COE Bidding – 2nd Round of February 2019

Carbon82

So I'll be renewing my COE next month and here's my calculation when I renew:

PQP: $31.5K

Loss of PARF: $14K

Additional Road Tax over 10 years: $5.6K

Total: $51.2K.

I didn't include maintenance though, which doesn't matter to me because I like to maintain my car well and would have spent as much on a new car over 10 years.

So compared to buying a new car which is $100K+, and there isn't one there with similar performance/value that I like, it becomes an easy decision to me.

Not cheapo la, it's a big purchase so it's good to do some math before deciding.

At least your parf not too bad, my part will be 27k plus 3k body, about 30k write off when renew. But this write off is irrelevant of timing.

So I'll be renewing my COE next month and here's my calculation when I renew:

PQP: $31.5K

Loss of PARF: $14K

Additional Road Tax over 10 years: $5.6K

Total: $51.2K.

I didn't include maintenance though, which doesn't matter to me because I like to maintain my car well and would have spent as much on a new car over 10 years.

So compared to buying a new car which is $100K+, and there isn't one there with similar performance/value that I like, it becomes an easy decision to me.

Not cheapo la, it's a big purchase so it's good to do some math before deciding.

PARF of 14k means it not a simple B&B car. So can renew,

If like you said, the equivalent is more than 100k

At least your parf not too bad, my part will be 27k plus 3k body, about 30k write off when renew. But this write off is irrelevant of timing.

"$30K" ouch :) Our government is so good at making car ownership so complicated for us. We all have become math geniuses as a result.

"$30K" ouch :) Our government is so good at making car ownership so complicated for us. We all have become math geniuses as a result.

no money to buy new one. No fish  old prawn also can

Edited by Ct3833

PARF of 14k means it not a simple B&B car. So can renew,

If like you said, the equivalent is more than 100k

Passionate about cars (with a budget). I even enjoy troubleshooting with my mechanics. That's why we're here right?  [laugh]

Got meself skoda rapid sb. ð

I was even given a COE rebate of 25k. Shows how confident the dealer was ð

I was like looking at the rapid sb too

but I heard scala is replacing sb later this year

Passionate about cars (with a budget). I even enjoy troubleshooting with my mechanics. That's why we're here right? [laugh]

Haha, yes of course. Hope it is a semi reliable car. Troubleshooting can get to you after a while. With $$ there is nothing that can’t be fixed. However it’s the down time that gets to me after a while. My old laopok is 17years old.

I was like looking at the rapid sb too

but I heard scala is replacing sb later this year

I have seen quite a few cars, the KIA stonic was one of them. But in terms of value for money and flexiblity, i felt Skoda was able to offer more bang for the buck.

Plus i managed to nego for the full benefits despite me going for my own loan

Many dun understand la....just lose coe value for 10 mths....only $900 LOL. Shallow thinking

Hi, wat if u renewed now ( claiming save $10k renewal coe cost )and U lost 8 months of ownership den 8 months later COE remain same ( hopefully ) touch wood dun drop $10k more! So will still be nothing?!?! LOLLOLOLOLO

NO LA, renew earlier just lost coe. $900 only! All pls go renew now !!!! Bcos many People said so leh....all the kiang tu ho still ai geh kiang said so, LOL

Wat coe cat car ?? Rise $10k .....hmmmmmm not easy bro

March 2019 PQP is same as sept 2018 PQP which was also 33. In between is 31-32 ++++ for Cat B big car. Lowest is Jan 2019 $31335, feb is 31933 I think

Can sustain???? Who knows climb a while drop again LOL.....

for CAT B car,if renew COE now VS 6 month late, the $ wise calculation as following:

Renew earlier: pay $33000 now and drive another 10 years.

Renew 6 month late: pay PQP 6 month late, and you could get $330 interest. and get 6 month more car ownership after 9.5 years compared with renew now scenario.ant it at least worth 5% of late renew COE(un used portion) or future market value which ever is higher.

Edited by Seya

Many dun understand la....just lose coe value for 10 mths....only $900 LOL. Shallow thinking

Hi, wat if u renewed now ( claiming save $10k renewal coe cost )and U lost 8 months of ownership den 8 months later COE remain same ( hopefully ) touch wood dun drop $10k more! So will still be nothing?!?! LOLLOLOLOLO

NO LA, renew earlier just lost coe. $900 only! All pls go renew now !!!! Bcos many People said so leh....all the kiang tu ho still ai geh kiang said so, LOL

Wat coe cat car ?? Rise $10k .....hmmmmmm not easy bro

March 2019 PQP is same as sept 2018 PQP which was also 33. In between is 31-32 ++++ for Cat B big car. Lowest is Jan 2019 $31335, feb is 31933 I think

Can sustain???? Who knows climb a while drop again LOL.....

If the decision is so straight forward, the question wont even be raised in the first place. It seems like you also cant offer alternative other than criticising others. Better talk less.
  • Praise 1

Yes. As long u pay Feb pay feb Pqp..U still not clear bt how coe renewal works.???

Rising $1k every month is not really a lot, some times up some times down, hopefully will average out. dun need to be so stress up bro. Many bros already advise. Unless u r so tempted and lured by feb low coe pqp

Steady poon pee pee!

I like!

Thanks for Sharing this way of calculating. I am basing on the calculation when I buy my used car with a linear depre of about 14k/year, so if I will to renew it now, I will lose that depre(my own paper value) of about 10k between now to Dec.

Put it the other way round, if COE will to go up by 10k by then, I still will be at best break even, wont lose anything, plus 10 more months of driving vs if I will to renew it now.

Boh bian lah, want to be cheapo, must calculate until so jialat. i thought my logic is reasonable, hope to hear more views.

Your calculation based on your used car depreciation is correct. No rush to Renew COE now as PQP is base on 6 bids coe, just need to monitor closely coming coe bidding.
  • Praise 1

Looking at the trend chart, it seem like Dec18 is the lowest it can go. After that, coe price keep raising. Does that imply the lowest we can get is over?

Now we are waiting to see how high it can climb for the subseqence years to go?

Can we conclude that in theory, after waiting for so long for coe drop on better performance car (cat B), it will not hit below 30k. In actual fact, it is not less than 40k now because of the invisible 10k ves add on.

So those bought their cat B car at 36k period in early 2016 (3 yrs ago & w/o ves) is the earliest folk that get the best price then

Edited by Lotr8445r

Today is 23Feb and PQP for March is already out.

Is it still possible to renew at Feb PQP price today?

I found it interesting too. I thought CNY was the cause of last month's spike. Although I don't think there's enough data to consider it trend yet. Goes to show you have to be in the trade to know how to bid for COE. Unless there's a data scientist here among us :)

↡ Advertisement