2014 / 2015 BMW 2 Series Active / Gran Tourer

slickshifters

No it does not.

Hmm. Ok, thanks. I thought I saw it before in the options some time ago... must be my mistake then...
↡ Advertisement

Yes it does if you upgrade to navigation plus which is 6k additional including the hud option. Is split screen important ?

Hi everyone ,

It brings me sad news that bmw will not be bringing in the 220I or 218 models.

I will still go ahead to purchase the car. Any bros wants to purchase with me. Do kindly let me know. If purchase by this weekend will be before the 1.5k increase. Prices will be increased this Monday.

Think split screen is just good to have - not really important. Just thought I saw it before and now its gone.. so wanted to check if its my mistake.

Its a shame that pml wont be bringing in the higher end model. I find 216d engine quite loud/unrefined (probably due the fact that its a 3 cyl diesel engine) and its sound proofing at the undercarriage is quite bad.

• Praise 1

Think split screen is just good to have - not really important. Just thought I saw it before and now its gone.. so wanted to check if its my mistake.

Its a shame that pml wont be bringing in the higher end model. I find 216d engine quite loud/unrefined (probably due the fact that its a 3 cyl diesel engine) and its sound proofing at the undercarriage is quite bad.

I don't think it's got to do with the 3cylinders, more likely cos it's diesel?

Did you try the 116d as comparison?

I suppose different thresholds for different people cos I find it acceptable in the cabin though admit it's loud externally.

• Praise 8

I suppose different thresholds for different people cos I find it acceptable in the cabin though admit it's loud externally.

I didnt have the chance to try out higher end diesel model so not sure if its due to cyl numbers or simply because its a diesel engine..

The engine sound is fine when the car is stationary when in cabin (not really audible). But I find it quite 'loud/rough' when accelerating from driver seat.

I agree that the diesel do sound loud when accelerating. At first I tot it's becos of diesel engine so I went to test drove the odc. I initially tot it will be quiet but I was wrong. During acceleration, the odc was also loud.

• Praise 1

I didnt have the chance to try out higher end diesel model so not sure if its due to cyl numbers or simply because its a diesel engine..

The engine sound is fine when the car is stationary when in cabin (not really audible). But I find it quite 'loud/rough' when accelerating from driver seat.

All Diesel engines are noisy. It's the amount of insulation they use that makes the difference. Entry level cars use less insulation and higher end ones use more. They cannot add too much insulation in a small engine car because it adds weight.
  • Praise 1

Yes it does if you upgrade to navigation plus which is 6k additional including the hud option. Is split screen important ?

Hi everyone ,

It brings me sad news that bmw will not be bringing in the 220I or 218 models.

I will still go ahead to purchase the car. Any bros wants to purchase with me. Do kindly let me know. If purchase by this weekend will be before the 1.5k increase. Prices will be increased this Monday.

If have a 2010 jan toyota wish trade in, ca n fetch how much? Can help ask..

Thanks

If you are the type that like to see your customised picture. Split screen will allow your uploaded picture to be on one of the split screen.

U can upload up to 5 pictures but I am not sure whether all 5 pics will be displayed like a screensaver or you need to select one of the 5 pics to be displayed. Anyway, I have no way to find out as mine has no split screen.

Hmm. Ok, thanks. I thought I saw it before in the options some time ago... must be my mistake then...

(edited)

All Diesel engines are noisy. It's the amount of insulation they use that makes the difference. Entry level cars use less insulation and higher end ones use more. They cannot add too much insulation in a small engine car because it adds weight.

which is why its a shame that pml doesnt want to bring in petrol version of 2gt or bigger diesel engine which I supposed they can add more insulation.. Edited by Leocry

Yes. Different thresholds. I don't find it very loud. Maybe my previous ride (Conti MPV) is not too quiet too.

Better to test drive to know your threshold.

In any case, I like the advantage of a diesel engine more which is fuel efficiency. I clocked more than 30000 km per year, so I am really glad that I bought a diesel car, especially a diesel MPV.

