Subaru EyeSight on 2019 Forester

JBboy

Just sharing my own experience with solar film installed on XV eyesight.

Went back to MY for QingMing on Saturday, 3am passed 2nd link MY custom, NS highway. No street light, with or without car highlight behind, with or without incoming vehicle from the other direction, ACC(130) still work perfectly, following car in front, work for motocycle tiny tail light too. 

Just to share my view on Eyesight ACC, with or without solar film installed, is not perfect. When a vehicle driving at 70 and we closing in at 110, Eyesight ACC will only slow down when it's within detection range. The speed decreasing may not be as smooth as human driver, as we will let go of the acc pedal and apply brake gradually when we saw the vehicle from farther distance. smaller speed different like ~20 is quite smooth though. Sudden braking can happen when some idiot cut in to our lane so ACC, IMO is not recommended on SG road.

For testing, I also installed Viofo A119 directly below the rear view mirror base. Used to stick it to the left of windscreen but the framing is so skew, I wonder if will help proving anything when something do happened. It doesn't cause any issue, ACC, lane changing or PCB warning. I will likely leave the cam there since it never did hinder the stereo camera. I guess the A119 small size likely help, not advocating anyone to follow me, and my Eyesight warranty will be voided when I do my next servicing. LOL. 

Well, you are responsible for your own action. SG weather is too hot and windscreen is the largest glass letting the sun energy in. BTW, I use 3M CR90, FYI, CR70 will have below 70% light penetration after installation cause windscreen itself will cut about 10% already.

edited: forum censor speed number? 

Edited by epos
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi JBboy,

Without the nice display but my 2018 FL mazda 6 executive has similar safety features using also camera system that does not requires Eurokar to have owners sign disclaimer nor does not install solar film on windscreen:

http://www.mazda.com.sg/car/mazda-6/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1Xsh5YbsICpJdMuKOhem02QFfksPBpxVVShV8ISWWyvZJXqIk5JVrUBoCb5QQAvD_BwE#safe

Yes, mazda's safety features can also be switched off under user's option.

The whole issue to me is not if eyesight system works or does not work in certain circumstance which Subaru Japan obviously felt that there is a risk and MI follows suit to skip on the solar film for the window screen but the concern on insurance coy voiding claim if they find out ... may not had happened yet perhaps but there will be this risk.

If MI proceeded with solar film on the windscreen, they have to assume the responsibilities which they are clearly not willing to do so and I know since I escalated to their management when about to sign for the 2018 impreza 5D eyesight.... not sure why owners feels that they know better to install solar film on windscreen or willing to take such risk and believe they have more legal power to fight insurance coys if such void of claim occurs.

For owners who had proceeded with eyesight with solar film, I strongly recommend that they declare use of solar film for entire car the next time they are applying of their new car insurance, including the windscreen, to avoid this risk since I had not read of any owners who had done so successfully and my queries to them during consideration for the 2018 Impreza 5D eyesight were not entertained.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi bros,

What now ?

Eyesight and other "new system" is joke .. no solar film and now this one but not sure if hoax. However, also not surprised since solar film I can confirm MI dun install it and hence din book impreza.

Cheers.

Richard

post-149594-0-37427700-1563657637_thumb.jpg

(edited)

The notice is issued by SOA - Subaru of America.  From USA website, Mike Campbell is Vice President for Service and Quality.  As most people are aware, America is one unique country in the world that has many lawyers looking out for Class Action suit in order to make a "killing" for legal fee and monetary compensation.

That's why Subaru of America has to come out clearly and loudly by issuing notice of disclaimer against unauthorized modifications or fitments by Subaru car owners over there.

So far, there were few occasions where my 2019 Forester EyeSight was activated as programmed, taking into consideration of the solar film on the front windscreen.  Of course, I also wipe clean the front windscreen regularly with water against dust/dirt accumulation. 

Just 2 weeks ago, I changed the stock wipers to PIAA silicone wiper blades (in JB) and gone are the occasional streaking noises and some thin oily film; is effective against heavy rain.  But these latest generation PIAA silicone wipers are super expensive around <RM280 a set.  Anyway, I think it's good investment for driving safety so that the EyeSight lens can scan the road ahead without any visual impairment. 

To date, my Forester i-L has crossed 15k mileage with high reliability.  Changed to Motul 300V high performance engine oil during 10k service, and will continue with 300V for future car servicing.

Edited by JBboy

My take on the Eyesight disclaimer/insurance/solar film issue is this.

