarding as there was no damage involved

after I see how these many non A.D. service treat their customers car, nothing left much to say

in fact in my earlier years, I did send my car to outside service, I was One of those go from car to car to test many other customers cars their audio set up

I was able to do that because I know the shop

now I confess I only send to AD for everything

after awhile when they get to know you they treat you a lot better

e.g. they can give you huge discretionary discounts.

• Praise 3

Car groomer damn stupid.

Learn to clock the mileage back to original from used car dealers.

Change the radio back to original station and volume

and clean the ashtray after use. They are car groomers after all right?

The can let their sons, employees, family members use the cars anytime

they want.  [thumbsup]

:D

Car groomer damn stupid.

Learn to clock the mileage back to original from used car dealers.

Change the radio back to original station and volume

and clean the ashtray after use. They are car groomers after all right?

The can let their sons, employees, family members use the cars anytime

they want. [thumbsup]

:D

Just suck the petrol out of fuel tank

Put in your own car

Car owner complaint petrol drop

Show them mileage same

And give excuse

The petrol evaporated after 5 days

• Praise 3

drive to Malaysia is really gone too far (no pun intended :D)

u never know if that bugger got tio summons, smuggled goods, evaded taxes or did any drug trafficking over there

• Praise 4

Enraged, the car owner lodged a police report and demanded to have a sit-down with Mr Goh and his business partner, Mr William Chng.

Mr Lau’s suspicions were confirmed during the meeting as the car groomers admitted that Shawn had:

• Drove the car into Malaysia
  • Smoked in the car
  • Blasted the car’s stereo

Understandably, Mr Lau then demanded compensation from the car workshop owners for a breach of contract.

However, Mr Goh suggested that Mr Lau deal with Mr Chng in private, so as to protect the reputation of his business.

Illegal Request

Mr Chng eventually agreed to compensate Mr Lau for the misuse of his car, and instructed his lawyer to prepare a private settlement letter.

Initially, Mr Lau was told to wait while Mr Chng’s lawyer prepared the necessary documents. However, 2 months later, according to the Facebook post, Mr Chng started ignoring Mr Lau’s calls.

When he finally answered, Mr Chng said that his lawyer required the police report in his possession to prepare the legal document, and tried to “buy” it from him.

Feeling that something was amiss, Mr Lau called the police, who informed Mr Lau that it was illegal to “buy” a police report due to confidential reasons.

2 months and no action by the poodles? Bet if CSJ was the culprit driving the car, next hr will have action already.

BTW, is it true a police report can be confidential? Can't even make a copy or show to someone else? Sounds like BS since we've seen many police reports posted online already. 

drive to Malaysia is really gone too far (no pun intended :D)

u never know if that bugger got tio summons, smuggled goods, evaded taxes or did any drug trafficking over there

the owner now only need to worry whether got tio summons or not since he already got back his car. Best to change car plate number if want to drive into Malaysia, he should include the cost to change car plate number into his claim.

Glozz Factory sincerely apologize to Car owner Mr Eric Lau and his family for this unfortunate event. We understand the inconvenience and trouble that has caused to Mr Eric Lau. This is a heavy lesson learnt by Glozz Factory from such an unexpected event. We are also very fortunate that Mr Lau had kindly accepted us to make this necessary compensation. From here, I would like to thank Mr Lau for his graciousness towards us.

In addition to this, we too want to clarify to everyone about this incident. Glozz Factory took over Mr Lau's car and parked in the workshop for works to be done. Shawn Chng, who is NOT Glozz Factory staff but from Chng Brother Motor Services, sneaked into our workshop in the night and quietly drove off Mr Lau's car without permission.

We have lodged a police report for this case and will let the Law handle accordingly.

As such, William Chng (Owner of Chng Brother Motor Services) together with his son, Shawn Chng and myself met up with car owner, Mr Eric Lau to have a private settlement. As per discussion, William Chng agreed to compensate Mr Lau.

However, William and his son made Mr Eric Lau waited for 2 months with no actions done. When we questioned William Chng about the compensation again, his answer was just "Lawyer Preparing" and ignoring the fact that we need to expedite the settlement. Therefore, I stood forward to bear all the compensation ourselves.

Through this post, I hope the public will have a clearer picture of this unfortunate case. We, Glozz Factory, have been always been sincere and always strive for the best 

for our customers.

The car groomer now claimed Shawn Chng from Chng Brother Motor Services, sneaked into the workshop in the night and quietly drove off Mr Lau's car without permission. So easy to sneak in one ah

• Praise 1

Like that means theft liao!

Little Chng going Changi chalet for pang sai bo chic kar Chng?

The car groomer now claimed Shawn Chng from Chng Brother Motor Services, sneaked into the workshop in the night and quietly drove off Mr Lau's car without permission. So easy to sneak in one ah

• Praise 1

Luckily didn't use the car to smuggle drugs or cigarettes from Malaysia, else don't know car will get back or not. 

I think for grooming services should not let them hold the car for so many days. 

Read so much, I still dunno what car was driven. It's like telling a good story, but dunno what's the name of the main character.  [rolleyes]

Could be classified as thieved.

how come police never take action

did car owner insurance cover car use on Malaysia or cover third party driver

in Singapore from my past experience only a civil sue will do and only if you have deep pockets and provided the person you sue don't declare bankrupt

but here the car owner needs to sue the grooming company and the son, otherwise no meat to eat

if my car is a simple car, I get adequate compensation and run road

the time and cost needed to pursue would be not rewarding as there was no damage involved

after I see how these many non A.D. service treat their customers car, nothing left much to say

in fact in my earlier years, I did send my car to outside service, I was One of those go from car to car to test many other customers cars their audio set up

I was able to do that because I know the shop

now I confess I only send to AD for everything

after awhile when they get to know you they treat you a lot better

e.g. they can give you huge discretionary discounts.

You must have very deep pockets to send to AD for every little thing for ur car. [jawdrop]

2 months and no action by the poodles? Bet if CSJ was the culprit driving the car, next hr will have action already.

BTW, is it true a police report can be confidential? Can't even make a copy or show to someone else? Sounds like BS since we've seen many police reports posted online already.

I think it is illegal to "buy" a police report. I am not sure what they mean by "buy" a report when they can ask for a copy. But the fact that a "lawyer" could ask that would ring alarm bells.

Make a copy should be OK cos sometimes it is needed when you report passport stolen and you want to get a replacement after reporting to police for example. But again, you are here giving the copy to official staff, insurance agent and not to unknown groomer of dubious reputation.

Posting online I am not sure cos everyone posts everything online.

↡ Advertisement