Aloysius Pang dies after SAF trg Ex in New Zealand

Hmsg

One of my secondary classmate died in the camp rapelling incident.

He went to the same camp. Should be between 94 to 97.

I'm not aware of this one. RIP my departed comrade. Hope you are at a better place now.

I guess suicides in camp claimed the most lives, followed by rappelling, then IPPT.  

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement

My NS vocation involves towing and deploying of weapons system. Lots of moving parts, lots of heavy vehicle and equipment, lots of TSR.

Perhaps the single most effective "TSR" that our unit practiced was "STAND CLEAR !".

Whenever someone shouts Stand Clear, someone echos, everybody is alerted and obeys, regardless of rank. Very simple, very effective. 

That simple practice kept was well for our active and reservist duties. 

Most of our equipment are getting more complex with more TSRs than perhaps most can remember, so there has to be a key common denominator TSR that soldiers are trained to respond to and pause immediately and start looking around himself.

• Praise 1

As understood from the mindef news conference, there are 2 ways the gun barrel can be lowered, automatic by pressing the button and manual turning the rotary.

Moving forward, they should use the manual way of lowering the barrel as this can be stopped at any point of the time when the turning stop.

Pls correct me if I get the manual turning portion wrong.

Have a good rest in God's arms.... Our Singapore Son Aloysius Pang Wei Chong.

My NS vocation involves towing and deploying of weapons system. Lots of moving parts, lots of heavy vehicle and equipment, lots of TSR.

Perhaps the single most effective "TSR" that our unit practiced was "STAND CLEAR !".

Whenever someone shouts Stand Clear, someone echos, everybody is alerted and obeys, regardless of rank. Very simple, very effective.

Most of our equipment are getting more complex with more TSRs than perhaps most can remember, so there has to be a key common denominator TSR that soldiers are trained to respond to and pause immediately and start looking around himself.

155mm?

The answer is simple. The unit does not have proper handing/taking over procedures, which led to your experience.

Frankly, I encountered this during my ICT as well.

The excuses they gave? Change of S1 la, change of clerk la, change of DXO la.. In my mind i was thinking, "yeah you're pretty honest to use such a lame excuse, but an excuse is an excuse, not supposed to happen at all"

Safety culture?

in one of my recent ICTs, the newly arrived cmdr wanted us to go for SAR21 live firing (ostensibly to improve our soldiering skills) on top of our packed training schedule. Schedule was adjusted accordingly to make time & space for this.

Before ICT, I received a call asking if I had gone for SAR21 conversion course.

My first reply was: why doesn't unit/MINDEF have this info on file?

I then (truthfully) told the caller I did it 9 freaking years ago with the unit..

During ICT, there was a big hoohaa to mkt this live shoot. Again, we were asked if we had done the SAR21 conversion course and had to sign against a nominal roll to indicate yes or no. Those that declared "yes" were to go for the shoot.

Honestly I was fairly confident I wouldn't cock up the live firing but wasn't so sure abt the other ICT mates, whom I hardly knew. IA IA!!

Not remembering how to strip and clean the SAR21 was an obstacle I'd cross when necessary.

Went to buy new FAD and dog tags as required for live firing.

last min found out that a good number of us were not able to go for the live firing due to some reason. Some other pre-qualification necessary that was not planned for... I can't recall what it was but it was epic face palm.

to me the biggest takeaway was, the unit/MINDEF doesn't keep records for such essential weapon handling proficiency qualifications and expects us to self-declare. One may say it's only small arms (5.56mm) but still a mind-boggler.

• Praise 2

Deleted due to sensitive information

I remember reading it somewhere, but it seems the Primus is no longer in use in the ACTIVE units, only NS units.

I wonder why? The SPH is only 15 years old

Edited by Daniu82

This MG Goh just gave me a scholar look. Saw the photo that he can't even do a proper sedia, really a paper general.

look more like my clerk and storeman kakis during my ict

• Praise 1

As understood from the mindef news conference, there are 2 ways the gun barrel can be lowered, automatic by pressing the button and manual turning the rotary.

Moving forward, they should use the manual way of lowering the barrel as this can be stopped at any point of the time when the turning stop.

Pls correct me if I get the manual turning portion wrong.

Have a good rest in God's arms.... Our Singapore Son Aloysius Pang Wei Chong.

High chance people gonna get trouble for not following tsr..

Or testing the auto function never check clear.

Either way.. it's just unlikely we'll see mindef name names, nor is it desirable?.. cos its a lose lose situation for the soldiers involved.. what happens in the cabin, stays in the cabin, and likely only a select group will know the unfiltered truth.

Yes, it will be decommission after all NS units trained in this MR. My battalion is 1 of them and we already MRed.

Hmm..... pretty sure that breaches op sec.

Whatever the new system, this is still sensitive info. U may want to delete

• Praise 1

This MG Goh just gave me a scholar look. Saw the photo that he can't even do a proper sedia, really a paper general.

Typical scholar look lor and probably your future minister.

The kind pinky like.

So true.......army guys if injured can say bye bye liao. They cant work in an office and wont want to become an instructor for life.......outside not much choice either.

I didnt say the nco was from pioneer hor.....

• Praise 1

Like I said, it just takes one sotong soldier to day dream and not listening to any command, to get someone killed.

Procedures and TSR are already in place, but the soldiers need to be mindful and alert.

• Praise 2

He setup own business and luckily most camp mates try to support him

He should be from 1st company

Rest In Peace my comrade

Encik Kiong will attend almost all funerals of our fellow comrades

Actually he is a nice guy just only his gpmg mouth

Most of the enciks I encountered are loso.

They always loso about safety during my nsf days as my unit deals with heavy equipment.

If they spot something not safely handled, their face will black like the bottom of the pot and followed by punishment. Initially thought the punishment was tekan session, but it had engraved the importance of safety into our training soldiers' minds cos sometime too shagged mind can't think well, really need someone beside us to remind us.

This has taught us to look after one another as we wanted to ord together.

• Praise 14