New 6th Generation BMW 7 Series (G11 / G12)

Carbon82

(edited)

At this price bracket and target market... I'd say go for the S class. Really no brainer. The 7 series is full of pointless tech gimmicks and doesn't seem to align to requirements of a proper luxury sedan.

The Merc will beat the 7 series hands down in terms of ride quality and comfort.

If one really wanted to enjoy driving, get the 5 series. Try parking the 740Li in a normal HDB carpark and you will know what I mean... people buying cars like that will usually want to have a chauffeur.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a BMW fan. But the 7er is just not right.

I'm actually also quite disappointed at the crazy price of the new 5 series and the amount of stupid gimmicks it comes with. For a quarter million dollar luxury sedan for gods' sake at least offer it with comfort seats (lumbar + thigh support), 4 zone aircon and through-loading (aka fold-down) rear seats. What the heck was BMW Asia/PML thinking?

Edited by Detach8
↡ Advertisement

At this price bracket and target market... I'd say go for the S class. Really no brainer. The 7 series is full of pointless tech gimmicks and doesn't seem to align to requirements of a proper luxury sedan.

The Merc will beat the 7 series hands down in terms of ride quality and comfort.

If one really wanted to enjoy driving, get the 5 series. Try parking the 740Li in a normal HDB carpark and you will know what I mean... people buying cars like that will usually want to have a chauffeur.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a BMW fan. But the 7er is just not right.

I'm actually also quite disappointed at the crazy price of the new 5 series and the amount of stupid gimmicks it comes with. For a quarter million dollar luxury sedan for gods' sake at least offer it with comfort seats (lumbar + thigh support), 4 zone aircon and through-loading (aka fold-down) rear seats. What the heck was BMW Asia/PML thinking?

Agree with you that the 7 series class, usually compete as luxury limo that's driven by chauffeur, is pointless competing against the S class. So are the A8 and LS... But there's always a market for a car like this, because buyers want variety and differentiation. Imagine all tow-kays come in chauffeured S class .... some younger upstarts will want to differentiate themselves. Therefore the market is available.

Also the flag ship model will always boost the brand value and increase the perceive value of the lower down models, like the 6er, 5er, 4er and 3er, ... and now 2er and 1er. 

On the G30 5 series, as a consumer, the complain is valid. But as the dealer/distributor/manufacturer, if the demand is high and supply could not keep up with demand, laws of economics say, why should they offer more for the same or less? The moment demand tapers off, that's when you see better deals and options thrown in. Its all about demand and supply. But it'll take some time.

Its all business. Unfortunately, car buyers usually think with the heart, whereas business like the luxury car industry depends on the extra margin of their new model to milk profit and boost their balance sheet. They are after all a public listed company that work to increase their EPS and eventually boost share value.

Agree with you that the 7 series class, usually compete as luxury limo that's driven by chauffeur, is pointless competing against the S class. So are the A8 and LS... But there's always a market for a car like this, because buyers want variety and differentiation. Imagine all tow-kays come in chauffeured S class .... some younger upstarts will want to differentiate themselves. Therefore the market is available.

Also the flag ship model will always boost the brand value and increase the perceive value of the lower down models, like the 6er, 5er, 4er and 3er, ... and now 2er and 1er. 

On the G30 5 series, as a consumer, the complain is valid. But as the dealer/distributor/manufacturer, if the demand is high and supply could not keep up with demand, laws of economics say, why should they offer more for the same or less? The moment demand tapers off, that's when you see better deals and options thrown in. Its all about demand and supply. But it'll take some time.

Its all business. Unfortunately, car buyers usually think with the heart, whereas business like the luxury car industry depends on the extra margin of their new model to milk profit and boost their balance sheet. They are after all a public listed company that work to increase their EPS and eventually boost share value.

when market demand for g30 tapers off, it will be time to launch the 520i or maybe 518i?

when market demand for g30 tapers off, it will be time to launch the 520i or maybe 518i?

The 520i has already been announced, and is likely going to arrive in SG by the end of the year. Just in time to catch a new crowd after the 530i launched back at the start of the year.

