Progress Singapore Party by Tan Cheng Bock

Atrecord

Hypersonic

alamak...for a while i was happy when i thought i read party lunch

why no free chicken rice or shark fin soup?

:D 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Tan Cheng Bock says new party will be 'unifying alternative' for Singapore

tan-cheng-bock--1-.jpg

tan-cheng-bock-new-shots.jpg

SINGAPORE: There has been an “erosion” of transparency, independence and accountability within the Government, said Dr Tan Cheng Bock on Friday (Jul 26), explaining the reasons behind his decision to set up a new political party.

“I believe the processes of good governance have gone astray,” said Dr Tan, the secretary-general of the new Progress Singapore Party (PSP), at a press conference held at Swissotel Merchant Court on Friday.

“I worry because I see the foundations of good governance eroding. Specifically, there is an erosion of transparency, independence and accountability.

“I worry because I see the foundations of good governance eroding. Specifically, there is an erosion of transparency, independence and accountability.

Dr Tan had announced his return to politics earlier this year, filing an application with the Registry of Societies to form a new political party on Jan 16. His party was officially registered at the end of March.

A People's Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament for 26 years, Dr Tan ran for President in 2011 and narrowly lost to Dr Tony Tan.

In March 2016, Dr Tan announced his intention to run again. But he was unable to do so as the next election was reserved for Malay candidates, following changes to the Constitution that stated that if there is no President from a particular racial community for five consecutive terms, the next term will be reserved for a President from that community.

Dr Tan had also mounted a legal challenge to the reserved election. The Court of Appeal dismissed his application.

Also present at the press conference alongside Dr Tan were other members of the party’s central executive committee, namely chairman Wang Swee Chuang, assistant secretary-general Anthony Lee, treasurer S Nallakaruppan, assistant treasurer Hazel Poa, as well as members Abdul Rahman Mohamad and member Michelle Lee.

QUESTIONS ON POLICY

During the press conference’s question and answer segment, Dr Tan declined to go into further details on specific policy proposals which will be put forth by the PSP. But he said that a “broad picture” would be given by the party during their official public launch on Aug 3 at the same venue.

“We will not reveal all, that is the strategy,” he said in response to a question from CNA. “If I told the whole world what I want to do, the PAP will know everything so I have to keep some issues close to my heart and we’ll reveal it as close when the GE comes.

“But at the launch, we'll give you a broad picture of what we intend to do.”

A ‘LOOSE’ ALLIANCE

Dr Tan added that he would also be open to working with other opposition parties to form a “loose alliance”.

Said Dr Tan: “We are new but that does not mean that I cannot work with them. I would like to work with SDP (Singapore Democratic Party), with Workers' Party and with all the other smaller parties. In fact, that’s my intention.

“I’ve been approached by many of them ... whether I can take the lead to form a very loose alliance so that we can, when we come to the general election ... be a much bigger force to challenge the PAP.

“And that’s our intention. It’s difficult, there’s a lot of personalities involved, but it’s not impossible. I hope that I can convince all of them to come together.”

In doing so, the PSP will hope to avoid three-cornered fights in the next General Election, which is due by early 2021.

“We definitely want to avoid three-cornered fights, that is quite obvious. So we have to do a lot of discussions, a lot of deliberations between all the political parties.”

Ultimately, the PSP hopes to serve as a “unifying catalyst”, said Dr Tan, adding that he wants "to bring people together, from all corners of society, working towards a better system for Singapore, united by a common cause - the love of our country and our fellow countrymen and women.”

• Praise 4

Tan Cheng Bock says new party will be 'unifying alternative' for Singapore

tan-cheng-bock--1-.jpg

tan-cheng-bock-new-shots.jpg

SINGAPORE: There has been an “erosion” of transparency, independence and accountability within the Government, said Dr Tan Cheng Bock on Friday (Jul 26), explaining the reasons behind his decision to set up a new political party.

“I believe the processes of good governance have gone astray,” said Dr Tan, the secretary-general of the new Progress Singapore Party (PSP), at a press conference held at Swissotel Merchant Court on Friday.

Dr Tan had announced his return to politics earlier this year, filing an application with the Registry of Societies to form a new political party on Jan 16. His party was officially registered at the end of March.

A People's Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament for 26 years, Dr Tan ran for President in 2011 and narrowly lost to Dr Tony Tan.

