Should dashcams be made illegal in SG too?

Mr_b20

Don't let our scholars see this, they will copy and implement new law.

If continue go down this path, in future everything that got to do with technology will get banned. End up we will be moving backwards in terms of technological advancement.

There can be no expectation of privacy in public.

Govt already put cameras everywhere too. 

All in the name of security and protection. Some parts of China even worse.. The whole city has facial recognition technology.. Go toilet also pple will know.. Jialat... :scared:  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 3

Why are they banned in those countries?  What are the justifications for banning in each of those countries?

The discussion should be on those justifications, whether they would apply locally.

For discussion.

In many countries in Europe it's already banned.
At least it should not be legal to post videos freely on social media, except for traffic accident legal proceedings.

But here, everyday we see so many nonsense videos posted on social media, number plates, faces and all, for the most trivial stuff.
Shaming each other, CSI and turning people's life upside down, making them jobless etc etc, has become like an entertainment for so many in SG.

Like they say, sinkie pwn sinkie, can sleep well tonight!

Austria
Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping €10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined €25,000. In fact, it’s not even legal to own a dash cam. Be sure to leave yours behind if you’re planning to head there on your trip.

Belgium
Belgium is a lot more relaxed than Austria on the issue. You can both own and use one, but only for ‘private use’. What that means to drivers is that if you’re involved in an incident you’ll need to inform all other parties before submitting the footage as evidence.

France
French dash cam laws are largely similar to those in the UK, in that there are rules on where dash cams can be placed within the vehicle: it cannot obstruct the driver’s view. Like its smaller neighbour Belgium, France also restricts dash cams to ‘private use’ – in this case, that means that you can’t upload the footage to the internet. If you record any evidence, make sure that it goes directly to the police.

Germany
Germany may be famed for its delimited ‘autobahn’ that lets motorists largely speed at will, but it has still seen fit to place some restrictions on dash cam usage. Like France and the UK, it must be placed so as not to obstruct the driver’s view. In compliance with the country’s strict privacy laws, any footage shared publicly must have faces and number plates obscured (in fact, ideally they should not be recorded at all).

Luxembourg
Head south from Belgium, and the rules don’t change all that much. While at least owning a dash cam is allowed in Luxembourg, using one is still totally illegal. Make sure it stays in the glovebox for the duration of your time there.

Norway
Norway is probably the mainland European nation with rules most similar to the UK’s. Its only regulation on dash cams is that it’s installed out of the way of the driver’s view.

Portugal
It may be totally legal to use a dash cam on your drive through Spain to get there, but once you arrive in Portugal it is neither legal to own nor use a dash cam, so leave yours at home if you’ll be driving there.

Switzerland
Saving the most complex for last, dash cam usage is a very muddy area in Switzerland. While they’re legal in theory, it’s all but impossible to get any use out of them while still obeying strict Swiss data protection laws. For a start, they can never just be used for entertainment or documenting a journey – there has to be a legal purpose to recording. Then they must conform to the Swiss ‘principal of transparency’: it needs to be obvious that those being recorded are being recorded. As dash cams are discreet by nature, and other drivers are usually only aware of their existence after an accident occurs, that’s a box likely to remain unticked.

• Praise 1

There can be no expectation of privacy in public.

Govt already put cameras everywhere too. 

I think the above is not entirely true.

Try publishing a photo in a book, of someone's face clearly recognisable in a public place, and that person can use PDPA against the one who published the book hor...

Precisely.

The invention of dashcam is good, it's meant for accident recording, just like the aircraft's blackbox.

But people abuse it so easily;

Others make a mistake : post and shame him!

Others drive faster than me : post and shame him!

Others block me: post and shame him!

Others cut me off: post and shame him!

Others bruised my ego: post and shame him 9696!!!

What you said reminded me of the famous alfred nobel, who lamented that his invention of dynamite, originally meant to help in works like mining, was later re-purposed into mass-killing ammunition...

good invention turned bad...

• Praise 2

I support the use of dashcam as I was the victim of 4 hit & runs and 2 near misses where the other driver tried to play punk until i mentioned I have a front and back dashcam.

It is really a lesser of 2 evils but looking at the way people drive and the incidents I've been in, I will petition if one day there is a decision where having a dashcam is an infringement of privacy.

lol why is this even up for discussion.

But seriously, i agree with someone's earlier posting.

I've learnt more about how accidents happen since i start watching such accidents.

I guess when inside the car, it just becomes your own space. It's literally your body bumping against other people.

You don't actually have an observer sense of what happened. Especially when it involves pedestrians and behaviour at junctions et etc.

While it is cheap voyeurism at times watching dashcam videos, i think there are positives to be taken out of it.

In SG we live in a Name and Shame culture that’s why stomps n etc are striving

there is a saying, if u walk n stand straight.

u dun need scare your shadow is slanted. [sly]

In SG we live in a Name and Shame culture thatâs why stomps n etc are striving

only in Singapore? millions of such video from all over the world.

Don't let our scholars see this, they will copy and implement new law.

No problem. :we-all-gonna-die:

If they insist on removing dash cams, tell them that I am playing my part in SGSecure:yuush:

Video evident is for them ....   :secret-laugh:

Dash cam have proven very useful to me when I am involved in a chain collision about 3 years back. And even with Full HD video footage presented to my lawyer, insurer(s) and the other relevant parties, the insurance company I am claiming damaged from still have the cheek to ask me to bare up to 30 - 40% liability, although the video evidence shows otherwise (lucky I insisted NO all the way, and challenge to go to court, and I won). I cannot imagine if dash cam is banned!! [shakehead]  [dead]  [dead]

Ever since this accident, I have been advocating all my friends / vehicle owners to have one installed in their car, and now we are asking should it be banned?? OK, I do agree that privacy IS a concern, but that is a separate matter. That should be taken care by PDPA to be precise. In fact, I am looking at our TP / LTA to make dash cam compulsory for all vehicles roaming on our road, including those driving from across the causeway. Don't have one, can rent at custom... (business opportunity for some, maybe)

I got a question.

Friend of mine got involve in a chain collision and he was the 2nd car. The 4th car is the main trigger for it. My friend car lightly knocked an LCR car in front and the damages is only a slight dent.

The claims from the 1st car is $16,000!!!!!

Anywhere to report for this kind of fraudulent claims?

Just remember that the authorities are also actively leveraging on dashcams in multistory carparks by putting up signs that the premises are guarded by dashcams. A ban would be contradictory to their support for their use for security purposes.

• Praise 3

only in Singapore? millions of such video from all over the world.

Esp Russia and Oz is catching on. The Aussies even made a weekly documentary for all these dashcam videos on Discovery channel. Very entertaining and informative.

↡ Advertisement