Netflix or others : What are the shows recommended to watch?

Ender

Turbocharged

Watched the yin yang master last night. 

Waste of time. Don't bother. 

Film makers self masturbating with the cgi. Story telling slow and draggy. Acting is not worth mentioning. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

Film makers self masturbating with the cgi. Story telling slow and draggy. Acting is not worth mentioning. 

Thanks will avoid like covid safe distancing 

Turbocharged

Agree. Many forget that an engaging film is one with great story telling. Stunts, cgi etc only complement the story telling.

Some films are just powerful by themselves delivering a great story with great acting, eg Departures. No CGI, no stunts, no expensive actor/actress.  Some are powerful with story telling complemented by CGI and stunts, eg Saving Private Ryan. 

Others are just watch for fun and action eg Marvel series, the Expendables. Add on: I forgot Kungfu Hustle. Watched many times. Enjoyed it every time. Damn funny. Well, I did watch many Stephen Chow's movies, many times. The Monkey King 2-parter is good. Campy but good.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Agree. Many forget that an engaging film is one with great story telling. Stunts, cgi etc only complement the story telling.

Some films are just powerful by themselves delivering a great story with great acting, eg Departures. No CGI, no stunts, no expensive actor/actress.  Some are powerful with story telling complemented by CGI and stunts, eg Saving Private Ryan. 

Others are just watch for fun and action eg Marvel series, the Expendables. Add on: I forgot Kungfu Hustle. Watched many times. Enjoyed it every time. Damn funny. Well, I did watch many Stephen Chow's movies, many times. The Monkey King 2-parter is good. Campy but good.

Inception and dr strange cgi seems quite good .. matrix still looks good after been first few gen of cgi

waiting for lao Beng show like top gun II to come to Netflix.. I think infinity war will not be coming to SG Netflix anytime soon

Edited by Sdf4786k

18 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Inception and dr strange cgi seems quite good .. matrix still looks good after been first few gen of cgi

waiting for lao Beng show like top gun II to come to Netflix.. I think infinity war will not be coming to SG Netflix anytime soon

haha till now I haven't watched Infinity wars part 1. I only watched part 2 on the plane.

Edited by Lala81

A good movie is one which is 2hrs long but it’s not draggy.

A lousy movie 1hr long can also feel like an eternity.

I watched this taiwan movie which won some awards last year. 2hrs long but I enjoyed watching it. 

Seen “Little Big Women” on Netflix yet?

https://www.netflix.com/title/81312527?s=i&trkid=13747225

苦海无边 回头是岸。

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Kxbc said:

Also watched this. Story till ok to me, except that the cgi is copied from Dr strange. Even the sound effect is the same. 

13 minutes ago, Ender said:

Also watched this. Story till ok to me, except that the cgi is copied from Dr strange. Even the sound effect is the same. 

The snake is crap but other CGI in the movie are pretty. The movie is quite a visual treat, not to mention the cool choreography of fight sequence. The plot doesn't appeal to me (really nothing much happened) but i didn't think i wasted my 2 hours. 

3 hours ago, Kxbc said:

I love Kungfu Hustle. 

What is Monkey King 2? Chinese Odyssey?

15 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I love Kungfu Hustle. 

What is Monkey King 2? Chinese Odyssey?

yup chinese odyssey part 1 and 2. "bo luo bo luo mi!"

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
24 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

yup chinese odyssey part 1 and 2. "bo luo bo luo mi!"

that 2 movies had lousy effects, lousy stunts (can see the string when they "fly"), lousy costumes.

But it has the funniest storyline, witty dialogue. And it is damn engaging. I last watched it in Nov on Netflix.

Was reading reviews online and found that many South Asians like it too. One mentioned the closing scene of Part 2 (when the monkey said his final farewell to Athena Chu) brought a tear to his eyes. 😂 I have to admit it was pretty moving.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

that 2 movies had lousy effects, lousy stunts (can see the string when they "fly"), lousy costumes.

But it has the funniest storyline, witty dialogue. And it is damn engaging. I last watched it in Nov on Netflix.

Was reading reviews online and found that many South Asians like it too. One mentioned the closing scene of Part 2 (when the monkey said his final farewell to Athena Chu) brought a tear to his eyes. 😂 I have to admit it was pretty moving.

I don't understand cantonese. But I would have thought u need to be a native chinese/cantonese speaker to understand the jokes. And the humor that Stephen chow perfected is quite unique to Hongkong movies. 

It's like I can't understand Japanese slapstick cos it's based on language puns and cultural references.

Edited by Lala81

48 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I don't understand cantonese. But I would have thought u need to be a native chinese/cantonese speaker to understand the jokes. And the humor that Stephen chow perfected is quite unique to Hongkong movies. 

It's like I can't understand Japanese slapstick cos it's based on language puns and cultural references.

I dunno canto but I grew up watching stephen chow's movie in mandarin voice over. But most will say the jokes are best portrayed in canto due to context but mandarin does well for me. 

Still his b movies are all masterpiece and classic to me. 

7 hours ago, Tjkbeluga said:

China gutai movies tend to overuse CGI.... It's like all out proving they can... Annoying.

I tend to avoid china made movies shows like the plague. Hate the way its filmed and the way the actors speak. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

A good movie is one which is 2hrs long but it’s not draggy.

A lousy movie 1hr long can also feel like an eternity.

I watched this taiwan movie which won some awards last year. 2hrs long but I enjoyed watching it. 

Seen “Little Big Women” on Netflix yet?

https://www.netflix.com/title/81312527?s=i&trkid=13747225

苦海无边 回头是岸。

Thanks for recommendation.  Watched it this afternoon. Really enjoyed the movie.  Remind me of Eat Drink Man Woman, the emotions bought forth through simple story telling.  🙏🙏🙏

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1