Subaru EyeSight on 2019 Forester

JBboy

Let's start with MI disclaimer whereby buyer has to put his/her signature on the declaration form.  In my opinion, the disclaimer is very relevant.  Why is this so?  The EyeSight system allows the driver to drive with it OR to manually switch-off either lane-departure detection or pre-collision braking or both features altogether.  The 2 switches are located on the cabin roof, above the rear view mirror.

I have my reservations on this Eyesight technology on pre collision braking. 

Look at this example - 

↡ Advertisement

I have my reservations on this Eyesight technology on pre collision braking. 

Look at this example - 

Guess there will always be example of system failure, just depending if its the norm or exception. 

Believe Volvo is using radar technology.

Such systems are meant to assist and not replace driver intervention. However, as some people had said, the system would have paid itself with it activating once. 

I think of more concern is if with false detection, it might brake suddenly/wrongly, and causing hazards to vehicles behind. 

own a subaru with eyesight for 2 months now, and solar film installed on day 2. eyesight's ACC has never failed me day/night. 

went to the new owner's workshop at tpy as well, the master technician addressed the solar film question and said "as long your eyes can see, eyesight also can see". lol

• Praise 2

Technology, just like electronics, will eventually fail one day. Just got to be alert and don't rely entirely on the Eye Sight and switch off when driving 

Edited by Vinceng

Guess there will always be example of system failure, just depending if its the norm or exception. 

Believe Volvo is using radar technology.

Such systems are meant to assist and not replace driver intervention. However, as some people had said, the system would have paid itself with it activating once. 

I think of more concern is if with false detection, it might brake suddenly/wrongly, and causing hazards to vehicles behind. 

This Volvo video was uploaded in May 2015.  I believe much technological improvements have been made through the years for all car manufacturers. 

Anyway, different manufacturers adopt different technology.

The EyeSight system can be switched OFF manually - Lane Departing and/or Pre-Collision, if the driver choose to.  The 2 switches are located overhead, above the rear view mirror.

This explains why MI requires buyers to sign the disclaimer form upfront when placing order for new Subaru cars with Eyesight.

post-173787-0-32689400-1547113822_thumb.jpg

During one rainy day last week, I turned-off/switched-off the wipers manually upon entering my office car park and let the front windscreen be "blocked' by rain droplets, just to see how the EyeSight system reacts.

At that instance, the EyeSight warning came on, as well as the 2 smaller yellow lights - lane departing and pre-collision.  Basically, it warns the driver that the EyeSght system is disabled.  Please see the photo as attached below.

Never encountered such warning during my typical day and night driving, as well as raining days with the wipers in use.  In summary, the solar film did not affect the EyeSight function so long as the front windscreen visibility is clear/good.  Like another bro mentioned, as long as our eyes can see, the EyeSight system will also "see" and functions normally.

post-173787-0-89969500-1548087553_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

Thanks for sharing, it will really help to alleviate the worries of many Eyesight drivers.

I have 1 concern, that’s at night, when it’s dark outside the car, but the cabin lights happened to be on, thus the windscreen glass is reflective. In such situations, driver’s vision is affected due to the brighter interior. I wonder if EyeSight’s performance will be affected.

Will you be able to test this out for everyone’s benefit?

Drove on AYE expressway yesterday night (Tuas-Jurong area).

Even after switching-ON the 2 front reading lights (for driver and front passenger) and the centre courtesy light for rear passengers, the EyeSight system functions as usual.  The strategic positioning of the 2 cameras ensures that any stray light is shielded away.

• Praise 1

Drove on AYE expressway yesterday night (Tuas-Jurong area).

Even after switching-ON the 2 front reading lights (for driver and front passenger) and the centre courtesy light for rear passengers, the EyeSight system functions as usual.  The strategic positioning of the 2 cameras ensures that any stray light is shielded away.

Thank you so much for the information, gives us the assurance to install the solar film without worries.

By the way, do you have the specs of your solar film, so that we know in your case, what kind of light penetration level worked.

I am looking at the 3M Crystalline series, not sure how long the level of light penetration I can go without affecting the Eyesight's performance at all.

Thank you so much for the information, gives us the assurance to install the solar film without worries.

By the way, do you have the specs of your solar film, so that we know in your case, what kind of light penetration level worked.

I am looking at the 3M Crystalline series, not sure how long the level of light penetration I can go without affecting the Eyesight's performance at all.

Am also considering the 3M Crystalline, maybe the CR70. Wonder any bros have any review using this or recommendations.

The solar film specs on my front windscreen have 78% visible light transmission, 10% visible light reflectance.

Just to side-track here: my Forester side windows and rear windscreen are fitted with tinted automotive security film by another brand, as I had one past bad experience of car theft where my car rear quarter window was smashed and notebook stolen across the Causeway many years ago.

• Praise 1

I am starting this new thread/topic on Subaru EyeSight as there have been many discussions among the Impreza, XV and Forester forums, and many Owners are cautious about having solar film fitted to the front windscreen.

I collected my SK Forester last week and has been exploring the EyeSight system since then.

Let's start with MI disclaimer whereby buyer has to put his/her signature on the declaration form.  In my opinion, the disclaimer is very relevant.  Why is this so?  The EyeSight system allows the driver to drive with it OR to manually switch-off either lane-departure detection or pre-collision braking or both features altogether.  The 2 switches are located on the cabin roof, above the rear view mirror.

In other words, Subaru (or anybody else) will not know whether the EyeSight was in operation should a front collision occurs.  Also, EyeSight will not work above 60 km/h (+ / - ).  What will happen if a crazy driver drives at high speed and crash his Subie and then seek legal compensation from Subaru for the "defective" EyeSight system.

I am sure all other car manufacturers that offer driver assist crash avoidance system will insist buyers to sign the Disclaimer form. At the end of the day, the driver is still fully responsible for the vehicle safety, not technology.  To be continued ... 

Hi JBboy,

Without the nice display but my 2018 FL mazda 6  executive has similar safety features using also camera system that does not requires Eurokar to have owners sign disclaimer nor does not install solar film on windscreen:

http://www.mazda.com.sg/car/mazda-6/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1Xsh5YbsICpJdMuKOhem02QFfksPBpxVVShV8ISWWyvZJXqIk5JVrUBoCb5QQAvD_BwE#safe

Yes, mazda's safety features can also be switched off under user's option.

The whole issue to me is not if eyesight system works or does not work in certain circumstance which Subaru Japan obviously felt that there is a risk and MI follows suit to skip on the solar film for the window screen but the concern on insurance coy voiding claim if they find out ... may not had happened yet perhaps but there will be this risk.

If MI proceeded with solar film on the windscreen, they have to assume the responsibilities which they are clearly not willing to do so and I know since I escalated to their management when about to sign for the 2018 impreza 5D eyesight....  not sure why owners feels that they know better to install solar film on windscreen or willing to take such risk and believe they have more legal power to fight insurance coys if such void of claim occurs.

For owners who had proceeded with eyesight with solar film, I strongly recommend that they declare use of solar film for entire car the next time they are applying of their new car insurance, including the windscreen, to avoid this risk since I had not read of any owners who had done so successfully and my queries to them during consideration for the 2018 Impreza 5D eyesight were not entertained.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the advice.  Yes, I will get in contact with car insurance company soon and clarify on the risk of voiding any claims. 

• Praise 1

Hi JBboy,

Cool and thanks a million !

This will help many bros to avert risk if any and kindly share here the outcome but please ensure solar film is written in your new insurance policy and not just verbal confirmation or hear-say by some zealous agent or agency.

Cheers,

Richard

↡ Advertisement