Progress Singapore Party by Tan Cheng Bock

Atrecord

Not said rude. But more like differ ideas but trying to force upon others.

Kinda sad life i tink.

Seriously , the PM is essay like , but started off with a "stupid" & ended with it again.

A pretty hardcore supporter , mindset is firm that no other party is worthy.

Too bad, i still believe, if u don't try u never know. At the very least , respect each individual's belief.

yeah he back to it again ... he cant resist.

Oh so he is the guy sending private messages when he don't like what was said and calling others stupid. Hmmmm hooe he grows up soon 

Seriously , the PM is essay like , but started off with a "stupid" & ended with it again.

A pretty hardcore supporter , mindset is firm that no other party is worthy.

Too bad, i still believe, if u don't try u never know. At the very least , respect each individual's belief.

welcome to the club ... maybe can print souvenir t shirts liao  :a-happy:

Those who eager to whack and blame pap are themselves rather arrogant, complacent and cannot take criticisms.

Considering that most in this forum are older working adults, what does that say about the mental qualities of those who actively oppose the govt?

Here are the eight "C"s of those anti-pap haters:

Complainers, CB Mouths, talkCork, Conceited, Crybabies, Complacent, Cynical, Cowards.

Not i say one.

But any truth in this???

Lol

• Dislike 1

Tan Cheng Bock once again echoes for people to fight their fears, to “use fear as the reason to come out” and join him

XGgSSez.jpg

After his trip to Facebook, Dr Tan captioned his post asking members of the public, “Now tell us, what would you do if you weren’t afraid?”

Earlier today, during a trip to the headquarters of Facebook in Singapore, Dr Tan and his Central Executive Committee (CEC) members rather pointedly took photos in front of a wall that had the words, ‘What would you do if you weren’t afraid?’.

This sentiment that people are afraid to join him and his team is one that Dr Tan has echoed during his public speeches.

During the Progress Singapore Party (PSP)’s National Day dinner on Sunday (August 25), party founder and Secretary-General Dr Tan Cheng Bock gave a rousing speech calling for Singaporeans to come join him.

During his speech, 79-year old Dr Tan urged people to get involved in the scheme of things, and to understand the importance of their involvement.

However, he added that amongst them, “for some of them, fear has stopped them from coming forward to join” him.

But he exclaimed, “use fear as the reason to come out”.

“You have that moral duty to ensure that your children don’t experience the kind of fear that you are experiencing now. It’s your duty to change that. And if you’re not prepared to change that, then I’m sorry for this country” he said.

After his trip to Facebook, Dr Tan captioned his post asking members of the public, “Now tell us, what would you do if you weren’t afraid?”.

Making use of the trope of fear, during the public launch of his party (August 3), the founder of PSP broke down and told the crowd that one of his greatest fears was the collapse of the party should he no longer be around.

He said, “This fear was one of the considerations that held me back from forming a political party. But what has happened is that many men and women came forward to join me. They wanted to build a stronger Singapore. Their presence gave me hope and confidence”.

He added that it is because of the people who joined him that, “I realize that I do not fear anymore”.

Similarly, that day, Dr Tan urged attendees to be unafraid, saying, “We are starting an evolution of change, not a revolution”.

• Praise 8

https://wakeupsg.com/2019/09/06/how-macritchie-reservoir-used-to-be-in-tanjong-pagar-grc/

The electoral boundaries committee has been set up, said the Elections Department on Wednesday (Sept 4).

What is the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee?

The Electoral Boundaries Review Committee (EBRC) is responsible for reviewing and redrawing electoral boundaries ahead of General Elections (GE). These electoral boundaries will subsequently determine where political candidates can run, and how many. Traditionally, the formation of the EBRC has been seen as a precursor to a GE.

The EBRC is appointed by the Prime Minister, who sets its guidelines or terms of reference. In its media release, the Elections Department said the committee has been directed to further reduce the average size of the Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) and to have more than the current 13 Single Member Constituencies (SMCs).

Why is the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee so controversial?

In recent decades, critics have accused the ruling PAP of unfair electoral practices to maintain its significant parliamentary majority. Among the complaints are that the government uses gerrymandering.

The Elections Department is established as part of the executive branch under the Prime Minister’s Office, rather than as an independent body as done in other countries. The Prime Minister is also not required to announce when the committee has been formed, unless asked in Parliament.

REPORT THIS AD
REPORT THIS AD

Critics charge that a non-independent Elections Department gives the incumbent party the power to decide polling districts through electoral manipulation, based on poll results in previous elections. There hasn’t been any concrete evidence of this taking place in Singapore. Despite this, there remains a lack of transparency in how the EBRC reviews and redraws electoral boundaries and critics point to past anecdotal evidence of swing districts like Cheng San GRC, Eunos GRC, and Joo Chiat SMC being absorbed to other districts after being narrowly won by the PAP.

