Car hit by fallen tree? NParks may cover claim

Purezazn

Sigh. The irony.

Maybe that lady's intention is good just the wrong way to express it. Bad choices of words in the time like this.

Her intention is to sell you the insurance policy. Of course good la. 

For her pocket.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

All the trees in the Singapore Botanic Gardens' Palm Valley have been found to be safe after a detailed check, with more inspections to follow, said the National Parks Board (NParks) yesterday, a day after a falling tembusu tree killed a woman and injured several others.

NParks said it will conduct more checks on trees in the vicinity of the Palm Valley, such as the Rainforest, and on all the heritage trees in the Gardens.

"We want to assure the public that we share concerns about the safety of our trees in the Singapore Botanic Gardens, especially in view of the recent spate of intense weather conditions," said its commissioner of parks and recreation Leong Chee Chiew in a statement.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/botanic-gardens-safe-for-visit-nparks?login=true

I think it is a bit too hasty for them to come and make this comment w/o really checking all the trees and not just the ones in the vicinity of the one that fell. If I didn't read/remember wrongly, this was the 2nd tree that fell within the past few days.

It ain't reassuring to me when they say it is safe. After all, that is exactly what they would have told the poor victims had they asked Leong Chee Chiew before going to the gardens on that day.

I think it is a bit too hasty for them to come and make this comment w/o really checking all the trees and not just the ones in the vicinity of the one that fell. If I didn't read/remember wrongly, this was the 2nd tree that fell within the past few days.

It ain't reassuring to me when they say it is safe. After all, that is exactly what they would have told the poor victims had they asked Leong Chee Chiew before going to the gardens on that day.

Their statement is very clear right? The trees in that area have been checked. Now they checking rest of the gardens.

I was there yesterday am, they did cordon off the entire area. Though i didn't see anyone checking trees. But it's too far to see if inspection teams were checking. 

Crisis or disaster response is like that one lor. U say hasty, people say no update. They release 1 month later, then people say wah sit on kar cheng take your own sweet time checking ...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

This kind of statement is SOP. Everytime something happens, they will issue this, whether true or not only they know.

If you look at the pictures of the tree's removal... the roots area still have a very large amount of soil attached to the roots..  also the cross section of the tree seems healthy to my untrained eye.

ie.. the tree was healthy

I really think its becoz the soil loosened like someone else pointed out.. ie.. they shld be checking the soil as well.. whether any other large and heavy tree can be sustained by its surrounding soil....  

Her intention is to sell you the insurance policy. Of course good la. 

For her pocket.

To be honest...imo whether it's the victim of the tree felling or whether it's the financial consultant they are not really good ppl.

One is the head of a credit card company (cc companies are evil...always tempting ppl with instant credit and signed blank cheques) and the other is annoying.

So....insensitive?....maybe it's not.

This kind of statement is SOP. Everytime something happens, they will issue this, whether true or not only they know.

Standard statement whenever something happened and it doesnt serve any purpose on explaining the issue at all. This is the standard practise lo.

Standard statement whenever something happened and it doesnt serve any purpose on explaining the issue at all. This is the standard practise lo.

Like an excuse chit or hu shen fu (talisman)? Haiz.

To be honest...imo whether it's the victim of the tree felling or whether it's the financial consultant they are not really good ppl.

One is the head of a credit card company (cc companies are evil...always tempting ppl with instant credit and signed blank cheques) and the other is annoying.

oei.. people die already la.. 

积点口德好不好?

• Praise 4

The way they imply also sends the wrong message like buying the insurance coverage there will be some kinda forceshield to protect ppl from harm to have that "peace of mind". As a matter of fact it doesn't. It only covers the ppl you love in case something bad happens. It does not make them immune to such accidents. The way they write also cmi. That's why they look so despo. Trying too hard.

Confirm insurance got cover? Cos I thought most will have stupid exclusion clauses against act of god force majeure events and terrorist acts etc.. [confused] ..confirm boh this agent..

People only tan jiak one leh.... 

• Praise 1

Isn't it the banks that do the kind of marketing that you described?

So far, I have never been approached directly by mastercard or visa leh.

wow! the trees must be angry

One hurt by falling tree at Yuan Ching Road carpark
1 of 2
dummy.gif
A tree fell in a carpark on Yuan Ching Road on Feb 13, 2017.PHOTO: ST READER

Published
9 min ago

SINGAPORE - In a second such incident in days, one person was taken to hospital on Monday after a tree fell in a carpark on Yuan Ching Road.

In photos sent to The Straits Times, a tree appears to have fallen on the open passenger door of a lorry, crushing its window.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said that it received a call about the incident at about 2.30pm on Monday (Feb 13).

It said one person was taken to Ng Teng Fong Hospital, although no details were given about injuries.

This is the second such incident to take place here in a matter of days.

One person died and four others were injured on Saturday when a 40m-tall tembusu tree fell at the Singapore Botanic Gardens on Saturday.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/one-hurt-by-falling-tree-at-yuan-ching-road-carpark?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1486975219

Observations:

In my limited lifespan, I observe that things often happens in crops (groups). When you hit bad luck, it is one event after another.

This world (Earth) does not just belong to MAN but we made it as if it is our right to own every square inch of the planet leaving very little space left for the other species. When we clear a large long track of pristine green area near a reservoir for the sake of our train, did we respect other species including plants, we just cut and clear but when one tree fall eg on a car we make so much noise and some even blame the tree. In addition, the State fine and punish anybody who cut trees that are endangered. But when they bulldozed the track of pristine green would they identify first any endangered trees present. If endangered trees are present, I am sure, in the word of progress they will be cut cut cut.

Trees like any trees need an environment suited for them like in a forest but if you plant a single tree at interval along the road it becomes unnatural. It is asking us to permanently live underwater with the fishes.

In live, everything is a compromise and there is a price to pay for everything decision we make or any action we take.

PS: It is an unfortunate incident, nobody wants it to happen but that said, let us be respectful those who have departed.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2