Whole car sound proof

AndyHo

I have done a few times with my previous cars.

If u want a better audio effect, go for it.

If u expect to have road sounds to decrease, this is not helping.

Well maybe just a little bit but don expect too much.

• Praise 6

I have done a few times with my previous cars.

If u want a better audio effect, go for it.

If u expect to have road sounds to decrease, this is not helping.

Well maybe just a little bit but don expect too much.

One thing I noticed after I did 4 door, front wheel arc, undercarriage spray and tailgate. Is that yes it blocked some sound from coming in, however it also at the same time causes more echo in the cabin.

Take it as the sound inside the cabin is not transmitted out as easily as without soundproofing, so these sounds get reflected back and create the echo effect. This echo effect can be also quite irritating.

So now I get to understand to do proper soundproofing, one need to not only add the soundproofing layer (those stick type), it also need to add sound absorbation material like sponge, cloth and etc. Those materials that will absorb sound and will reduce the sound to get reflected back in the cabin and thus reduce the echoing sound.

So for cars with a lot of hard plastic, it does not help much as plastic do not absorb sound, it reflect sound. So if let's say want quiter cabin, perhaps to also wrap these hard plastic with leather or some soft touch cloth, confirmed the interior cabin will feel less echo noise.

Like for my case, the road sound in the cabin is reduced, however the road sound that is echoed back to the cabin is increased, this resulted in the road noise echoing sound that it does not help much at all.

Maybe that is also one of the reason why premium car like Merc, lexus, camry and etc all have quiter cabin as compared to bread and butter car as these car internal has less hard plastic and have more soft touch material that can absorb sound, of coz have more sound proofing material too.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 12

Anyone did whole car sound proof? Any difference before and after? Was quoted $2k.

I did 10 yrs ago on my camry

$2k plus for whole car, end up sold the car few months later because the noise still there, improve by 10% but no diff. Only door close thud more solid and knock body sound like a tank. Waste my time and my money.

Like some bro said here buy a better car or change to more quiet tyre

• Praise 5

$2k plus for whole car, end up sold the car few months later because the noise still there, improve by 10% but no diff. Only door close thud more solid and knock body sound like a tank. Waste my time and my money.

Thanks all for the feedback, i think afterall no point spending 2k in this...

Last time i drove nissan latio... very quiet, like conti car... now changed to sienta, sound very nosiy... volume up radio also no use...

Edited by AndyHo
  • Praise 1

You want can, be prepared to also spend money to change hard plastic to soft touch material in the cabin.

Last time i drove nissan latio... very quiet, like conti car... now changed to sienta, sound very nosiy... volume up radio also no use...

I think latio has more soft touch material in the cabin, that helps in sound absorbion and thus less echoing noise. Thus become quite quiet.

Watch from 6.15 to 6.30mins, can see the difference between a room with sound absorbion material vs no sound absorbion material in the room. The one with sound absorbation in the room got less eshoing noise. So put it in perspective in a car. Say this car all hard plastic, those road sound that went into cabin get bounced around in the car. Confirmed will be super noisy.

Sound proof panels are quite heavy , if you soundproof your whole car the weight might go up by 15-20 kgs ( most likely ) and your fuel consumption will go up ....... now that’s not going car lite

• Praise 3

Watch from 6.15 to 6.30mins, can see the difference between a room with sound absorbion material vs no sound absorbion material in the room. The one with sound absorbation in the room got less eshoing noise. So put it in perspective in a car. Say this car all hard plastic, those road sound that went into cabin get bounced around in the car. Confirmed will be super noisy.

Sienta alll plastic...

Your expectations superbly high! 10 years ago camry should be the MIJ! Consider premium and quiet cabin.

You can try getting those door rubber seal..taobao quite cheap. One roll around 30 plus dollars. Seal all the four doors on top of the factory seal. Bonnet. Boot edges as well. Secondly go change to a set of quiet tyres. Third..if really not satisfy go soundproof the four wheel arch. See any slight improvement.

Last..tune up your radio volume!

• Praise 1

The reason ppl cannot achieve what they want when sound insulating the car are the windows, simple as that. No matter how many pieces of insulating material you apply all over the car also no use. It's added weight and a wasted of time.

If you look at how residences are able to isolate outside noise are becos of the double glazing windows used. There's a spacing in between two layers of windows. Something a car that's not able to install. Unless you live in your car stop wasting time over such installations.

There's also no such thing as a "better car" for sound insulation. If you want a quiet car there's only the option of an electric car, no engine noise and no exhaust noise but tire noise and whooshing noise will still be present. That's why I always think car has one of the worse acoustic environment period. And then you see drivers mod loud exhaust, loud air intake but try to quiet the cabin with tons of sound insulation. LoL...

• Praise 1

The reason ppl cannot achieve what they want when sound insulating the car are the windows, simple as that. No matter how many pieces of insulating material you apply all over the car also no use. It's added weight and a wasted of time.

If you look at how residences are able to isolate outside noise are becos of the double glazing windows used. There's a spacing in between two layers of windows. Something a car that's not able to install. Unless you live in your car stop wasting time over such installations.

There's also no such thing as a "better car" for sound insulation. If you want a quiet car there's only the option of an electric car, no engine noise and no exhaust noise but tire noise and whooshing noise will still be present. That's why I always think car has one of the worse acoustic environment period. And then you see drivers mod loud exhaust, loud air intake but try to quiet the cabin with tons of sound insulation. LoL...

I ever driven my boss LS460 on a few occasions to leng kee. Hmm boring..but powerful. Boring as to the sense so quiet that I can even hear my boss snoring sound from the rear..fxxk.

Your expectations superbly high! 10 years ago camry should be the MIJ! Consider premium and quiet cabin.

No mine thaiyota one lol

I think my expectation abit high

Spending 2k and hopes it transform into a LS460?

Sorry not gonna happen.

Reducing NVH is more complicated than one might think.

No la i expecting GS300 hehehehe

I remember going 90kmh very noisy plus raining

You can try getting those door rubber seal..taobao quite cheap. One roll around 30 plus dollars. Seal all the four doors on top of the factory seal. Bonnet. Boot edges as well. Secondly go change to a set of quiet tyres. Third..if really not satisfy go soundproof the four wheel arch. See any slight improvement.

Last..tune up your radio volume!ð

Or wear noise cancellation headphone lol