Subaru EyeSight on 2019 Forester

JBboy

I am starting this new thread/topic on Subaru EyeSight as there have been many discussions among the Impreza, XV and Forester forums, and many Owners are cautious about having solar film fitted to the front windscreen.

I collected my SK Forester last week and has been exploring the EyeSight system since then.

Let's start with MI disclaimer whereby buyer has to put his/her signature on the declaration form.  In my opinion, the disclaimer is very relevant.  Why is this so?  The EyeSight system allows the driver to drive with it OR to manually switch-off either lane-departure detection or pre-collision braking or both features altogether.  The 2 switches are located on the cabin roof, above the rear view mirror.

In other words, Subaru (or anybody else) will not know whether the EyeSight was in operation should a front collision occurs.  Also, EyeSight will not work above 60 km/h (+ / - ).  What will happen if a crazy driver drives at high speed and crash his Subie and then seek legal compensation from Subaru for the "defective" EyeSight system.

I am sure all other car manufacturers that offer driver assist crash avoidance system will insist buyers to sign the Disclaimer form. At the end of the day, the driver is still fully responsible for the vehicle safety, not technology.  To be continued ... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

MI has a clear directive to buyers/owners on no solar film for front windscreen.  But I decided to have solar film anyway due to hot sunny climate here - after all, I have to sign the Disclaimer or Declaration form in the first place at the time I placed the order.  Even if I diligently follow the rules of no solar film, I still have to sign the form upfront.

As I mentioned in above posting, other car manufacturers offering driver assisted crash prevention system will implement the same procedure.  The legal implication is too great for all other car manufacturers to undertake. Even one Tesla self-driving car crashed and killed a pedestrian in USA not too long ago.

I believe MI has good intention to safeguard the owners/drivers safety in general.  There are so many solar film brands in the market.  There are low-price low-quality brands, high reflection/glare, visible light transmission issue, tint too dark, poor workmanship, trapped air bubbles, long term performance or even accidental damage to the stereo (2 nos.) camera lens.  The lens is super sensitive and any mis-spray of 'soapy' solution (when fitting the solar film) will affect the performance of EyeSight.

For Forester, there is a separate booklet solely on Eyesight - besides the usual Owner's Manual (close to 600 pages !).

The current Eyesight is 3rd generation version.  Another interesting feature is Adaptive Cruise Control which I find it very useful in today's congested expressways and it works wonderfully in day and night driving.  Haven't got the chance to try out in raining condition though.

• Praise 1

Most of the time, camera for driver aid will be sticking to windscreen.

According, it will not be blocked by solar film.

Unless it’s not sticking to windscreen

After having decided to fit windscreen solar film, next question is (1) full size or (2) cut-out for the 2 cameras to function properly.

I decided on full size for full sunlight protection. Otherwise, it’s like a bread half baked.

Next item is choosing the solar film brand. I chose high-end premium and reputable brand in Singapore. Criteria are high visible light transmission and low reflection + high solar heat rejection. I am not promoting any brand here, just sharing my experience. Let’s say the solar film type is “-75”.

The basic stuffs/things that I brought along to solar film centre:  bubble-wrap packaging and small scissor.

Step 1:  Cut a small section of bubble-wrap packaging and cover the Eyesight lens casing, with slight overlap.  Do not touch the camera lens. 

Step 2:  Apply masking tapes over the bubble-wrap and tape it securely.  When applying the bubble-wrap and masking tape, never press on the camera lens.

Step 3:  Fit the solar film to cover the full front windscreen.

Final Result:  Clear solar film for the whole front windscreen, with high solar heat rejection.  The whole job was completed in less than 2 hours, and the price is below SGD300.00

post-173787-0-79928900-1546177311_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-96644200-1546177584_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-65063400-1546177602_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-27170900-1546177864_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-06227400-1546177978_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBboy
  • Praise 5

Drove on PIE expressway this afternoon and took some pictures courtesy of my CO.  Sunny afternoon condition. 

Set the Adaptive Cruise Control mode to 75 km/h (not to exceed 80 km/h speed limit).  The Eyesight worked perfectly well, regulating the car speed by keeping a safe and pre-set distance with respect to the vehicle in-front, including those that cut into my lane, even motorbikes.

The relative distance of the car in-front is also shown in the Eyesight screen.  Fantastic and awesome system indeed !

post-173787-0-82308400-1546351202_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-00746000-1546351211_thumb.jpg

• Praise 6

Drove on PIE expressway this afternoon and took some pictures courtesy of my CO. Sunny afternoon condition.

Set the Adaptive Cruise Control mode to 75 km/h (not to exceed 80 km/h speed limit). The Eyesight worked perfectly well, regulating the car speed by keeping a safe and pre-set distance with respect to the vehicle in-front, including those that cut into my lane, even motorbikes.

The relative distance of the car in-front is also shown in the Eyesight screen. Fantastic and awesome system indeed !

Thanks for the sharing. If possible do update on the performance during night.

(edited)

Here's the evening/night drive with EyeSight: Adaptive Cruise Control mode activated "ON" on AYE expressway to Tuas.  The cruise speed is set at 75 km/h. 

As can be seen from the photos taken by my CO, the distance of the vehicle in-front of my Forester is shown by the car pictogram on the Left side (from smaller gap to longer gap).

The EyeSight works perfectly well and will regulate the car speed (I set at 75 km/h, below the 80 km/h speed limit) in relation to the vehicle in-front of mine (same lane) to the preset distance.  One photo shows my ride actual speed at 77 km/h.  The Lane Departure warning light and beep also come "ON" during lane changing (not shown in photo).

IMHO, Subaru EyeSight driver assisted system (3rd generation ?) is suitable for night driving on Singapore expressways, with full windscreen solar film as described in my earlier postings.  It was observed that the system's function was not impaired.

Of course, all drivers must not fully rely on technology and shall ensure the safety of all other road users at all times.

http://vasite.org/images/meeting/062415/subaru_next_generation_eyesight_and_future_strategy.pdf

post-173787-0-58326400-1546439824_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-13290900-1546439826_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-40021400-1546439827_thumb.jpg

post-173787-0-73253900-1546439828_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBboy

This goes to show that you get an awesome system in all subarus because Eyesight is standard across their entire range, even their "most basic" Impreza.

Subaru was the first jap carmaker to bring 5 stars safety to their entire line-up, regardless of category. So much so I tell friends and colleagues that if they like safety-tech in a Jap make, to get Subaru.

Congrats to thread starter able to find a solution and  open for sharing.

Other brands may not have the same procedure as MI. Its all depends where the radar was installed. I know there are some models being installed in the front bonnet then inside the cabin.

Edited by lun71

Subaru EyeSight system is not radar based - different from most/other car manufacturers.  It rely on 2 nos. (stereo) colour optical cameras, which lead to the big question mark on front windscreen solar film in other Subaru forums. 

I have driven on AYE expressway, morning time and against the sun glare.  The Adaptive Cruise Control responds well, and the Lane Departing warning light and beep come ON as expected.  Didn't take photo during such moments, as my wife was not around to help me, while both my hands were firmly on the steering wheel. 

I am very impressed with Subaru EyeSight system as it works well on real-world driving condition.  Nevertheless, the driver assisted system must not be used during heavy road traffic condition or rush hour period.  All-in-all, the SK Forester is an awesome SUV to drive, without having to suffer sun burn from the front windscreen.

• Praise 2

Thanks for sharing Subaru Eyesight POV.

These information is great for potential Subaru buyers with concerns of Eyesight over front solar film.

Edited by Seetong