Whole car sound proof

AndyHo

my personnel view:

to eliminate the outside noise is not as simple as put another layers of sound proof on panels as mislead by these joker sound proofing seller.

have a deep thought by yourself, example if your window not fully close that leave a small gap at top does it get noisier versus window full shut close?

Hence to minimise the outside noise fundamental is to fill up all the gap within body frame and joint.

a good body frame means when panel and panel welded together it should have minimal or no gap.

When engineer know or found any gap (panel to panel) that may create contact which cannot be avoided, manufacturer will filled with vibration dampener . While joint which may have gap which cannot avoided will be filled with sound deadening foam.

so most seller praise how high quality the sound proofing material like from Europe, but the worksmanship knowledge to apply it correctly as I seen is minimal..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

my personnel view:

to eliminate the outside noise is not as simple as put another layers of sound proof on panels as mislead by these joker sound proofing seller.

have a deep thought by yourself, example if your window not fully close that leave a small gap at top does it get noisier versus window full shut close?

Hence to minimise the outside noise fundamental is to fill up all the gap within body frame and joint.

a good body frame means when panel and panel welded together it should have minimal or no gap.

When engineer know or found any gap (panel to panel) that may create contact which cannot be avoided, manufacturer will filled with vibration dampener . While joint which may have gap which cannot avoided will be filled with sound deadening foam.

so most seller praise how high quality the sound proofing material like from Europe, but the worksmanship knowledge to apply it correctly as I seen is minimal..

This remind me of 1 month back, I mount kerb and went up grasses. Soon after that, when I drive, there will have lond sound coming from exhaust. I peep into undercarriage to see is there anything wrong with the undercarriage, it seems normal.

Next day went to workshop to tell the workshop guy about the problem. The guy hoist the car up and look at undercarriage. It seems nothing wrong, undercarriage is what it looks to be and no visible damsge or anything. Then I say cannot be the loud sound come from exhaust. So the workshop guy tried to grip the exhaust and pull and push to see whether is it loosen. Then the surprise come. Part of the exhaust that is under the car is flashed with the undercarriage, and he just pull it down so that it is not flashed. After that the loud sound from the exhaust is gone.

Understand from him that there is vibration damper that holds the exhaust to the frame. So mine is that somehow the exhaust is pushed to the frame and slanted the vibration damper. So all the vibration in the exhaust could be felt and loud sound is heard. So yeah. After this incident, I realised that even the exhaust, engineer put in thoughts on how to reduce sound coming from exhaust to finest detail like putting vibration damper holding up to the undercarriage. So I must have hit the exhaust while I mount the kerb and causes it to push in and stick to undercarriage.

So yeah.. Every little details counts in terms of reducing sound from the car and from the environment.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

What car is that

Bro, 

It's my Lexus ES250. So it really means out of manufacturing, they only give minimum. Now if you come sit in my car, can really feel the quietness. so to each his own, I find the sound from the ML system is better after I do it and thus no need to upgrade the speakers although may not be best. 

Somehow, the internal panels build quality is also another area that need to be look into. I was driving the brand new Camry in Mexico and find out myself why the Lexus internal engineering is so much costly than Camry. Cos the Camry internal will have some vibration sound.

Bro, during the manufacturing process, they only give you basic. At the end, still need to add on to make sure it is good, refer to mey photos......

I think most car manufacturer dont bother to put soundproof at spare tyre area.

They put layers at boot flooring normally. Those one spare tyre are a little foam cushion to prevent spare tyre making noise

I think most car manufacturer dont bother to put soundproof at spare tyre area.

They put layers at boot flooring normally. Those one spare tyre are a little foam cushion to prevent spare tyre making noise

Well, the so call quiet Lexus also actually don't have too much SP done. After doing up, I feel so great with it. Was telling my CFO I can drive 10 years if no new models I like cos she thinking about another brand

my personnel view:

You are right. For my Citroen C5, I can find sound absorbing material between welding points which cannot be avoided.

Glass play a  importance role. Luxury cars usually comes with thick laminated acoustic glass. For my citroen c5 exclusive and the latest  ES in Luxury trim, there is dual layered laminated glass which filter external and wind noise.

Engine mounting help to reduce engine noise too. Some luxury cars came with active engine mount which help to reduce engine vibration to the car frame which also reduce the noise associated with the vibration. Same for the type of suspension, bushes, suspension mounting to reduce the road noise and ride comfort. 

The points above cannot be achieve by aftermarket sound proofing.  

• Praise 2

You never do for your Sylphy?

I follow a few car audio shops on fb. Observed that most cars that do whole car soundproof are cheaper jap cars like sienta, vezel, harrier etc. Hardly or never see more expensive cars (incl entry conti) do whole car treatment. So the advice to buy a better car or just save until can buy is sound. 

My car not that noisy inside. But if i really cannot tahan outside noises coming in i will just put on some ear plug. Just to lower the noise level to what i want. No safety issue here, its the same as hi end conti cars internal noise level. And it cost nothing.

• Praise 1

You can watch Taiwan car review on Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 to have a glimpse on how car maker pay attention on little details such as glass thickness, tyres, double rubber seal on doors etc...just to achieve better sound insulation.

It is not so simple as sticking sound proofing materials all over.

but CX-3 handling cannot make it...

Superior NVH (driving at 80km/h) i have experienced:

(OUT OF THIS WORLD) Lexus GS300 (2005-2012)

(GOOD) Bmw 7, Toyota Altis , Nissan Qashqai, Nissan Latio, VW Passat

I think NVH is often under-rated in car buying decision.

• Praise 1