2014 / 2015 BMW 2 Series Active / Gran Tourer

slickshifters

This is my first time driving a car with turbo. How do you know whether the turbo has kicked in and what are the characteristics?

Are there any ways you can force the turbo/be ready faster?

↡ Advertisement

This is my first time driving a car with turbo. How do you know whether the turbo has kicked in and what are the characteristics?

Everywhere got cameras, so fast for what?

I’m on Eco Mode also have to keep checking to ensure I don’t cross the speed limit by 15kn/h.

• Praise 1

Everywhere got cameras, so fast for what?

I’m on Eco Mode also have to keep checking to ensure I don’t cross the speed limit by 15kn/h.

Haha, i came from driving the Prius, I use eco most of the time. But sometimes, want to zoom zoom abit ma. Just for fun a few seconds.

• Praise 1

The modern turbo cars are not the same as the old ones. The modern ones are designed to provide boost at low rpms so becomes almost seamless.

The older ones have the turbo "kick" at certain rpms and also the turbo lag, which were big disadvantages of driving a turbo car.

You can tune the car to increase the boost.

(edited)

last time old engine technology comes with turbo lag ... you surely notice when turbo kick in

now with LPT (low pressure turbo), turbo kicks in as low as 1250rpm for bimmer

the lag is barely noticeable ... which is GREAT

if you want faster ... you need to chip/tune the turbo boost or get another car [laugh]

i feel many newbie thought tap on accelerator car can move swiftly (fly)

then itchy backside to install sprint booster to manipulate the gas pedal signal ... why not step abit more

you think the car is 500bhp ... tap tap accelerator it will zoom zoom meh

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

last time old engine technology comes with turbo lag ... you surely notice when turbo kick in

if you want faster ... you need to chip/tune the turbo boost or get another car [laugh]

I read about the chip/tuning, one thing I don't quite get is does it actually gives me more real torque/hp (e.g. 216i behaving like the 218i) or just more perceived power due to remapping of the pedal?

i feel many newbie thought tap on accelerator car can move swiftly (fly)

then itchy backside to install spring booster ... why not step abit more

you think the car is 500bhp ... tap tap accelerator it will zoom zoom meh

tbh the first time i engaged sports mode and moved off, i was shocked because dun hear much engine sound but the acceralation power and breathtaking to me. Maybe I sua ku but I dun think I can handle any faster car lol.

maybe ask if your SE can assist?

My SE is not even helpful. He just told me to call the normal CSO line 1800 225 5269 

Sigh...

• Praise 1

I read about the chip/tuning, one thing I don't quite get is does it actually gives me more real torque/hp (e.g. 216i behaving like the 218i) or just more perceived power due to remapping of the pedal?

tbh the first time i engaged sports mode and moved off, i was shocked because dun hear much engine sound but the acceralation power and breathtaking to me. Maybe I sua ku but I dun think I can handle any faster car lol.

Why do want to tune your ECU? Good tuner will increase hp/torque.

It is not you shaku. U had been driving Japanese car for too long.

pass the car key to our dear davidtch

he can tune the gas pedal with his right foot ... [laugh]

so not really tune the ECU but the actual engine?

sorry for my noob qns ah

Yes.

216/218 shares the same 3 pot engine.

yeah i know both share the same engine, 216 performance is an artificial limit. 

wah interested sia. this kind tuning - how much $, how does it affect warranty... how reversible?

wah interested sia. this kind tuning - how much $, how does it affect warranty... how reversible?

$$ I don't know.

1 2 mod, forget about warranty.

It is not artificially limit. There are 3 versions of same engine.

$$ I don't know.

1 2 mod, forget about warranty.

It is not artificially limit. There are 3 versions of same engine.

thanks for the info!

I'm wondering if I buy a pre-owned BMW from PPSL, and the car is only 1 year old, do I get to enjoy the 5 year warranty still?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I'm wondering if I buy a pre-owned BMW from PPSL, and the car is only 1 year old, do I get to enjoy the 5 year warranty still?

Yes.. U get the same warranty of 5yrs . However the free servicing u need to check . Unless u r buying with cash otherwise think twice . Generally pre owned car interested rate much higher . Also check the new car depreciation after the over Trade discount not fake retail price. The fake retail price is for higher loan quantum purposes. Unless the saving is two years worth of depreciation else go buy new car ..

You can do ECU tuning or install a chip. Can easy tune back to stock or remove the chip before sending back to service. Just check with the installer/shop.

But since you say you are so impressed with the sports mode, just leave it lah. When it gets boring, then do :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1