I tested both the S320 as well as the 730 (G11 and G12) and whilst I do not disagree that the Merc's comfort is top notch, I still prefer the handling of the G11/G12. This is even so with the 730 which is on a "simple"  B48 4cyl 2l engine.

As for the length, both the G12 and S (which only comes in LWB) are equally long and as such, the G11 will be the preferred choice IMO for reason noted in the earlier post.

If I am being driven around, I will lean more towards the S class.

• Praise 2

Facelift coming, and the most obvious difference is the kidney styled grill, which is getting even larger!!

[:|]  :wacko:

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-6c3ec53b-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-846ae0-117

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-fa56ff99-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-206677ca-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-3f6be9e5-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-884ee43d-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-780f7bd-11

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-dd7e9cff-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-d19dcc33-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-9da0e57a-1

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Facelift coming, and the most obvious difference is the kidney styled grill, which is getting even larger!!

[:|]  :wacko:

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-6c3ec53b-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-846ae0-117

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-fa56ff99-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-206677ca-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-3f6be9e5-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-884ee43d-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-780f7bd-11

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-dd7e9cff-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-d19dcc33-1

Erlkoenig-BMW-7er-fotoshowBig-9da0e57a-1

Merge the kidney grills and put a three pointed star above, and it looks like a S class.  [laugh]

Small eyes, big nostrils!!!

New 2019 BMW 7 Series images showing X7 influence leak

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2019-bmw-7-series-images-showing-x7-influence-leak

Images showing the full styling of the facelifted BMW 7 Series have leaked online ahead of the car's official debut, revealing larger kidney grilles influenced by the new X7 SUV.

1bmw7seriesleak1.jpg?itok=1xRPKi7J

1bmw7seriesleak2.jpg?itok=4kEoJPuw

The new images were posted by BMW Blog, which says they were uploaded early to a BMW online configurator. As well as showing the car's front end undisguised, the images also unveil its side and rear profile.

The updated luxury saloon's new nostrils are accompanied by sharper exterior styling that includes slimmer headlights and tail-lights.

Changes have also been made beneath the car's skin, the most significant of which being the introduction of a more potent plug-in hybrid variant.

Previously spied testing with a disguised livery, the flagship range’s current electrified model, the 740e iPerformance, will give way to a 745e iPerformance hybrid offering more punch and increased range.

The new electrified technology will also provide the 745e with a greater electric-only range. The 740e is good for 29 miles, so it’s likely that the new hybrid will push that into the low 30s.

Alongside the enhanced plug-in variant, the rest of the 7 Series range will also receive improvements. Expect more power and improved fuel economy for the engines, which include six-cylinder petrols and a four-cylinder diesel, as well the V8 750i and V12 M760Li xDrive.

The X7, a rival to the Range Rover that launched late last year, will rub shoulders with the 7 Series at the top of BMW’s range. The design link is likely a tactic to create familiarity between the two flagship models.  

Both cars are pitched directly at high-flying luxury car buyers, of whom a large number come from China. Customers there typically prefer more aggressive car design, so this new look is possibly also evidence of a design shift to cater to tastes in the world’s biggest new car market.

Aside from the altered front end, the rest of the spotted test car appears to feature more discreet alterations, including a new front bumper design and slimmer lights at the rear.

Inside, the existing architecture will be updated with BMW’s latest infotainment technology. Major changes aren't expected, although a digital instrument display is likely and should significantly enhance the user experience while also helping the 7 Series keep up with technology offered by rivals such as Audi.

Photos of the 2020 LCI 7 series.

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

The kidney grille are starting to get too big for my liking. Any bigger will look like a pig..

For the rear, the light bar will be similar to Porsche's current design trend, may or may not be a good thing? (Everyone's doing it nowadays).

Looks better than the front thou. 

If i'm in the market for this segment, I will stick to the S. If money not a problem the Panamera. 

Edited by Atachi
  • Praise 1

Hua Cheng Bao Ma :XD:

Kidney Grille very suitable for Year of PIG :a-happy:

Every 10 yrs they exchange the size of grill n the headlight .
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3