Why is Serangoon Central in Marine Parade GRC?

Another criticism of the EBRC’s work is that electoral districts drawn up often don’t follow their actual geographic positions. This has only lent support to the “gerrymandering argument”.

Image result for singapore electoral boundaries Electoral boundaries as of 2019

Some notorious examples of electoral districts that don’t follow their geographical locations include the following:

Serangoon Central (area around Serangoon MRT) is part of Marine Parade GRC despite being over 10km away from the actual Marine Parade neighborhood.

Approximately half the neighborhood of Hougang is part of Ang Mo Kio GRC.

The entirety of Punggol East SMC is located in Sengkang.

Half the Tanjong Pagar neighborhood lies in Jalan Besar GRC.

Up till 2011, the area of Upper Thomson Road near MacRitchie Reservoir was part of Tanjong Pagar GRC being 13km away Tanjong Pagar.

Every review of electoral boundaries has a significant impact on the electorate. Approximately one in five voters in GE2015 found themselves redrawn into new districts. In GE2011, this proportion was nearly 30 percent. Electoral boundaries have also undergone frequent changes – far more than other democracies – even in instances where population levels have remained stable. The EBRC is not required to provide detailed reasons to explain why a district has been redrawn.

Poor electoral freedom ranking

Unsurprisingly, this lack of transparency in how electoral boundaries are determined has contributed to Singapore having one of the lowest levels of electoral freedom in the world according to the NGO group, Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty.

In a 2018 report, Singapore was ranked 173 out of 198 countries in electoral freedom – below countries like Myanmar, Iran, Russia, and Afghanistan. Singapore was also an outlier – the only advanced economy that ranked in the bottom 20 percent of countries.

• Praise 6

56 minutes ago, Playtime said:

https://wakeupsg.com/2019/09/06/how-macritchie-reservoir-used-to-be-in-tanjong-pagar-grc/

The electoral boundaries committee has been set up, said the Elections Department on Wednesday (Sept 4).

What is the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee?

The Electoral Boundaries Review Committee (EBRC) is responsible for reviewing and redrawing electoral boundaries ahead of General Elections (GE). These electoral boundaries will subsequently determine where political candidates can run, and how many. Traditionally, the formation of the EBRC has been seen as a precursor to a GE.

The EBRC is appointed by the Prime Minister, who sets its guidelines or terms of reference. In its media release, the Elections Department said the committee has been directed to further reduce the average size of the Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) and to have more than the current 13 Single Member Constituencies (SMCs).

Why is the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee so controversial?

In recent decades, critics have accused the ruling PAP of unfair electoral practices to maintain its significant parliamentary majority. Among the complaints are that the government uses gerrymandering.

The Elections Department is established as part of the executive branch under the Prime Minister’s Office, rather than as an independent body as done in other countries. The Prime Minister is also not required to announce when the committee has been formed, unless asked in Parliament.

REPORT THIS AD
REPORT THIS AD

Critics charge that a non-independent Elections Department gives the incumbent party the power to decide polling districts through electoral manipulation, based on poll results in previous elections. There hasn’t been any concrete evidence of this taking place in Singapore. Despite this, there remains a lack of transparency in how the EBRC reviews and redraws electoral boundaries and critics point to past anecdotal evidence of swing districts like Cheng San GRC, Eunos GRC, and Joo Chiat SMC being absorbed to other districts after being narrowly won by the PAP.

Why is Serangoon Central in Marine Parade GRC?

Another criticism of the EBRC’s work is that electoral districts drawn up often don’t follow their actual geographic positions. This has only lent support to the “gerrymandering argument”.

Image result for singapore electoral boundaries Electoral boundaries as of 2019

Some notorious examples of electoral districts that don’t follow their geographical locations include the following:

Serangoon Central (area around Serangoon MRT) is part of Marine Parade GRC despite being over 10km away from the actual Marine Parade neighborhood.

Approximately half the neighborhood of Hougang is part of Ang Mo Kio GRC.

The entirety of Punggol East SMC is located in Sengkang.

Half the Tanjong Pagar neighborhood lies in Jalan Besar GRC.

Up till 2011, the area of Upper Thomson Road near MacRitchie Reservoir was part of Tanjong Pagar GRC being 13km away Tanjong Pagar.

