Advice on exhaust.

OneyeKing

28 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

It's just like modding your nostrils to be bigger but the size of your lungs are fixed.

Good one! So modding the exhaust is like increasing to size of the butt hole for a louder fart? You won't run faster just becos you fart louder. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Not only that, but your car pick up will worsen because of insufficient backpressure for auto cars. I have experienced that with my car after this modification. I often laugh when I see a modified car sounded loud but not moving fast.  

• Haha! 3

(edited)

95%of ppl change exhaust for nice and sound nia la.

If done wrongly instead of having a chance of adding maybe0.5%hp.

U might lose hp instead.

Tuning / moding is not simply choosing nice expensive branded parts and replace it

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 2

20 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Some ppl just like to mod car. Like me! what is the fun of getting a fast car without some hands on?

I agree with the fun in mods, me too. 😅

However some car owner expects wonders from a few simple mods. Like changing of headers only 😉

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Discoburg said:

I agree with the fun in mods, me too. 😅

However some car owner expects wonders from a few simple mods. Like changing of headers only 😉

For myself, I like to drive my car first. then after understanding what is its shortcoming, or things I don't like then I start changing.

Not everything is about power. 🙂

• Praise 2

26 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

For myself, I like to drive my car first. then after understanding what is its shortcoming, or things I don't like then I start changing.

Not everything is about power. 🙂

For me is I just like to change some stuffs on my ride when I am bored.

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
23 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

For me is I just like to change some stuffs on my ride when I am bored.

you got itchy hand like that.

• Haha! 1

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

you got itchy hand like that.

I do. Thats why I gotta make myself busy with other stuffs. Anyway lets not OT anymore.

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Beregond said:

95%of ppl change exhaust for nice and sound nia la.

If done wrongly instead of having a chance of adding maybe0.5%hp.

U might lose hp instead.

Tuning / moding is not simply choosing nice expensive branded parts and replace it

Tiong-chia modders and LTA seems to think otherwise. Both think adding headers, test pipe and op muffler will immediately add 20Nm and 50whp to the bread and butter car. 

One type like to secretly mod, the other like to catch. All these drama for less than 10 horses spread over the rev range. 

Just lup a bigger block and go straight to ICE upgrades already. 😛 

On a serious note, first thing to upgrade should be a set of light, forged rims with nice tyres in the correct size and pressure. Much better response than a header swap. 

• Praise 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Volvobrick said:

Good one! So modding the exhaust is like increasing to size of the butt hole for a louder fart? You won't run faster just becos you fart louder. 

Haha...it's the same lo. The system is moving more air but the fuel amount is still the same, the engine will just run lean and overheat.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Do not anyhow change the size of the exhaust pipe. If you are just modding the muffler, it's just sound cos the muffler's function is to suppress the exhaust noise. The droning noise from the exhaust will make you sleepy on long drives. I dunno why ppl still do it. It doesnt add any torque or hp.

• Praise 1

I got exhaust question 🙋‍♂️

What is the purpose of the carbon-wrapped exhaust tips? Most famously being Akrapovic of course. Does it improve performance or is it purely aesthetic?

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

I got exhaust question 🙋‍♂️

What is the purpose of the carbon-wrapped exhaust tips? Most famously being Akrapovic of course. Does it improve performance or is it purely aesthetic?

Lightweight. Exhaust usually is stainless steel. very heavy. Some performance exhaust will use titanium and carbon fibre to cut some weight.

• Praise 1

On 4/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Lightweight. Exhaust usually is stainless steel. very heavy. Some performance exhaust will use titanium and carbon fibre to cut some weight.

No doubt titanium exhaust systems exist and are lighter than SS, but I don't think I've seen an entire exhaust system made of carbon fibre. In fact the Akra tips or mufflers I noticed - correct me if I'm wrong - are still metal but wrapped in an additional layer of carbon.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2