In March 2016, Dr Tan announced his intention to run again. But he was unable to do so as the next election was reserved for Malay candidates, following changes to the Constitution that stated that if there is no President from a particular racial community for five consecutive terms, the next term will be reserved for a President from that community.

Dr Tan had also mounted a legal challenge to the reserved election. The Court of Appeal dismissed his application.

Also present at the press conference alongside Dr Tan were other members of the party’s central executive committee, namely chairman Wang Swee Chuang, assistant secretary-general Anthony Lee, treasurer S Nallakaruppan, assistant treasurer Hazel Poa, as well as members Abdul Rahman Mohamad and member Michelle Lee.

QUESTIONS ON POLICY

During the press conference’s question and answer segment, Dr Tan declined to go into further details on specific policy proposals which will be put forth by the PSP. But he said that a “broad picture” would be given by the party during their official public launch on Aug 3 at the same venue.

“We will not reveal all, that is the strategy,” he said in response to a question from CNA. “If I told the whole world what I want to do, the PAP will know everything so I have to keep some issues close to my heart and we’ll reveal it as close when the GE comes.

“But at the launch, we'll give you a broad picture of what we intend to do.”

A ‘LOOSE’ ALLIANCE

Dr Tan added that he would also be open to working with other opposition parties to form a “loose alliance”.

Said Dr Tan: “We are new but that does not mean that I cannot work with them. I would like to work with SDP (Singapore Democratic Party), with Workers' Party and with all the other smaller parties. In fact, that’s my intention.

“I’ve been approached by many of them ... whether I can take the lead to form a very loose alliance so that we can, when we come to the general election ... be a much bigger force to challenge the PAP.

“And that’s our intention. It’s difficult, there’s a lot of personalities involved, but it’s not impossible. I hope that I can convince all of them to come together.”

In doing so, the PSP will hope to avoid three-cornered fights in the next General Election, which is due by early 2021.

“We definitely want to avoid three-cornered fights, that is quite obvious. So we have to do a lot of discussions, a lot of deliberations between all the political parties.”

Ultimately, the PSP hopes to serve as a “unifying catalyst”, said Dr Tan, adding that he wants "to bring people together, from all corners of society, working towards a better system for Singapore, united by a common cause - the love of our country and our fellow countrymen and women.”

Really irritating like fxxk that CNA Leeporter...

CCB CNA..

• Praise 7

Hypersonic

Hope people will give him a chance. If he come MPTC, sure vote for him. Hell, have been voting for opposition the past 2 GE liao. NSP and WP.

At his age, what does he want to fight for? I am sure he see the current state and feel disheartened.

With his wealth, he can take life easy for retirement. Why need to do all this?

• Praise 2

Finally...

66772906_2806246719404275_56062873190373

Who design the logo for them?

I like Dr Tan for his perseverance and the gumption in him.

But seeing the logo reminds me of Brazilian Carnival. 

iris1.jpg

• Praise 2

Hope people will give him a chance. If he come MPTC, sure vote for him. Hell, have been voting for opposition the past 2 GE liao. NSP and WP.

At his age, what does he want to fight for? I am sure he see the current state and feel disheartened.

Don vote for NSP lah, its a fake oppo party, 50% are fakes now, between fakes and PAP, vote for PAP.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Don vote for NSP lah, its a fake oppo party, 50% are fakes now, between fakes and PAP, vote for PAP.

Why should I vote for PAP? I rather void it. Voting for them mean I support what they are doing but I don’t.

Oppo put a Honda Asimo, I also vote for it.

What has YOUR PAP MP done for you?

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Why should I vote for PAP? I rather void it. Voting for them mean I support what they are doing but I donât.

Dont void your vote, your vote is precious and important.
  • Praise 3

Why should I vote for PAP? I rather void it. Voting for them mean I support what they are doing but I don’t.

Increased tax, increased cost of living, bring in more foreigners.

Allowed PMD to travel recklessly with minimal enforcement.........

Others I lazy to type Liao

• Praise 12

Hypersonic

Dont void your vote, your vote is precious and important.

Dont worry, won't void it.

Any oppo put the late Ah Meng, I also vote for it.

• Praise 2

I think you mean MPGRC. After winning the GRC then can manage the TC! [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

I think you mean MPGRC. After winning the GRC then can manage the TC! [thumbsup]

Sorry too agitated...haha.

Yes I mean MP GRC.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Too late guys..m sure lhl did his homework...from now till polling day..just convert 20k immigrants into new citizens everyday...he shure stay in power lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1