Home fires more often now due to PMDs?

Wind30

If got spare money, can buy new bto... Coz new bto got smoke detector pre- installed!

If don't have that much money, then just buy powder fire extinguisher.

I guess most of you already know water is not really a good extinguisher in electrical fires ?

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator

Totally agree.

Best is to but ABC class fire extingusher. At least if is a electric fire, you can use too. 

https://www.lazada.sg/products/fire-extinguisher-2kg-dry-powder-type-i278517125-s430447692.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.5.7c2f5205Omj9Oy&search=1

buying fire extinguisher is like buying insurance.

you can do without one

but when you need it, it's too late.

I have a fire blanket for oil fire and a regular dry powder extinguisher.

It's not expensive, less than $100.

• Praise 1

a CO2 extinguisher is better for electrical and Oil fires which are common at home. and most importantly not messy

Dry chemical extinguishers are more compact but leave a huge mess of the residue.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

a CO2 extinguisher is better for electrical and Oil fires which are common at home. and most importantly not messy

Dry chemical extinguishers are more compact but leave a huge mess of the residue.

CO2 extinguisher can only use for electrical and oil fires? And dry chemical extinguisher can be use on more different type of fire?

CO2 extinguisher need to handle carefully.

If you dunno and you hold it wrongly, it might freeze your fingers off.

This one needs some training.

Is it expensive or allowed to install sprinklers in HDB apartments?

Do you know how a sprinkler system works, the amount of space required (for the sprinkler tank, pumps, control valves, etc.) and the cost involved? Not practical for HDB flat I would say.

And having it installed is just part of the whole equation, still need to have the entire system (including sprinkler heads and alarm panel) maintained and checked by Qualified Personnel on a regular basis.

I think having fire extinguisher at home is better, if there is any fire still can use it to stop the fire before it becomes out of control. But too bad you need to keep changing the fire extinguisher due to short expiry date.

One of the reason why manufacturer specify a shelve / service life for extinguisher is that most owner do not know how to maintain it. The powder in the extinguisher will harden and become lumpy if the set has been left in it original position for a period of time (say few months to a year).

To prolong the life span of it, just need to turn it upside down / or shake it a few times (to loosen the powder), say once a month. And if the set has been placed at humid area, do also check to make sure that the cylinder is still intact, no sign of gas leakage.

Totally agree.

Best is to but ABC class fire extingusher. At least if is a electric fire, you can use too. 

https://www.lazada.sg/products/fire-extinguisher-2kg-dry-powder-type-i278517125-s430447692.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.5.7c2f5205Omj9Oy&search=1

Oh yes, get at least a 2Kg ABC extinguisher, which can last ~10 - 15 seconds typically. The other small aerosol can size portable extinguisher are for show only, cannot last more than 3 - 5 sec. Attempt to pull out a fire using that is like trying to blow of the flame on a trick candle, if you get my point.

CO2 extinguisher need to handle carefully.

If you dunno and you hold it wrongly, it might freeze your fingers off.

This one needs some training.

CO2 extinguisher is not commonly use for home. But as long as your hand are on the discharge handle and plastics discharge horn, you will be safe from froze bite.

• Praise 13

One of the reason why manufacturer specify a shelve / service life for extinguisher is that most owner do not know how to maintain it. The powder in the extinguisher will harden and become lumpy if the set has been left in it original position for a period of time (say few months to a year).

To prolong the life span of it, just need to turn it upside down / or shake it a few times (to loosen the powder), say once a month. And if the set has been placed at humid area, do also check to make sure that the cylinder is still intact, no sign of gas leakage.

Looks like having a fire extinguisher not so simple, still must know how to maintain it, no wonder many people might find it troublesome. Not simply just buy and then leave it there. Lol. 

Do you know how a sprinkler system works, the amount of space required (for the sprinkler tank, pumps, control valves, etc.) and the cost involved? Not practical for HDB flat I would say.

