Home fires more often now due to PMDs?

Wind30

Why buy so many stuff? Did you teach your family members how to use it? If nobody at home you got all these fire fighting equipment...is it useful?

I think prevention is better and can save money. Cos you have to maintain some of the fire fighting equipment.

Make sure especially high power consumption electrical home appliances have the safety marker, Things like charger that consumes a lot of power if it comes with a 2-pin plug...convert it into 3pin(why? comes with a fuse).

Do not overload your regular 13A power sockets. Ppl like to use power adapters and load it full with electrical appliances.

How to do it? Look at how many amps or current your things consume.

Example phone charger 2A or 2 amps, fan  5A and so on.

There's a sticker with the power rating. Look for it.

Add them all up and make sure it doesn't exceed 13A.

A lot of times are ignorant ppl plug so many things into one power socket and then leave the house. Sometimes it's not solely PMD's charger at fault. It's the ppl who overload that one power socket.

If you really dumb and dunno what I'm saying then spread out the charging to other power sockets.

PMDs that comes with LTA approved stickers are usually safe. If you scared then make sure the one power socket is solely used for the PMD charging.

Things like wireless router the amp is very small usually less dan an amp. You may share the power socket with other small devices. Don't monkey see monkey do. Ppl buy all sorts of fire fighting equipment you also go and buy. Use your common sense is better lah. Like if the fridge compressor is old and starting to make a lot of noise. Dont keep on running it. Get an ice box, empty the fridge and switch it off. Go buy a new fridge. The compressor can overheat and catch fire, plus the refrigerant is flammable. So dont risk it.

Sometimes it is you who aware prevention than cure, and yet it is your neighbours who doesnt know or care and fire come from them and spread it to your house.  [:p]

Edited by 13177

Please be aware that fireblankets are made with woven fibreglass fibres........I have seen many eye irritation and severe skin irritation from the loose broken fibres that are tough to treat and resolve....

of course these are for emergency use, and thus not expected to have high incidence of the above mentioned problem....but if there are safer alternatives, I will rather use them.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fire-st-regis-residences-tanglin-orchard-scdf-evacuation-11267600

Last month my mum neighbour house caught fire. With the huge surge in mobile scooters, it seems that fires is more common now...

Do u guys have any fire protection in house like smoke detector, fire extinguishers?

Thinking of getting some...

I am keen to find out if there is cheap coverage insurance for such fire as the e scooter may be non compliant that causes such fire may not be claimable.

Edited by Sdf4786k

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fire-st-regis-residences-tanglin-orchard-scdf-evacuation-11267600

Last month my mum neighbour house caught fire. With the huge surge in mobile scooters, it seems that fires is more common now...

Do u guys have any fire protection in house like smoke detector, fire extinguishers?

At the fire incident at St Regis Residences, 1 dog died from breathing problem and at least another dog injured cos nail got caught in the perforated metal floor of the fire escape. 

Have both, including smoke hood. 1 set each at both ends of the house (living room and master bedroom)

I am keen to find out if there is cheap coverage insurance for such fire as the e scooter may be non compliant that causes such fire may not be claimable.

Recently I bought a home protection insurance from FWD to protect my rental home.  This covers renovation and home contents (since I rented out fully furnished) . It also covers rental arrears. 

FWD one can be customized online depending how much coverage  ($$$) you need.

For building and structural, that would be covered by the compulsory insurance from the bank which I had a loan on. And I think the condo mgmt also has a insurance to protect the condo against fire but I definitely would not want to depend on theirs.

Yes there are many choices for fire insurance for home contents. My costs about $200 a year.

For building and structural, that would be covered by the compulsory insurance from the bank which I had a loan on. And I think the condo mgmt also has a insurance to protect the condo against fire but I definitely would not want to depend on theirs.

Building and structure is not covered by the bank's mortgagee interest insurance. You'll see that they call it a mortgagee interest insurance and not fire insurance, because it ensures the bank gets paid but not you.

It has to be covered either by your HDB fire insurance policy or your MCST's fire insurance policy. For those that are neither HDB nor MCST, you'll need your own.

Install FM200 best.

On the contrary, even for rooms with computers, I'd rather install water sprinklers as a more reliable and effective means to put out fires.

FM200 only works if conditions are perfect and you have 1 chance.

not all fires can be fought with water especially electrical and oil fires.

Just buy a Garden Hose,attach a Water Sprayer....cheapest option,Fire Extinguisher got Expiry Date,sometime too old cannot work.

↡ Advertisement