Should dashcams be made illegal in SG too?

Mr_b20

For discussion.

In many countries in Europe it's already banned.

At least it should not be legal to post videos freely on social media, except for traffic accident legal proceedings.

But here, everyday we see so many nonsense videos posted on social media, number plates, faces and all, for the most trivial stuff.

Shaming each other, CSI and turning people's life upside down, making them jobless etc etc, has become like an entertainment for so many in SG.

Like they say, sinkie pwn sinkie, can sleep well tonight!

Austria

Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping €10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined €25,000. In fact, it’s not even legal to own a dash cam. Be sure to leave yours behind if you’re planning to head there on your trip.

Belgium

Belgium is a lot more relaxed than Austria on the issue. You can both own and use one, but only for ‘private use’. What that means to drivers is that if you’re involved in an incident you’ll need to inform all other parties before submitting the footage as evidence.

France

French dash cam laws are largely similar to those in the UK, in that there are rules on where dash cams can be placed within the vehicle: it cannot obstruct the driver’s view. Like its smaller neighbour Belgium, France also restricts dash cams to ‘private use’ – in this case, that means that you can’t upload the footage to the internet. If you record any evidence, make sure that it goes directly to the police.

Germany

Germany may be famed for its delimited ‘autobahn’ that lets motorists largely speed at will, but it has still seen fit to place some restrictions on dash cam usage. Like France and the UK, it must be placed so as not to obstruct the driver’s view. In compliance with the country’s strict privacy laws, any footage shared publicly must have faces and number plates obscured (in fact, ideally they should not be recorded at all).

Luxembourg

Head south from Belgium, and the rules don’t change all that much. While at least owning a dash cam is allowed in Luxembourg, using one is still totally illegal. Make sure it stays in the glovebox for the duration of your time there.

Norway

Norway is probably the mainland European nation with rules most similar to the UK’s. Its only regulation on dash cams is that it’s installed out of the way of the driver’s view.

Portugal

It may be totally legal to use a dash cam on your drive through Spain to get there, but once you arrive in Portugal it is neither legal to own nor use a dash cam, so leave yours at home if you’ll be driving there.

Switzerland

Saving the most complex for last, dash cam usage is a very muddy area in Switzerland. While they’re legal in theory, it’s all but impossible to get any use out of them while still obeying strict Swiss data protection laws. For a start, they can never just be used for entertainment or documenting a journey – there has to be a legal purpose to recording. Then they must conform to the Swiss ‘principal of transparency’: it needs to be obvious that those being recorded are being recorded. As dash cams are discreet by nature, and other drivers are usually only aware of their existence after an accident occurs, that’s a box likely to remain unticked.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

What about fraudulent car insurance claims? Ever consider it?

Having a dashcam means a protection against such claims.

I think it's difficult to stop ppl from posting videos of reckless driving on social media. Given the way some ppl drive. But if you have nothing to hide why do you want it to be banned?

angmo have their angmo rights stuff and issue ma.

we different.

u dun behave/ drive like an as-h--- , so what if there are cams every where.

• Praise 1

For discussion.

In many countries in Europe it's already banned.

At least it should not be legal to post videos freely on social media, except for traffic accident legal proceedings.

But here, everyday we see so many nonsense videos posted on social media, number plates, faces and all, for the most trivial stuff.

Shaming each other, CSI and turning people's life upside down, making them jobless etc etc, has become like an entertainment for so many in SG.

Like they say, sinkie pwn sinkie, can sleep well tonight!

Austria

Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping €10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined €25,000. In fact, it’s not even legal to own a dash cam. Be sure to leave yours behind if you’re planning to head there on your trip.

Belgium

Belgium is a lot more relaxed than Austria on the issue. You can both own and use one, but only for ‘private use’. What that means to drivers is that if you’re involved in an incident you’ll need to inform all other parties before submitting the footage as evidence.

France

French dash cam laws are largely similar to those in the UK, in that there are rules on where dash cams can be placed within the vehicle: it cannot obstruct the driver’s view. Like its smaller neighbour Belgium, France also restricts dash cams to ‘private use’ – in this case, that means that you can’t upload the footage to the internet. If you record any evidence, make sure that it goes directly to the police.

Germany

Germany may be famed for its delimited ‘autobahn’ that lets motorists largely speed at will, but it has still seen fit to place some restrictions on dash cam usage. Like France and the UK, it must be placed so as not to obstruct the driver’s view. In compliance with the country’s strict privacy laws, any footage shared publicly must have faces and number plates obscured (in fact, ideally they should not be recorded at all).

Luxembourg

Head south from Belgium, and the rules don’t change all that much. While at least owning a dash cam is allowed in Luxembourg, using one is still totally illegal. Make sure it stays in the glovebox for the duration of your time there.