And having it installed is just part of the whole equation, still need to have the entire system (including sprinkler heads and alarm panel) maintained and checked by Qualified Personnel on a regular basis.

not to mention even if its activated for a small area,the whole place will flood and be water damaged.

Internal Moderator

Yeah. Last time during my NS days, I am from Navy. They taught me some fire fighting skills that till now I still remember. Haha. 

Oh yes, get at least a 2Kg ABC extinguisher, which can last ~10 - 15 seconds typically. The other small aerosol can size portable extinguisher are for show only, cannot last more than 3 - 5 sec. Attempt to pull out a fire using that is like trying to blow of the flame on a trick candle, if you get my point.

CO2 extinguisher is not commonly use for home. But as long as your hand are on the discharge handle and plastics discharge horn, you will be safe from froze bite.

• Praise 1

If you have expired fire extinguishers

Just go make a bbq

Then use the expired one can already lor, gain practical fire extinguisher experience

When mata comes, you say fire too big, Heng got bring fire extinguisher :grin:

• Praise 7

Provided that there are people at how.

Asked this question, since most families have working parents and children I schools almost the whole day.

From the many questions here, it shows scdf has not done enough in educating public on fire prevention. You may not have a 100% prevention, at least basic knowledge helps.

In situation you have cited, best not to leave any naked fire and swtich off all your appliances before you leave you house. That is still not 100% but should be good enough.

• Praise 1

From the many questions here, it shows scdf has not done enough in educating public on fire prevention. You may not have a 100% prevention, at least basic knowledge helps.

In situation you have cited, best not to leave any naked fire and swtich off all your appliances before you leave you house. That is still not 100% but should be good enough.

Other than the fridge, I switched off all the electrical appliances, including the wifi modem. I also checked the gas stove knobs are completely turn off before leaving the house.
  • Praise 1

Other than the fridge, I switched off all the electrical appliances, including the wifi modem. I also checked the gas stove knobs are completely turn off before leaving the house.

Good but there is still small chances due to electrical short circuit, poor insulation, loose contacts, etc. You already did your best. 99% of household are save, you are already 99.9% Haha

I mean safe

• Praise 1

Good practice that you switch off every switch which not in use. Nowadays many people like to leave the wifi modem on 24/7 de.

Why buy so many stuff? Did you teach your family members how to use it? If nobody at home you got all these fire fighting equipment...is it useful?

I think prevention is better and can save money. Cos you have to maintain some of the fire fighting equipment.

Make sure especially high power consumption electrical home appliances have the safety marker, Things like charger that consumes a lot of power if it comes with a 2-pin plug...convert it into 3pin(why? comes with a fuse).

Do not overload your regular 13A power sockets. Ppl like to use power adapters and load it full with electrical appliances.

How to do it? Look at how many amps or current your things consume.

Example phone charger 2A or 2 amps, fan  5A and so on.

There's a sticker with the power rating. Look for it.

Add them all up and make sure it doesn't exceed 13A.

A lot of times are ignorant ppl plug so many things into one power socket and then leave the house. Sometimes it's not solely PMD's charger at fault. It's the ppl who overload that one power socket.

If you really dumb and dunno what I'm saying then spread out the charging to other power sockets.

PMDs that comes with LTA approved stickers are usually safe. If you scared then make sure the one power socket is solely used for the PMD charging.

Things like wireless router the amp is very small usually less dan an amp. You may share the power socket with other small devices. Don't monkey see monkey do. Ppl buy all sorts of fire fighting equipment you also go and buy. Use your common sense is better lah. Like if the fridge compressor is old and starting to make a lot of noise. Dont keep on running it. Get an ice box, empty the fridge and switch it off. Go buy a new fridge. The compressor can overheat and catch fire, plus the refrigerant is flammable. So dont risk it.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

Bad idea...especially for electrical type fire..... [sweatdrop]

Just buy a Garden Hose,attach a Water Sprayer....cheapest option,Fire Extinguisher got Expiry Date,sometime too old cannot work.

↡ Advertisement