COE Bidding – 2nd Round of February 2019

Carbon82

From the trend, Cat A seems to be hovering around a bottom of around $25-26k while Cat B & E continue with their gentle upward trajectory.

↡ Advertisement

Thanks, bro. Not my intention to get new car but my Sunny showing signs of old age although mileage is low 55k. I am going to miss her. :(

10 years old car with only 55k mileage? :blink:

Good morning!

Once again, appreciate your analysis.

I have a question, how u calculate the estimated PQP collected $0.155B?

I have some typo error with my earlier post. Basing on 3.5% of "Vehicle Quota Premium", the PQP figure should be

2018: $0.115 B (actual)

2019: $0.12 B (estimated)

I really don't think govt. will do anything, it is an estimate not KPI. See last 2018 estimate v. actual, $2B different leh..

Thanks for pointing that out.  [thumbsup]

I sincerely hope that LTA will not attempt to "claw back" the difference, since $2.3 Bil is not exactly a small amount...

• Praise 4

no expert here.

Anyway i think it depends on the number of people renew/scrap their cars. If coe go up, less people w renew. Vice versa. Now catB price went up, so some may decide not to renew. 

Dear Experts,

Any chance for CAT B COE price to drop over the coming months till Dec 2019?

• Praise 1

My car due in Dec, depre is about $1.1k per month, so that means I can afford about $10k or $11k of Cat B COE climb till Dec. What is your opinion? I think my risk a low for delaying till Dec.

Are u referring to dep based on paper value? Whether u choose to renew now or 8 mths later, your parf will still be forfeited. So what is difference is the residual coe value. If your old coe was say 18k, the annual coe dep is 1.8k. So if u renew say 6 mth earlier, u only lost $900. But the fluctuation in PQP can easily more than $900. Thats my thought.

Are u referring to dep based on paper value? Whether u choose to renew now or 8 mths later, your parf will still be forfeited. So what is difference is the residual coe value. If your old coe was say 18k, the annual coe dep is 1.8k. So if u renew say 6 mth earlier, u only lost $900. But the fluctuation in PQP can easily more than $900. Thats my thought.

Thanks for Sharing this way of calculating. I am basing on the calculation when I buy my used car with a linear depre of about 14k/year, so if I will to renew it now, I will lose that depre(my own paper value) of about 10k between now to Dec.

Put it the other way round, if COE will to go up by 10k by then, I still will be at best break even, wont lose anything, plus 10 more months of driving vs if I will to renew it now.

Boh bian lah, want to be cheapo, must calculate until so jialat. i thought my logic is reasonable, hope to hear more views.

Edited by Ct3833

My car due in Dec, depre is about $1.1k per month, so that means I can afford about $10k or $11k of Cat B COE climb till Dec. What is your opinion? I think my risk a low for delaying till Dec.

Wait till Dec - max Cat B can climb to in Dec 2019 is $40K.

World economic outlook is not rosy.

Thanks for Sharing this way of calculating. I am basing on the calculation when I buy my used car with a linear depre of about 14k/year, so if I will to renew it now, I will lose that depre(my own paper value) of about 10k between now to Dec.

Put it the other way round, if COE will to go up by 10k by then, I still will be at best break even, wont lose anything, plus 10 more months of driving vs if I will to renew it now.

Boh bian lah, want to be cheapo, must calculate until so jialat. i thought my logic is reasonable, hope to hear more views.

So I'll be renewing my COE next month and here's my calculation when I renew:

PQP: $31.5K

Loss of PARF: $14K

Additional Road Tax over 10 years: $5.6K

Total: $51.2K.

I didn't include maintenance though, which doesn't matter to me because I like to maintain my car well and would have spent as much on a new car over 10 years. 

So compared to buying a new car which is $100K+, and there isn't one there with similar performance/value that I like, it becomes an easy decision to me.

Not cheapo la, it's a big purchase so it's good to do some math before deciding.

• Praise 3

Put it this way lah, whatever you have paid for the current car is already sunken money. But what you are going to pay for renewal is your future money. If I can save $10k in my renewal cost, this real saving to me. The lost of 8 months ownership if compared to 10 yr COE is nothing la. 

I didn't include maintenance though, which doesn't matter to me because I like to maintain my car well and would have spent as much on a new car over 10 years.

So compared to buying a new car which is $100K+, and there isn't one there with similar performance/value that I like, it becomes an easy decision to me.

Not cheapo la, it's a big purchase so it's good to do some math before deciding.

March PQP is $33k, not $31.5k

You probably wont spend as much on maintenance for new car vs your current ride due to the warranty. If you have maintained your current car well then you should be able to achieve the savings.
↡ Advertisement