Every review of electoral boundaries has a significant impact on the electorate. Approximately one in five voters in GE2015 found themselves redrawn into new districts. In GE2011, this proportion was nearly 30 percent. Electoral boundaries have also undergone frequent changes – far more than other democracies – even in instances where population levels have remained stable. The EBRC is not required to provide detailed reasons to explain why a district has been redrawn.

Poor electoral freedom ranking

Unsurprisingly, this lack of transparency in how electoral boundaries are determined has contributed to Singapore having one of the lowest levels of electoral freedom in the world according to the NGO group, Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty.

In a 2018 report, Singapore was ranked 173 out of 198 countries in electoral freedom – below countries like Myanmar, Iran, Russia, and Afghanistan. Singapore was also an outlier – the only advanced economy that ranked in the bottom 20 percent of countries.

Some time back in August, the alternative MP asked in parliament if the Election BRC had been set up, I CCS (I think it was me), told the house ... NOT YET.But in the ST mentioned the EBRC was set up in August and why it needed to be announced now.

I really dislike our politicians for taking us citizens just true daft. 

Eg Mr Harakiri recently said increase interval for the trains during non-peak hours to save on cost and maintenance. Bro, might as well turn off the entire train then no cost and maintenance issue. Then you go back many months ago, you realized this same joker, mentioned why they need to spend more than $200 million to upgrade the train's signaling system so that the trains interval can be shortened. If that is the case, why spend so much money when you are not going to use it all the time. Then why car-lite, ERP satellite system, COE, Carbon tax and etc. Contradictions and contradictions.

• Praise 6

On 9/6/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ash2017 said:

Some time back in August, the alternative MP asked in parliament if the Election BRC had been set up, I CCS (I think it was me), told the house ... NOT YET.But in the ST mentioned the EBRC was set up in August and why it needed to be announced now.

I really dislike our politicians for taking us citizens just true daft. 

Eg Mr Harakiri recently said increase interval for the trains during non-peak hours to save on cost and maintenance. Bro, might as well turn off the entire train then no cost and maintenance issue. Then you go back many months ago, you realized this same joker, mentioned why they need to spend more than $200 million to upgrade the train's signaling system so that the trains interval can be shortened. If that is the case, why spend so much money when you are not going to use it all the time. Then why car-lite, ERP satellite system, COE, Carbon tax and etc. Contradictions and contradictions.

...a bunch of morons who think others are idiots....good job pappy...Huat Aah

TCB has my fullest respect for his professionalism. :a-good:

On the record, have we ever hear any health advisory from the many doctor turned politicians in our Parliment? Sorry I can recall none...

Dr Tan Cheng Bock advises on precautionary measures against haze

rGoYfLp.jpg

Even though former presidential candidate and general practitioner Tan Cheng Bock has hung up his stethoscope after 50 years in medicine, the doctor in him always offers words of advice.

In light of the haze in Singapore hitting unhealthy levels as PSI exceeds 100 for the first time in 3 years, Dr Tan, Chief of Progress Singapore Party (PSP) advised people to take care of themselves and wear a mask should they be going outdoors during this period. Otherwise, he suggested they stay indoors and be safe.

Dr Tan reminisced about his time as a general practitioner, as he said, “As a doctor, I have seen many such respiratory, nasal, eye and skin problems during the last haze”.

The last time the PSI breached the 100 mark in Singapore was on August 29, 2016, when the 24-hour reading hit 109 in the north. The worst haze episode in Singapore in recent years was in 2015, when rampant forest fires in Indonesia shrouded the region in thick haze for weeks.

In his message, Dr Tan also shared how a PSP event had to be postponed due to the haze.

“My Progress Singapore Party had intended to organise an island wide community event this morning, but because of health concerns arising from the haze, we decided to postpone it”, he shared.

Members of the party were set to meet people throughout the island on Sunday (September 15), but had their event cancelled because of the weather.

• Praise 11

Gearing up for GE: Tan Cheng Bock ready to take on his former party in GE

ST_20190922_FBPSP15_5132326.jpg

He was one of the People's Action Party's (PAP) MPs in one of its strongholds for 26 years. Now Dr Tan Cheng Bock is back - but as a challenger to his former party, and with ex-PAP cadres in tow, not to mention his knowledge of how the ruling party fights its election battles.

As to where he will stand, the secretary-general of Singapore's newest opposition party, the Progress Singapore Party (PSP), has everyone guessing whether he will return to his old stomping ground Ayer Rajah in the next general election.

The veteran politician is also keeping his cards close to his chest on potential candidates.

But, in an interview at his home near Holland Village, the 79-year-old says that if the GE were called next month, the party would be able to field a few candidates across both SMCs and GRCs.

Its potential slate includes professionals, former civil servants and government scholars, he reveals.

