2014 / 2015 BMW 2 Series Active / Gran Tourer

slickshifters

Merc already has the R class called the Grand Tourer and a comfortable 7 seater. So it is not new to Merc.

Mercedes has discontinued the R-Class for some time so I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation B-Class came with a 7-seater version like this BMW 2 Series Active/Gran Tourer duo.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Mercedes has discontinued the R-Class for some time so I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation B-Class came with a 7-seater version like this BMW 2 Series Active/Gran Tourer duo.

Yes, probably so. The reason for discontinuing the R was because it didn't sell well (according to wiki), so I don't know whether the BMW 2 Gran Tourer will fare any better. Looking at the length dimension of this 2 Series, the 3rd row will be for kids only.

Quick Spec

External Dimensions: 4,556mm (L) x 1,800 (W) x 1,608mm (H)

Drive: FWD with Transversely Front Mounted Engine

Model / Engine: 220i / 2.0 4Cycl TC Petrol / 192hp / 270Nm / 223Km/h / 7.7sec

218i / 1.5 3Cycl TC Petrol / 136hp / 220Nm / 205Km/h / 9.5sec

220d / 2.0 4Cycl TC Diesel / 190hp / 400Nm / 218Km/h / 7.6sec

218d / 2.0 4Cycl TC Diesel / 150hp / 330Nm / 205Km/h / 9.3sec

216d / 1.5 3Cycl TC Diesel / 116hp / 270Nm / 192Km/h / 11.1sec

Since PM has been missing out in the Cat A range, the 216d might be the right model to be introduced here.

My favor “218i / 1.5 3Cycl TC Petrol / 136hp / 220Nm / 205Km/h / 9.5sec”

can it be below 200k in current CATB COE?

• Praise 2

My favor 218i / 1.5 3Cycl TC Petrol / 136hp / 220Nm / 205Km/h / 9.5sec

can it be below 200k in current CATB COE?

I would expect the pricing to be around $180K+, with the help of CEVS rebate, which make it marginally costlier than the B200.
  • Praise 4

How much will it cost approx? for 220d

Given that diesel model cost more in Europe (and in our case, higher OMV), it might be closer to $200k. If PML is in for a gamble, 216d might be a better bet, as this shall make it to cat A, and coupled with the max CEVS rebate, price could be in the $160K range.

Actually after the revision to COE categorisation in early 2014, PML is the only luxury car maker (vs Mercedes, Audi, Volvo) that do not have any cat A model, and they are loosing in market share quite significantly...

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 5

Given that diesel model cost more in Europe (and in our case, higher OMV), it might be closer to $200k. If PML is in for a gamble, 216d might be a better bet, as this shall make it to cat A, and coupled with the max CEVS rebate, price could be in the $160K range.

Actually after the revision to COE categorisation in early 2014, PML is the only luxury car maker (vs Mercedes, Audi, Volvo) that do not have any cat A model, and they are loosing in market share quite significantly...

You have a point on PML not having a single car in Cat A category so they may be tempted to introduce the 216d for this model but don't you think they could and should do this for the Active Tourer as well? Unless there is no such model? Cos the Active Tourer would be even cheaper and would be a volume seller if priced well and also being a 5 seater the engine maybe just about right vs the 7 seater Gran Tourer.

• Praise 9

You have a point on PML not having a single car in Cat A category so they may be tempted to introduce the 216d for this model but don't you think they could and should do this for the Active Tourer as well? Unless there is no such model? Cos the Active Tourer would be even cheaper and would be a volume seller if priced well and also being a 5 seater the engine maybe just about right vs the 7 seater Gran Tourer.

The Active Tourer is not niche enough, and so far lukewarm reception at best. The Gran Tourer has no direct competitors at the moment, and thus a good bet. Imagine if they price it slightly below $160K, it will be closer enough to make some conti MPV (e.g. Touran, C4 Grand Picasso, 5008, etc.) buyers to jump ship. Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 5

Strange that somehow i didn't notice this thread before...

The dimension shows that it's somewhat in the same as Wish/Mazda 5, only about 10 cm wider. Might still be quite cramped, as it seems to have a bigger boot than wish. Unless the bonnet is significantly shorter, it might not have more space than wish.

Any idea when will this reach SGP?

• Praise 1

Strange that somehow i didn't notice this thread before...

The dimension shows that it's somewhat in the same as Wish/Mazda 5, only about 10 cm wider. Might still be quite cramped, as it seems to have a bigger boot than wish. Unless the bonnet is significantly shorter, it might not have more space than wish.

Any idea when will this reach SGP?

If not mistaken, it's not even launched in Europe I think? So likely will be at least 6mths or more lag time behind them I believe. Anyway, the pricing will be the determining factor if this model becomes successful and also the engine size.

Knowing BMW and PML, likely it will be priced high as they don't seem interested to create volume unlike Benz which has done abit of volume selling with their A, B and CLA class cars. My 2 cents...

• Praise 4

If not mistaken, it's not even launched in Europe I think? So likely will be at least 6mths or more lag time behind them I believe. Anyway, the pricing will be the determining factor if this model becomes successful and also the engine size.

Knowing BMW and PML, likely it will be priced high as they don't seem interested to create volume unlike Benz which has done abit of volume selling with their A, B and CLA class cars. My 2 cents...

OK… Then no point waiting to check this out...

• Praise 1

OK… Then no point waiting to check this out...

If you can wait till 3rd to 4th quarter this year, it may come and if you lucky, COE may come down then as expected by some of our forumers so double blessings but then again I feel PML not like other AD, won't price it well for newly launched models I feel.

• Praise 7

If you can wait till 3rd to 4th quarter this year, it may come and if you lucky, COE may come down then as expected by some of our forumers so double blessings but then again I feel PML not like other AD, won't price it well for newly launched models I feel.

Sigh… am undecided lor… the stupid budget announced this week apparently will result in higher car price (because of some CEV thingy?) starting July, right?

So unless the perceived COE drop will be true, and also substantial, it will otherwise be a waste to wait...

Plus, my wish now cooling coil leak… am trying to top up gas instead of replacing… Dun know how long it can last...

I ask my se on this model (7 seater) since we were looking for one, seems there is no indication that sg will be having this model so unlikely it will come in this year or even early next year. Just fyi

• Praise 3

I ask my se on this model (7 seater) since we were looking for one, seems there is no indication that sg will be having this model so unlikely it will come in this year or even early next year. Just fyi

OK thks for the info bro!!

I see some potential in this model cos no luxury brand mid size MPV available at least not from Benz and BMW so I'll be surprised if they don't bring it in. We shall see, cheers!!

• Praise 7

did u guys notice this hatchback MPV has no rear wiper?? scroll down for a rather cute design IMO, just found out today...

2014-BMW-2er-Active-Tourer-F45-218i-Spor

jump to 1:16

http://youtu.be/UVFrAfRlRyY

Edited by Dice
↡ Advertisement