Norway

Norway is probably the mainland European nation with rules most similar to the UK’s. Its only regulation on dash cams is that it’s installed out of the way of the driver’s view.

Portugal

It may be totally legal to use a dash cam on your drive through Spain to get there, but once you arrive in Portugal it is neither legal to own nor use a dash cam, so leave yours at home if you’ll be driving there.

Switzerland

Saving the most complex for last, dash cam usage is a very muddy area in Switzerland. While they’re legal in theory, it’s all but impossible to get any use out of them while still obeying strict Swiss data protection laws. For a start, they can never just be used for entertainment or documenting a journey – there has to be a legal purpose to recording. Then they must conform to the Swiss ‘principal of transparency’: it needs to be obvious that those being recorded are being recorded. As dash cams are discreet by nature, and other drivers are usually only aware of their existence after an accident occurs, that’s a box likely to remain unticked.

Still 100% Legal here in South Africa. Actually recommended to have with the way some of the guys drive here.

• Praise 5

There are instances that dash cam takes more dan reckless driving.

Especially perverts.

flashmain.jpg?itok=q4NfNvsA

Ban smartphones with cameras too cos it's invading women privacy/modesty.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

I think the EU leads the way when it comes to privacy and privacy on the internet.  I think that's a great thing.

But I'm surprised certain countries outright ban dashcams - how is having a dashcam different from having camera phones?  (As far as I know) they don't have rules around the average person taking videos or pictures?

When I take a video from my phone, it's naturally going to capture people or things that I don't have permission for.  It's difficult to get consistency in all situations, but I personally think it's a silly rule. 

To be fair though, drivers in Europe are FAR, FAR more considerate than drivers in Asia and Singapore.  Over there, people generally use the indicator, and other motorists usually give way to other motorists space (unlike in SG where the indicator seems like a sign of weakness, and the other motorists must speed up to prevent losing your spot on the road...) 

• Praise 2

Dash cam have proven very useful to me when I am involved in a chain collision about 3 years back. And even with Full HD video footage presented to my lawyer, insurer(s) and the other relevant parties, the insurance company I am claiming damaged from still have the cheek to ask me to bare up to 30 - 40% liability, although the video evidence shows otherwise (lucky I insisted NO all the way, and challenge to go to court, and I won). I cannot imagine if dash cam is banned!! [shakehead]  [dead]  [dead]

Ever since this accident, I have been advocating all my friends / vehicle owners to have one installed in their car, and now we are asking should it be banned?? OK, I do agree that privacy IS a concern, but that is a separate matter. That should be taken care by PDPA to be precise. In fact, I am looking at our TP / LTA to make dash cam compulsory for all vehicles roaming on our road, including those driving from across the causeway. Don't have one, can rent at custom... (business opportunity for some, maybe)

• Praise 12

I have disdain towards dashcams, but different from TS reasons.

The importance placed on dashcams in SG road culture has created some kiasu-ism i.e. which dashcam got best quality, most HD etc. 

Then need to consider whether want parking mode or 24/7 recording, which means need to consider additional battery pack.

And of course need to worry about whether your memory card can handle all that recording.

All this is huat ah if you are dashcam seller or selling related accessories.

For the rest, it is just extra headache and money out of pocket.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 2

I have disdain towards dashcams, but different from TS reasons.

The importance placed on dashcams in SG road culture has created some kiasu-ism i.e. which dashcam got best quality, most HD etc. 

Then need to consider whether want parking mode or 24/7 recording, which means need to consider additional battery pack.

And of course need to worry about whether your memory card can handle all that recording.

All this is huat ah if you are dashcam seller or selling related accessories.

For the rest, it is just extra headache and money out of pocket.

Your reasoning is even more ridiculous.

You know no one is forcing you to buy right? If you really think it is an extra headache and waste of money, then don't buy lor.

Dash cam have proven very useful to me when I am involved in a chain collision about 3 years back. And even with Full HD video footage presented to my lawyer, insurer(s) and the other relevant parties, the insurance company I am claiming damaged from still have the cheek to ask me to bare up to 30 - 40% liability, although the video evidence shows otherwise (lucky I insisted NO all the way, and challenge to go to court, and I won). I cannot imagine if dash cam is banned!! [shakehead]  [dead]  [dead]

Ever since this accident, I have been advocating all my friends / vehicle owners to have one installed in their car, and now we are asking should it be banned?? OK, I do agree that privacy IS a concern, but that is a separate matter. That should be taken care by PDPA to be precise. In fact, I am looking at our TP / LTA to make dash cam compulsory for all vehicles roaming on our road, including those driving from across the causeway. Don't have one, can rent at custom... (business opportunity for some, maybe)

There can be no expectation of privacy in public.

Govt already put cameras everywhere too. 

• Praise 1