MI wants you to sign the disclaimer is to safeguard MI in the event that the driver depends wholly on the eyesight and the eyesight fails. It is to exonerate them from any civil liabilities.

as for the insurance, wasn’t it stated that all modifications has to be complaint to LTA rules and regulations. I’m of the view that so long as the solar film complies with LTA regulations, the insurance should not void the insurance in the unfortunate event of an accident. Having said that, unless there is a fine print somewhere in the insurance policy that states “any LTA compliant modifications disrupted any safety features of the insured vehicle to fail, would void the policy” (or something along that line) , i think it would be inappropriate for insurance companies to say that because of the solar film (LTA-complaint) which caused the eyesight to fail, the insurance would be void.

so, we are actually talking about two different issues here. I may be wrong, but that’s what I understood and my two cents worth.

(edited)

My take is as follows:

1.  MI disclaimer - I share the same view.

2.  I choose front solar film windscreen; and security film for side windows and rear windscreen - that meet LTA regulations.

3.  My Forester i-L is coming to 1 year in end-December 2019.  Will know if there is any increase in insurance premium loadings or change in T & C.

Edited by JBboy
typo error

I finally renewed car insurance with AAS - Liberty Insurance few days ago.  No question asked on windscreen tinting.  I just signed on the paper and make payment, then followed by road tax renewal.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Micarforum said:

Thank you so much for the information, gives us the assurance to install the solar film without worries.

By the way, do you have the specs of your solar film, so that we know in your case, what kind of light penetration level worked.

I am looking at the 3M Crystalline series, not sure how long the level of light penetration I can go without affecting the Eyesight's performance at all.

Bringing this up again as I am buying my first Subaru. What is the recommended solar film And specs that works well with Eyesight 2.0?

On 2/10/2020 at 6:16 PM, Extremme said:

Bringing this up again as I am buying my first Subaru. What is the recommended solar film And specs that works well with Eyesight 2.0?

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2020-eyesight-problem-with-windshield-film-any-thoughts-similar-situations-corrections-solved.810162/

A US forum on Eyesight.

Seems like 3M CR70 is good.

This is welcoming news indeed.  Finally, MI has taken right step to confirm that the latest 3rd Gen EyeSight system is not affected by solar film tint.

• Praise 1

I would like to check

1)

Since the compression ratio of this new Forester is 12.5. What was the recommended fuel to be used in Singapore. Is Ron 95 okay?

2) 

Is the Forester FB engine using a dry sump oil system?

Thank you.

(edited)

Hi Bro GoodCar,

1.  RON 95 petrol grade is acceptable.  No issue with engine.

2.  Subaru Boxer engine is wet-sump design.  The engine oil capacity is 5L.  During servicing, the car is lifted up and the oil drain plug at the engine oil pan is removed.  The old engine oil flows out until fully drained.

Anyway, if you have further technical queries, you can post it at another mycarforum thread under "2019 Forester".  Thank you.

Edited by JBboy

7 hours ago, GoodCar said:

I would like to check

1)

Since the compression ratio of this new Forester is 12.5. What was the recommended fuel to be used in Singapore. Is Ron 95 okay?

2) 

Is the Forester FB engine using a dry sump oil system?

Thank you.

Good practise to use grade 98 for all subaru car.

may i chek with subaru owners here, whether you are past owners or currently new owner to subaru. How is the maintenance like? What is the likely hood of frequent breakdown of subaru cars? Just wanted to find out more. is the maintenance cost high? Anyway experience the all wheel drive issue?

On 12/13/2021 at 4:56 PM, StreamRSZ said:

may i chek with subaru owners here, whether you are past owners or currently new owner to subaru. How is the maintenance like? What is the likely hood of frequent breakdown of subaru cars? Just wanted to find out more. is the maintenance cost high? Anyway experience the all wheel drive issue?

Hi, just to let you know there is a thread for general chats for the Subaru Forester. This can be found here : 

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2711359-2019-5th-generation-subaru-forester-sk/?page=30

To answer your questions - I am driving the Subaru Forester SK (the latest version available in Singapore) and before that drove the SJ (previous version) non-turbo version. I didn't have any issues with both. Some owners had issues with the air-con in the SJ version. Mine had the problem but was rectified during the warranty period and it was ok after that.  Other than that, I don't have any other issues. I keep all my items in stock condition and have regular maintenance with the AD. As far a regular maintenance cost is concerned, it is reasonable - note that I drove Conti for more than a decade before moving back to Japanese cars. The maintenance cost is definitely lower.

I have not driven these cars long enough to experience the common wear and tear issues that will crop out after the 6th year or so - radiator hoses,  shock absorbers, rubber components needing change etc but these will occur in older vehicles whichever cars you own and you just need to budget for this as the car ages.

As for AWD, it is great. I heard that it is normally noisier and the mileage will take a hit. For me, these are not an issue. I find that with AWD, the drive and control are better.  I guess if you don't speed or drive in bad road conditions, it will not matter.  Almost all Subaru vehicles are AWD and I do not see any complaints in this area in all the forums I read.

↡ Advertisement