A petrol MPV will struggle to be that fuel efficient. My savings from fuel is more than S$ 200 per month compared to my previous ride.

For these past few days, I travelled more on highways and to date it is more than 500 km and not even half tank yet.

This aspect is the best feature I liked about the 2GT.

I guess PML has reasons not to bring in higher specs or petrol versions of the 2GT. I suppose a higher spec 2GT will be around $ 180 k to $ 200k.

Most MPV buyers are ppl with young family to feed and with heavy commitments like housing loan to service, etc. Not many can afford a $ 180k MPV.

If the 2GT is indeed priced at $180 k, it will prob drive potential buyers to other makes like B Class, Touran, Picasso, etc.

I think the market is just too small to cater to.

which is why its a shame that pml doesnt want to bring in petrol version of 2gt or bigger diesel engine which I supposed they can add more insulation..

Turbocharged

Because if they get in 220d, the price competitiveness will be gone. U probably looking at 200k

not referring to general public where 216d will suit most where I understand pricing, market share, competitiveness etc. I may be wrong but I thought pml wont bring in 218 or 220 even on indent basis, or are they?

Maybe indent basis also means must provide support.

Personnel must be sent to train on that specific vehicle and its engine maintenance and servicing and maybe it is just not worth it for them.

not referring to general public where 216d will suit most where I understand pricing, market share, competitiveness etc. I may be wrong but I thought pml wont bring in 218 or 220 even on indent basis, or are they?

Maybe indent basis also means must provide support.

Personnel must be sent to train on that specific vehicle and its engine maintenance and servicing and maybe it is just not worth it for them.

Fully agree, but its a shame still :)
  • Praise 1

(edited)

It is understandable that pml do not want to bring in 220d. They need to compete with cat A cars as they are losing mkt share to jap models. A jaguar xe only cost $160k now. Btw a 116d or 216d is a mass mkt car and can never be as smooth as a 520d. So don't complain lah. U want luxury and comfort go for 3 series and above. Want height go x3 and above. A x1 is very stripped down like 116d eg no navigation. 1 and 2 series is like vw and 3 series and above is like Audi. BMW does not have entry level brands and very soon all 1 and 2 series will become front wheel drive. They are even coming out with 116d sedan. And soon they will drive more and more like jap cars as cheaper parts. Heard bmw is building a china plant. 216d now uses Toyota aisin gb and of course can feel the diff if u have driven a dual clutch gb. Current 116d is the last rear wheel drive with 8 spd zf gb so it drives better but too small for family use. And do u notice the 3 cyc 1.5l petrol and diesel engine is as small as a a4 size paper (lxb) just like the ford 1.0l engine? So I think it is a technological marvel already to pull such a heavy car like the 216d at or gt. And little wonder it also won the international engine of the year award.

Edited by Munhua

Yes. Different thresholds. I don't find it very loud. Maybe my previous ride (Conti MPV) is not too quiet too.

Better to test drive to know your threshold.

In any case, I like the advantage of a diesel engine more which is fuel efficiency. I clocked more than 30000 km per year, so I am really glad that I bought a diesel car, especially a diesel MPV.

A petrol MPV will struggle to be that fuel efficient. My savings from fuel is more than S$ 200 per month compared to my previous ride.

For these past few days, I travelled more on highways and to date it is more than 500 km and not even half tank yet.

This aspect is the best feature I liked about the 2GT.

After test driving the 216d 2GT, I find that the engine noise is only audible during initial acceleration. Other than that is quieter than my current petrol ride

Agreed quieter than vw tdi which is same as merc cdi. Renault 1.5l diesel is also quiet but less powerful. BMW 1.5l 3 cyc diesel is also more efficient because of efficient dynamics whereby u coast or brake will recharge battery. VW tdi energy brake regeneration is bulls**t as markerting gimmick only just like how they say tdi is clean and gb problem solved. Not too sure abt mb or Renault.

↡ Advertisement