Carpark that only accept cashcard (with chip)

kopfan

No more cashcard with the chip? Then what happens for my car IU?

Got to pay $200 to change IU?!

high flyer, mcf way is change car...
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

still have, cheers, 7-eleven still selling. 

still have, cheers, 7-eleven still selling. 

But is it still in production? Or I gotta get a few spares now?

high flyer, mcf way is change car...

Waiting to take over your S-class for parf value Sifu.

But is it still in production? Or I gotta get a few spares now?

Waiting to take over your S-class for parf value Sifu.

wah you may have to wait for quite a while leh

still haven’t bought an ass class...hopefully next life born into elite family got chance

What's the charges for the top up using the app.

It's been awhile. I think it's 50 cent flat fee regardless of top up amount. But I usually do it only for ten bucks so it comes to 5 percent. Small amount for the convenience if you ask me.

It's saved my butt once when I was in a carpark (Biopolis) and I realised my cashcards were low in value. I topped up my Flashpay while sitting in my car. Done in 2min, no issues with this gantry as it was the updated type.

Which app?

There is a Flashpay app on Google play store. Works with NFC Android phones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mls.nets.reader

Edited by Turboflat4

My car also still using 1st gen IU. Therefore I only use 1st gen cashcard.

Looks like I have to start hunting for new 1st gen cashcard already. Mine expires Dec 2019.

If you wanna change IU, can get those used 2nd gen IU from scrap cars, then bring to inspection centre for installation and transfer of new IU number. But the 2nd gen used IUs must be less than 6 months old after the car is scrapped. Way cheaper than getting new IU.

Both my old chip cashcards expire early 2020. Hopefully most carparks would have upgraded by then, especially the checkpoints. I don't want to keep too many cashcards, I'll get another chip cashcard if I can still find it in 2020 or just get the new gen cashcard and use a spare ez-link card. Too many ez-link cards lying around with long expiry. 

Anyway with the next gen IU coming up, there might not be a need for cashcards anymore. 

How do people with non-chip cashcards get away with the toll at checkpoints? Just go off without paying? Or can the machine take the new gen cashcards? 

This is definitely not possible.[laugh]

Both my old chip cashcards expire early 2020. Hopefully most carparks would have upgraded by then, especially the checkpoints. I don't want to keep too many cashcards, I'll get another chip cashcard if I can still find it in 2020 or just get the new gen cashcard and use a spare ez-link card. Too many ez-link cards lying around with long expiry. 

Anyway with the next gen IU coming up, there might not be a need for cashcards anymore. 

How do people with non-chip cashcards get away with the toll at checkpoints? Just go off without paying? Or can the machine take the new gen cashcards? 

Kallang Wave.. plus some HDB carparks.. 

so much for smart nation.. 

The e-payment thing here is just a joke...

- Stored value cards are an outdated technology. The vast majority of terminals are online already. And there's other ways of handling anonymous/shared payments.

- Fees for doing auto "top-up", even though this procedure is far more efficient for everyone than having to top-up manually at an ATM.

- Most adults carry a bank card (debit, credit, ATM), which even carries a Nets logo & supports contactless transactions via Visa/MC etv. But none of these cards can be used contactless on Nets' own contactless terminals, which only supports Nets stored value "flashpay" card, which is already outdated.

- QR codes at hawker centres. Ever been behind someone fumbling with their phone & trying to get their phone app to recognize the scan? Horribly ineffecient payment method. (except for the vendor, who just needs to print the code on a piece a paper & slap it on the wall)

SG could have lept 15 years ahead by simply...

1. Position ezlink cards as the single national payment system for any amount up to, say, SGD200. Create anonymous & personal versions.

2. Optionally auto-link ezlink cards to a bank account of your choice, at no extra cost.

3. For bank cards, mandate the use of Nets at all vendors accepting cards. (there's still plenty of places that accepts credit cards but not Nets)

4. Swiftly adopt contactless acceptance for all Nets-enabled bank cards.

And these aren't just small inconveniences. SG spends 1.5% of GDP on transactional costs like these.

• Praise 2

The e-payment thing here is just a joke...

- Stored value cards are an outdated technology. The vast majority of terminals are online already. And there's other ways of handling anonymous/shared payments.

- Fees for doing auto "top-up", even though this procedure is far more efficient for everyone than having to top-up manually at an ATM.

- Most adults carry a bank card (debit, credit, ATM), which even carries a Nets logo & supports contactless transactions via Visa/MC etv. But none of these cards can be used contactless on Nets' own contactless terminals, which only supports Nets stored value "flashpay" card, which is already outdated.

- QR codes at hawker centres. Ever been behind someone fumbling with their phone & trying to get their phone app to recognize the scan? Horribly ineffecient payment method. (except for the vendor, who just needs to print the code on a piece a paper & slap it on the wall)

SG could have lept 15 years ahead by simply...

1. Position ezlink cards as the single national payment system for any amount up to, say, SGD200. Create anonymous & personal versions.

2. Optionally auto-link ezlink cards to a bank account of your choice, at no extra cost.

3. For bank cards, mandate the use of Nets at all vendors accepting cards. (there's still plenty of places that accepts credit cards but not Nets)

4. Swiftly adopt contactless acceptance for all Nets-enabled bank cards.

And these aren't just small inconveniences. SG spends 1.5% of GDP on transactional costs like these.

Do you know that all the banks and Nets charge a monthly rental for their machines and also transaction fee per transactions? Almost all the cashless payment mode in Singapore is not free of charge to the vendors and this in turn add to the operation cost of the vendors.

I foresee that when more drivers buy new cash card.. It will be a big problem for many carpark already. Many carpark still using older system that do not support new cash card.

Imagine lets say this carpark 5 cars queuing, the 1st car using new cash card, can't exit this carpark, then need to intercom and waste say 1 to 2 minutes and gentry open, then 3rd car also using new cash card, same thing happen again. It will be a nightmare with long queue to exit carpark because of this.

I wonder why the one who implemented new cash card don't ensure it is backward compatibility. If it is backward compatible, it will not have this issue. Those that implement new update must understand that if it is mainstream and used by majority of people. They can't expect the new update to be adopted by all these people immediately.. It need time to shift from old to new, some may take even 5 yrs to change.

It's like USB standard from USB 2.0 to 3.0 to 3.1 all are backward compatible, why? For that very same reason.

Edited by Yewheng

Do you know that all the banks and Nets charge a monthly rental for their machines and also transaction fee per transactions? Almost all the cashless payment mode in Singapore is not free of charge to the vendors and this in turn add to the operation cost of the vendors.

That's why the government should fund the payment of a cost efficient payment infrastructure (just like they fund the roads) - the adverse impact on the GDP by leaving this to private operators like now is vastly larger than the cost of running the infrastructure.

Private operators like the banks, Visa & MC makes billions on charging people for using their own money...

Edited by WaydwayneSG

I foresee that when more drivers buy new cash card.. It will be a big problem for many carpark already. Many carpark still using older system that do not support new cash card.

Imagine lets say this carpark 5 cars queuing, the 1st car using new cash card, can't exit this carpark, then need to intercom and waste say 1 to 2 minutes and gentry open, then 3rd car also using new cash card, same thing happen again. It will be a nightmare with long queue to exit carpark because of this.

I wonder why the one who implemented new cash card don't ensure it is backward compatibility. If it is backward compatible, it will not have this issue. Those that implement new update must understand that if it is mainstream and used by majority of people. They can't expect the new update to be adopted by all these people immediately.. It need time to shift from old to new, some may take even 5 yrs to change.

It's like USB standard from USB 2.0 to 3.0 to 3.1 all are backward compatible, why? For that very same reason.

because the longer you're stuck in the carpark the more they earn? somemore its the poor operator that usually gets screamed at by frustrated drivers but not themselves?

worst is those carpark that have the nets flashpay sticker but when exit only accept the chipped cashcard..

Let me try to answer your question. There are basically 2 types of cards in use. Cash card (with chip) and CEPAS card, contactless type. So, inorder or car park to read both cards and the charging, they need 2 different machines. LTA of course does that for all their ERP, haha.

Older carparks may not want to incurr cost to install these new readers and charging unit because they revenue from car parking is low. Unless cash card is phased out, they then got no choice. That is unlikely to happen soon. It involves replacing thousands of old IU in cars registered more than 10 years ago. Next generation IU still need to charge through a prepaid card system. Unless they decide to bill owner at the end of the month. Then you still cannot solve private car park.

Immigration of course got both readers lah. Cash cows how not to install?

• Praise 1

Let me try to answer your question. There are basically 2 types of cards in use. Cash card (with chip) and CEPAS card, contactless type. So, inorder or car park to read both cards and the charging, they need 2 different machines. LTA of course does that for all their ERP, haha.

Older carparks may not want to incurr cost to install these new readers and charging unit because they revenue from car parking is low. Unless cash card is phased out, they then got no choice. That is unlikely to happen soon. It involves replacing thousands of old IU in cars registered more than 10 years ago. Next generation IU still need to charge through a prepaid card system. Unless they decide to bill owner at the end of the month. Then you still cannot solve private car park.

Immigration of course got both readers lah. Cash cows how not to install?

But at least during the design phase, should make it backward compatible leh.

But at least during the design phase, should make it backward compatible leh.

Cards belong to different owners. Technology also different. So, it is always cost to install reader and charging unit. got money sure ok but if revenue low, thry obviously relunctant to upgrade

That's why the government should fund the payment of a cost efficient payment infrastructure (just like they fund the roads) - the adverse impact on the GDP by leaving this to private operators like now is vastly larger than the cost of running the infrastructure.

Private operators like the banks, Visa & MC makes billions on charging people for using their own money...

The rental cost and per transaction charges maybe a problem for small business owners.

Also going cashless will be problem for old people who don't know how to use smartphone and people who don't own a handphone, you'll be surprised that there are still people who don't own a handphone in Singapore.

Edited by Leo72
↡ Advertisement