The PSP already boasts politicians previously with other parties, including former National Solidarity Party secretary-general Hazel Poa, former Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) candidate Michelle Lee and former Singapore People's Party (SPP) candidate Ravi Philemon.

Dr Tan also has former PAP men in his party leadership ranks, with a Central Executive Committee (CEC) including chairman Wang Swee Chuang and members Alex Tan and Wong Chow Seng.

When asked if he intends to contest his former stronghold of Ayer Rajah, which is currently part of West Coast GRC, Dr Tan tells The Sunday Times it is an area he will "consider strongly", but notes that there are many other "interesting places" they could run.

Dr Tan was MP for Ayer Rajah from 1980 until 2006. In his last election in 2001, he won 88 per cent of the votes in his constituency - the highest margin of victory in that election - against Democratic Progressive Party candidate Tan Lead Shake.

"That (Ayer Rajah) is a good consideration, because I'm familiar with the area. They ask me 'Doc, are you coming back?' and I joke 'Ya, I'm coming home'."

The retired general practitioner notes, however, that the PSP will have to discuss with the other parties, such as the Workers' Party (WP), SDP and People's Voice Party, before deciding where to contest. He says they have indicated where they want to contest.

The party will hold its first walkabout on Sept 29, though it has not revealed the location. The Sunday Times understands it will be held concurrently at four key locations.

Along with his significant popularity - he was a close second in the last contested presidential election in 2011 - Dr Tan brings with him deep knowledge of the PAP's election battle tactics.

"I taught many of the PAP leaders when I was around, including many of the ministers currently in Cabinet, how to fight the election and how to win an election within nine days," says Dr Tan, referring to the legal minimum campaign time. Proteges have included Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam, Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan, and Manpower Minister Josephine Teo, he says.

However, he is aware that a lot has changed since his last rodeo.

"Population, education, housing patterns - all have changed.

"And I cannot just base the manner I'm going to fight this election on my old style."

LOOKING TO OPPOSITION UNITY

Mr Philemon, 51, says he joined the PSP as he believes it is a key step to opposition unity in the next election, allowing them to fight the incumbents in a more coordinated manner under one banner. The managing partner of a media company is also throwing his support behind the party because of its leader.

"Dr Tan has been accepted as the leader of the opposition movement," he says, referring to an agreement by seven parties in July last year for Dr Tan to lead a coalition. The largest opposition party, the WP, was not among them.

"So it makes sense to consolidate behind someone who is recognised as that," says Mr Philemon.

The PSP was officially launched on Aug 3 and, on Aug 9, it announced that it had registered its 540th member. Most members are around the Merdeka Generation age group (60 to 69), but Dr Tan says there is a "sizeable" group in their 20s and 30s, and even "a few" under 20 years old.

Business developer Wong Sheng Min, 36, who joined last month, says that while PSP does have a significant portion of older people in its leadership, they bring political experience and have shown they are open-minded enough to adapt to the digital age and cater to younger Singaporeans.

He cites their visit to the office of Facebook, and the use of social media to livestream their events to a wider audience, as a "good start".

There is a screening process for people who want to join as members, and Dr Tan reveals the party has rejected "a few" applicants. All members have to go through a three-hour induction programme to learn how to carry themselves during walkabouts.

The PSP is also holding lectures to help members understand current issues, which Dr Tan says is important if they want to engage in productive political discussion.

He adds that PSP needs to learn from the more experienced parties such as the WP and SDP, saying: "You got to give them the respect. They have been to the (Parliament) House, so we learn from them."

• Praise 7

2929. 29 Constituencies visited on 29 September, PSP's 1st official walkabout on our sunny island, 来势汹汹!!

PSP's younger members given room to 'manage the ground', says leader Tan Cheng Bock after party's first islandwide walkabout

313b2a00-e29b-11e9-af6f-aae3a1655287

b0d5a330-e29b-11e9-afdb-c6e0ab85c850

b389aa30-e29c-11e9-a99b-c08d98fcfb7a

SINGAPORE — He might be the face of Singapore’s newest opposition party, but veteran politician and former Member of Parliament (MP) Tan Cheng Bock said he was kept in the dark about his party’s first official walkabout on Sunday (29 September).

Instead of dictating the Progress Singapore Party’s (PSP) strategy, he leaves it to the younger members of his party to decide how to “manage the ground”.

“I put some of them to be in charge of some of the things that normally we will not give to these new people because we don’t how they’re going to handle it,” said the 79-year-old during an interview at his home after visiting Ghim Moh and Tiong Bahru in the morning. He added that he was glad for the different “campaigning style” that the younger PSP members brought to the table.

