Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Blueray

quick review on my F1A5, had them for nearly 6mths and 3k km mileage. PI tyres, made in Germany IIRC

Previously on Michelin PS4, driving lexus is250, staggered setup (225/45/17 Front; 245/45/17 Rear)

What I Like:

• compared to PS4, the F1A5 is a little more fun to drive and more responsive, steering is sharper and car "felt" faster
  • tyres feel confident in both dry and wet condition, very little to no difference between these and PS4 for these condition. I did feel a slight pull to the side during one of the sections of PIE where there is a pool of water before a mild curve - hence aquaplaning resistance may be a little weaker.
  • Price (vs PS4)

What I Don't Like:

• ride is a little harsher, I feel the bumps and uneven of road more with F1A5; noise level is definitely more pronounce with F1A5 too. The PS4's road noise is also at a comparatively lower frequency than the F1A5 so even at lower noise sections, PS4 felt more comforting to ear
  • Car does not feel as planted as compared to when on PS4
  • looks

Overall

The F1A5 really puts up a strong challenge to the PS4 and there really is little difference between the 2.

For a more fun drive, go for the F1A5. For more comfortable and planted ride, go for the PS4.

To me what really sets them apart though is the pricing. I saved 30-40$ per tyre by changing to the F1A5 and that is really something significant in current times.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Supersonic

I had the Assy3 on my GTI last time. Didn't really notice the tyre noise so much probably coz of the bassy exhaust note and DSG farts probably drowned out the tyre noise

But w the Assy5 on my A6, the tyre noise seems quite noticeable even w the good cabin sound insulation

So cannot really conclude if the Assy5 is noisier than the Assy3

Moral of story: Buy the CSC6

19 minutes ago, Soya said:

I had the Assy3 on my GTI last time. Didn't really notice the tyre noise so much probably coz of the bassy exhaust note and DSG farts probably drowned out the tyre noise

But w the Assy5 on my A6, the tyre noise seems quite noticeable even w the good cabin sound insulation

So cannot really conclude if the Assy5 is noisier than the Assy3

Moral of story: Buy the CSC6

no la, it mean the A6 is more quiet then the GTI😁

Supersonic
15 minutes ago, Beregond said:

no la, it mean the A6 is more quiet then the GTI😁

That one for sure la 

One is angmo beng chia the other is angmo overpriced VW

But hor the CSC6 sibei good grip & quiet. Guess we get what we pay for so it's liddat

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, Blueray said:

my friend got a set of Assy 5 from Tyre Track 1 year + ago.

just went back for pit stop for PS4 this time. 

Was trying to avoid non essential stuff during CB. So held off changing the tyre.
Then kana my accident, went to pick up my car yesterday. The repair workshop mechanic gave me a lecture on changing the tyre (after seeing the side wall shred). :mellow:

Called up Tyre track. Quote same as Arrow, 155/pc for 225/50/17. Will go down.

Meanwhile i mentioned elsewhere that I've been hearing a right sided braking squeal for last 1-2 years. Also was put off till next servicing to get it looked at. But somehow it disappeared after the accident and whatever they did to the car. The mechanic sat in while we drove around, he say seems fine for now. [:p]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

AYSM 5?? machiam lelong price. lol damn cheap now

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Was trying to avoid non essential stuff during CB. So held off changing the tyre.
Then kana my accident, went to pick up my car yesterday. The repair workshop mechanic gave me a lecture on changing the tyre (after seeing the side wall shred). :mellow:

Meanwhile i mentioned elsewhere that I've been hearing a right sided braking squeal for last 1-2 years. Also was put off till next servicing to get it looked at. But somehow it disappeared after the accident and whatever they did to the car. The mechanic sat in while we drove around, he say seems fine for now. [:p]

some people would consider tyres to be an essential safety item. In this case however, it did not contribute to your accident (being rear-ended).

• Praise 1

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

some people would consider tyres to be an essential safety item. In this case however, it did not contribute to your accident (being rear-ended).

Yes it's essential. But procrastination happens to the best of us. And I didn't want to be stuck in quarantine cos I have to sit at the tyre shop and shop guy has covid. 

At work I'm white listed. Go out dabao the interaction is minimal. 

My friends relative got quarantined cos they bought bread from a cashier who had covid... 

Anyway time to beat procrastination. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

been to TyreTrack and Arrow before. if price same same, prefer TyreTrack cos they have the equipment to hoist up the car to change all 4 at the same time. 

not a fan of workshops using portable jacks to change tyres. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
11 hours ago, Blueray said:

been to TyreTrack and Arrow before. if price same same, prefer TyreTrack cos they have the equipment to hoist up the car to change all 4 at the same time. 

not a fan of workshops using portable jacks to change tyres

one comment from me about arrow. went to change battery with them some years back. the mech wanted to change the battery with the engine on. for me thats a no no. kept persuading me to do so, so as to preserve the radio memory etc. in the end, battery changed with engine off cause they also refused to do a standby battery. anyway last time i go there for battery change.

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Blueray said:

not a fan of workshops using portable jacks to change tyres

why leh?? its the same ma?

Twincharged
2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

maybe i am also ngiao. typically shops using portable jacks will not use jack pads. it will be metal on metal when jacking. i have only see South east Tyre at both marine parade and Kaki bukit use rubber jack pads to protect the chassis rails during jacking.

with the hoist, typically they come with jack pads.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

maybe i am also ngiao. typically shops using portable jacks will not use jack pads. it will be metal on metal when jacking. i have only see South east Tyre at both marine parade and Kaki bukit use rubber jack pads to protect the chassis rails during jacking.

with the hoist, typically they come with jack pads.

jacking spot for most car actually dun need a rubber pad.

esp for conti like bmw and benz, they got a specially make  jacking spot its very tough.

honda suzuki also got 4 tough jacking spot, wont need rubber pad.

toyota 1 is the weakest i know of. 

but of course if u see some use rubber pad and some dun, u confirm feel better with the shop that use it.😁

• Praise 1

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Beregond said:

just me lor. nowadays more and more workshops have hoist so if price is the same, prefer to go for workshops with hoist.

years back at Arrow, my car was jacked up using the portable jacks. and some guys doing telesales walked over started to chat with ah bao and one of the telesales guy was bored and went to one of the jacks and started touching the handle. 

I had to keep a very close eye on him as I did not want my car dropping down and crushing his feet at the same time. 

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 2

Ok. A MCF bro asked me to check Soh tyres pricing. So i checked. 155/pc nett for all 3 i compared here in the north.
So will go the most convenient one for me.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys need suggestion here.. I'm using Ps4 215/50/17 now. Should I go for 225/50/17 or 215/45/17 for F1A5? Price diff by 30 bucks each. Dilemma.. 

↡ Advertisement