Home fires more often now due to PMDs?

Wind30

On the contrary, even for rooms with computers, I'd rather install water sprinklers as a more reliable and effective means to put out fires.

FM200 only works if conditions are perfect and you have 1 chance.

FM200 is for data ctr and computer/server room where the gas released will not damage the rest of the unburnt equipment. Water in computer room is the biggest NO NO. Anyway i am just trolling to use FM200 at home.

↡ Advertisement

Unlike CO2 or Halotron, FM200 and Argonite are not portable fire extinguisher, but gas suppression system commonly used for server room / data centre. It work by displacing Oxygen from a room, thus stopping the fire from burning. But to allow the system to work properly, the room / area has to be fully enclosed, and once the inert gas are discharged, it in turn would pose a risk to human within the room (suffocation).

For portable fire extinguisher, ABC is more effective in putting out a fire as the powder served an insulation to prevent the combustible material from coming into contact with oxygen, but because of the powder, it can be a tedious task to clean up the mess.

Gaseous system while leaving little or no residue behind, is less effective in preventing re-ignition of the flame, as once the inert gas get diluted under windy condition, oxygen will cause the heated combustible material to burn again.

Please be aware that fireblankets are made with woven fibreglass fibres........I have seen many eye irritation and severe skin irritation from the loose broken fibres that are tough to treat and resolve....

of course these are for emergency use, and thus not expected to have high incidence of the above mentioned problem....but if there are safer alternatives, I will rather use them.

Thanks for sharing. While I am aware of the irritation associating with coming into contact with fiber glass material, I don't know it can be tough to treat and/or resolve. I learnt something today from a professional.  :a-good:

• Praise 6

For everyone else, it's good to know the fire triangle.

If you remove any 1 of the 3 elements, the fire will fail.

That's how you extinguished a fire.

220px-Fire_triangle.svg.png

Edited by Kb27

FM200 is for data ctr and computer/server room where the gas released will not damage the rest of the unburnt equipment. Water in computer room is the biggest NO NO. Anyway i am just trolling to use FM200 at home.

That is what the people who sell FM200 want you to believe. Ever seen FM200 not work like it's supposed to?

I've used both FM200 and water suppression sysems for different buildings and equipment rooms. After counting actual losses, I believe that overall, water is more effective at putting out the fire with lower risk than FM200.

I have several lithium-ion batteries (from handphones and notebooks) bloat up after I leave them on charging mode for hours. This seems to happen after they are over two years old.

Edited by Nhyone

(edited)

PMD burst into flames while charging in Woodlands flat. Teenager and firefighter suffer burns and were sent to hospital

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/fire-woodlands-flat-caused-pmd-left-charging-teenager-and-firefighter-suffer-burns

speedy recovery to the firemen.

as for that teenager is just a matter of time either on the road or another fire to waste your life.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Seems like happening more frequent now. Its a home hazard

2 HDB flats burned down by charging PMD yesterday, 1 at AMK and the other at Marine Terrace

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/2-pmd-fires-at-ang-mo-kio-marine-terrace-1-injured-11609334

Darn these pmd, not only nuisance on pathway and road. It is also fire hazard at home. Keep reading news home on fire due to pmd overcharging or using inferior battery. Haiz.

Supersonic

If PMD on fire, will kenna fire or not?

It depends, if PMD on fire burn the whole building, backside will kena fire also.

Darn these pmd, not only nuisance on pathway and road. It is also fire hazard at home. Keep reading news home on fire due to pmd overcharging or using inferior battery. Haiz.

My friend's place have one neighbour charge at common corridor.

Using common property power socket.

Stealing power is still not a priority concern...but the fire hazard is.

• Praise 1

My friend's place have one neighbour charge at common corridor.

Using common property power socket.

Stealing power is still not a priority concern...but the fire hazard is.

Pms people clever one

If tio hey sio is ah gong property not his house tio burn

Hypersonic
(edited)

Seems like happening more frequent now. Its a home hazard

2 HDB flats burned down by charging PMD yesterday, 1 at AMK and the other at Marine Terrace

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/2-pmd-fires-at-ang-mo-kio-marine-terrace-1-injured-11609334

No concern for LTA. The benefit of car lite will outweigh the suffering of those house whose were burn down. 

Can't wait till LTA show us the statistic of traffic reduction after PMD flooded the whole of singapore, while the pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement