Should dashcams be made illegal in SG too?

Mr_b20

I have disdain towards dashcams, but different from TS reasons.

The importance placed on dashcams in SG road culture has created some kiasu-ism i.e. which dashcam got best quality, most HD etc.

Then need to consider whether want parking mode or 24/7 recording, which means need to consider additional battery pack.

And of course need to worry about whether your memory card can handle all that recording.

All this is huat ah if you are dashcam seller or selling related accessories.

For the rest, it is just extra headache and money out of pocket.

This is the same for everything, people talk about features and functionality, be it useful or irrelevant etc when buying every products from mobilepohoe to TV to refrigerator , so there is nothing wrong with that.
↡ Advertisement

In my heart.

In my head I am still kiasu and kiasi, so I will guai guai buy.

Your reasoning is even more ridiculous.

You know no one is forcing you to buy right? If you really think it is an extra headache and waste of money, then don't buy lor.

• Praise 1

What if I put my phone to record mode and use it just like a dashcam (I have never tried).

That was what I did with an old phone when the price of dashcam is way too expensive during the initial days.

The only troublesome part is having to mount and dismount it.

• Praise 2

I have been using dash cam for more than 10 years liao. Captured quite a few accidents and successfully claimed the other party. It just saved me another claim just one week ago!!!

It's a must have, IMO.

• Praise 7

Nothing wrong of course. Imo it is one of those things like buying insurance - only when things happen to you then you will thank the heavens that you had dashcam!

Imo a car owner would rather spend their money on what might say are trivial things like RICE and other cosmetic upgrades than worry about buying the highest spec dashcam.

This is the same for everything, people talk about features and functionality, be it useful or irrelevant etc when buying every products from mobilepohoe to TV to refrigerator , so there is nothing wrong with that.

Dash cams are one of the best devices to capture instances of an accident of your car and serve as a concise and valid evidence to claim insurance, especially from fraudulent insurers and irresponsible parties involved in the accident.

It also serves as a deterrence of car thefts and related crimes and provide evidence of such kind of crimes. Even the police has put up signs in many public car Parks indicating dash cams to fight these crimes.

So why are we not encouraging the use of it ? If privacy is such a concern, then the first thing to remove are all the cameras on the streets. They are even more invading.

• Praise 3

frankly speaking if now dash cam is not so popular,

i will anyhow drive  :omg:

i will anyhow taunt road users :a-fun:

i will drive like a chow old ah beng  :yuush:

so i prefer to have the culture like now, forcea me to be more tamed [angel]

• Praise 2

all ang mo country, why everything must follow ang mo?

Because being kaypoh (a lot of dashcam footage is just kaypoh kpkb) is one of the most unlovely stereotypically Asian traits. Nothing to be proud of.

Where ang moh practices are good we should follow.

Otherwise why even vote? Why not have a president for life like Xinnie the Pooh?

For discussion.

In many countries in Europe it's already banned.

At least it should not be legal to post videos freely on social media, except for traffic accident legal proceedings.

But here, everyday we see so many nonsense videos posted on social media, number plates, faces and all, for the most trivial stuff.

Shaming each other, CSI and turning people's life upside down, making them jobless etc etc, has become like an entertainment for so many in SG.

Like they say, sinkie pwn sinkie, can sleep well tonight!

Austria

Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping â¬10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined â¬25,000. In fact, itâs not even legal to own a dash cam. Be sure to leave yours behind if youâre planning to head there on your trip.

Belgium

Belgium is a lot more relaxed than Austria on the issue. You can both own and use one, but only for âprivate useâ. What that means to drivers is that if youâre involved in an incident youâll need to inform all other parties before submitting the footage as evidence.

France

French dash cam laws are largely similar to those in the UK, in that there are rules on where dash cams can be placed within the vehicle: it cannot obstruct the driverâs view. Like its smaller neighbour Belgium, France also restricts dash cams to âprivate useâ â in this case, that means that you canât upload the footage to the internet. If you record any evidence, make sure that it goes directly to the police.

Germany

Germany may be famed for its delimited âautobahnâ that lets motorists largely speed at will, but it has still seen fit to place some restrictions on dash cam usage. Like France and the UK, it must be placed so as not to obstruct the driverâs view. In compliance with the countryâs strict privacy laws, any footage shared publicly must have faces and number plates obscured (in fact, ideally they should not be recorded at all).

Luxembourg

Head south from Belgium, and the rules donât change all that much. While at least owning a dash cam is allowed in Luxembourg, using one is still totally illegal. Make sure it stays in the glovebox for the duration of your time there.

Norway

Norway is probably the mainland European nation with rules most similar to the UKâs. Its only regulation on dash cams is that itâs installed out of the way of the driverâs view.

Portugal

It may be totally legal to use a dash cam on your drive through Spain to get there, but once you arrive in Portugal it is neither legal to own nor use a dash cam, so leave yours at home if youâll be driving there.

Switzerland

Saving the most complex for last, dash cam usage is a very muddy area in Switzerland. While theyâre legal in theory, itâs all but impossible to get any use out of them while still obeying strict Swiss data protection laws. For a start, they can never just be used for entertainment or documenting a journey â there has to be a legal purpose to recording. Then they must conform to the Swiss âprincipal of transparencyâ: it needs to be obvious that those being recorded are being recorded. As dash cams are discreet by nature, and other drivers are usually only aware of their existence after an accident occurs, thatâs a box likely to remain unticked.

My stance:

Allow dashcams, but ban the public posting of footage.

Footage is only usable for insurance claims and confidential police reporting.

No more social media keyboard warriors please. It's a disease of the mind.

• Praise 4

Because being kaypoh (a lot of dashcam footage is just kaypoh kpkb) is one of the most unlovely stereotypically Asian traits. Nothing to be proud of.

Where ang moh practices are good we should follow.

Otherwise why even vote? Why not have a president for life like Xinnie the Pooh?

My stance:

Allow dashcams, but ban the public posting of footage.

Footage is only usable for insurance claims and confidential police reporting.

No more social media keyboard warriors please. It's a disease of the mind.

Precisely.

The invention of dashcam is good, it's meant for accident recording, just like the aircraft's blackbox.

But people abuse it so easily;

Others make a mistake : post and shame him!

Others drive faster than me : post and shame him!

Others block me: post and shame him!

Others cut me off: post and shame him!

Others bruised my ego: post and shame him 9696!!!

• Praise 6

Pretty sure they're legal in:

China

UK (f.y.i the U.K has the biggest number of CCTVs of any country)

U.S.

Malaysia

Indonesia

Thailand

Philippines

India

Good enough for our gah-ment!

Edited by DK3410
  • Praise 1

I enjoy watching accident footages as they let me know how accidents occurred so that I will be more careful when I'm in similar situations.

• Praise 3

dashcam is good, it just that by have it on our car, they can capture it on file, those will think they are the Tp/LTA, will think, must share. i even see a post about tail light blow they also share.....

Edited by RickWong

Europeans are Honest [:)] ,Accident,wrong will admit fault [bigcry] ,not like S'pore,wrong still want to argue [furious] .Anyway Cars are cheap in Europe....so they don't treat their Cars like how we do..

I enjoy watching accident footages as they let me know how accidents occurred so that I will be more careful when I'm in similar situations.

Ya, can learn many things from these videos. 

When the prices of cars in those countries that ban dashcams are of the same level as our prices, then I will consider doing the same as them.

• Praise 1

Also to avoid accident scams where the dodgy individual drapes himself across your bonnet. Without a dash camera it is your words against the nutter's. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1