“I watch how they distribute flyers and conduct themselves. So far I think they are okay,” said Dr Tan, who noted the importance of letting these members get to know the ground.

Describing how his team decides on which areas to visit for him, he joked about being kept out of the loop when it came to deciding which areas to visit.

“I said, ‘I’m the boss and you all never tell me. They said ‘When the time comes you go’,” he quipped.

29 constituencies visited

Sunday marked the opening of PSP’s election campaigning, with some 300 PSP members and volunteers conducting walkabouts across the island’s 29 constituencies.

Dr Tan’s route began at 8.30am with a visit to the Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre, which falls under Holland-Bukit Timah group representation constituency (GRC). There, his entourage comprising over a dozen PSP members handed out party pamphlets to patrons and stallholders. Included on the pamphlets were QR codes that linked users to a survey through which they could raise their concerns on social issues.

Some patrons at the food centre seemed to know Dr Tan, who spent 26 years as an MP for the Ayer Rajah single member constituency (SMC). He was also a candidate in the 2011 Presidential Election, in which he narrowly lost to former president Tony Tan.

One Ghim Moh resident who recognised and greeted Dr Tan was Kelly Ng Yik, who owns the 63 Laksa stall at the Ghim Moh hawker centre. “I met a person who almost became the president, which is not a common thing even though we are a small island... As long as he is mentally agile and is approachable to comments (from the ground), things will always be good,” said the 48-year-old hawker.

A ‘not confrontational’ meeting

Dr Tan’s second stop for the morning was Tiong Bahru Food Centre, where he ran into Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Indranee Rajah. Both exchanged greetings and wished each other well before going on to chat with patrons at the crowded food centre.

Asked about their encounter, the 56-year-old Minister in the Prime Minster’s Office and Second Minister for Finance and Education said, “I come here regularly, I do my visits here to touch base with residents once in a while to make sure I keep in touch with people on the ground.

“It’s nice to see people pop by occasionally, and I just said ‘Hi’ to Cheng Bock.”

Asked if she was concerned that Dr Tan would be contesting in her area, Indranee said she “did not think of things that way”.

“When the appropriate time comes... the residents will decide on who based on what they feel has been done for them and whether you'll be the best person to represent them,” she added.

Dr Tan later described the encounter as being “not confrontational” and said that he hoped to see an end to the “if you’re not with me, you’re against me” attitude in local politics.

Trusting the younger generation

After the islandwide walkabouts concluded at around 10.30am, members of the media were invited to Dr Tan’s home in the Holland area for a group interview with members of the PSP’s central executive committee.

Among those in attendance were assistant secretary-general Anthony Lee, 39; assistant treasurer Hazel Poa, 48; as well as committee members Peggie Chua, 39, and Michelle Lee, 42.

Poa was the former secretary-general of the National Solidarity Party while Chua is a former People’s Action Party member. Michelle Lee was a former candidate for the Singapore Democratic Party.

While the team could not say how many PSP members under the age of 25, the party’s youngest member is only 17 years old. The team also declined to reveal their number of members, although Dr Tan added that he believes the figure will exceed 1,000.

Elaborating on the younger party members’ different approach to campaigning, Dr Tan said they got him to break away from his “old style” of visiting just one hawker centre at a time.

“In life you cannot be captured by the past. If you’re not prepared to change for the future, you will stagnate,” he added.

“I always tell (the older) chaps you must learn to give way. We are only tutoring (the younger PSP members), teaching them. We will move out.”

Dr Tan applied to have PSP registered in January. The party had its application approved in late March and held its official launch on 3 August. Earlier this month, the Elections Department announced that the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee had been formed, which has left many speculating that the election could be called as early as this November.

Singapore’s next general election must be held by April 2021.

• Praise 6

Another "Slap" in the face for his former master?:D:D #mytypeofmp

“Trainabout 911″ — Tan Cheng Bock, Progress Singapore Party go on 2nd walkabout — via train

PSP's 2nd Island Walkabout

On 9 November, Team PSP went on an islandwide walkabout. As most Singaporeans use public transport heavily on a daily basis, we too made our way around the island via MRT and buses. We had many warm and wonderful encounters with Singaporeans from all walks of life. Thank you once again for your kind responses! It was an eventful afternoon indeed.

75552817_3163855413688972_78165464967985

72437695_3163855347022312_43122503131185

76972158_3163855220355658_48031994562645

75339402_3163855537022293_26950147762028

75231668_3163855180355662_54832612965582

74485673_3163855213688992_38513123656225

• Praise 8

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

He went full retarded. 

zC9ZmL3.jpg

Isnt this Jason Chua an ex M'sian as well?🙄

Takes one to know one?