2008 Mazda 3 Scrap or Renew 5 Years COE?

kunipao

Neutral Newbie

Hi Car Guru,

My 2008 Mazda 3 COE is coming to an end next March. I can't make up my mind should I scrap it or renew another 5 years COE. Millage up to 200K. 

- Me and my wife are currently undergoing the IVF process, so a car is very convenient for going for the appointments. But we can use Grab or taxi too.

- The most important factor that's holding me back from renewing is the condition of my car. Break isn't "tight" anymore, need longer stopping distance. And one and off have battery problem. The type where you turn the ignition and the car just gives a "kik" sound and doesn't start. Need to turn the ignition a couple times for it to start.

- Wonder how much I need to service or change the breaks and fix the battery problem? Another $5K $6K for everything?

- I heard from my friend that car nowadays don't last more than 10 years. After the 10th year you will get more and more problems.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi Car Guru,

My 2008 Mazda 3 COE is coming to an end next March. I can't make up my mind should I scrap it or renew another 5 years COE. Millage up to 200K.

- Me and my wife are currently undergoing the IVF process, so a car is very convenient for going for the appointments. But we can use Grab or taxi too.

- The most important factor that's holding me back from renewing is the condition of my car. Break isn't "tight" anymore, need longer stopping distance. And one and off have battery problem. The type where you turn the ignition and the car just gives a "kik" sound and doesn't start. Need to turn the ignition a couple times for it to start.

- Wonder how much I need to service or change the breaks and fix the battery problem? Another $5K $6K for everything?

- I heard from my friend that car nowadays don't last more than 10 years. After the 10th year you will get more and more problems.

Repair n maintenence of mazda3 should be quite OK. Send to a trusted workshop to have it fully checked to see what will be the likely repairs n big ticket items to come. If the car still road worthy for 5years, just renew 5yr coe. Now coe is cheap, better than getting new ride.

Neutral Newbie

Repair n maintenence of mazda3 should be quite OK. Send to a trusted workshop to have it fully checked to see what will be the likely repairs n big ticket items to come. If the car still road worthy for 5years, just renew 5yr coe. Now coe is cheap, better than getting new ride.

Thanks for the reply Yeshe! Most probably I will renew another 5 years then. Your statement about now COE is cheap really struck a chord. 

• Praise 2

Thanks for the reply Yeshe! Most probably I will renew another 5 years then. Your statement about now COE is cheap really struck a chord.

@yeshe pay everything full cash ... dont mind him. I help u kick his tyre next time .
  • Praise 5

Welcome, glad I can be of help.

@yeshe pay everything full cash ... dont mind him. I help u kick his tyre next time . ð¤£

U kick tyre foot not pain? I let u kick until u song next time OK? :D

Brake can send to a mechanic for a check, an old car does not mean would take longer distance to brake

Your start problem more like a starter problem, a recon one will probably cost about $500? Or cheaper..

Edited by Ct3833

Neutral Newbie

Brake can send to a mechanic for a check, an old car does not mean would take longer distance to brake

Your start problem more like a starter problem, a recon one will probably cost about $500? Or cheaper..

Thanks for the advice. Hahaha...that's why was on the fence on renewing COE or not. Got this kind of problem here and there...even though I always diligently bring it for servicing according to the servicing millage. And time to get a car camcorder  [:p]

Previously when braking, especially when it's wet, the brakes will make a 'woo woo' sound, like those lorry when braking. Luckily now not happening anymore for a long time. 

Hopefully it's just starter problem and not some wiring problem.

My Toyota Altis left with 3 weeks Of COE. Mileage 120k. Cannot decide if I should let it go now or renew 5 years first then let it go later maybe 6 months later. But not sure how it will affect the car value. Honestly, I’m not ready to let go the car within a week time yet. Appreciate guru’s advice

• Praise 1

The decision on whether to renew COE for bnb Japanese cars is more of a financial decision as most of the technical problems can be fixed economically. Buying a new car requires much cash upfront and in a near-recession like now, it may be prudent to hold back a major purchase. The money saved upfront may however be needed to cover the higher maintenance and repair costs, road tax, vehicle inspection etc. but you should still be able to save quite a bit of money. You will also need to have available time off to fix these issues. It is common to see 20-30 years old Toyotas being driven around in Indonesia. But if you are driving a big continental car, then you will need to assess the condition of the car and consider more carefully as repairs will be more costly.

• Praise 3

Hi Car Guru,

wrong post

Edited by Old-driver

My Toyota Altis left with 3 weeks Of COE. Mileage 120k. Cannot decide if I should let it go now or renew 5 years first then let it go later maybe 6 months later. But not sure how it will affect the car value. Honestly, Iâm not ready to let go the car within a week time yet. Appreciate guruâs advice

I suggest to renew your COE for 10 years if possible. Don't spend too much money on cars.
  • Praise 2

My Toyota Altis left with 3 weeks Of COE. Mileage 120k. Cannot decide if I should let it go now or renew 5 years first then let it go later maybe 6 months later. But not sure how it will affect the car value. Honestly, I’m not ready to let go the car within a week time yet. Appreciate guru’s advice

altis = toyota = build like a tank = reliable = last forever

what is there to consider? just renew for 10 years. you can easily sell off an altis down the road anyway. 

• Praise 3

Extend 10 years will be the good choice. Depre for the next 10 years will be minimal even if you need big repair. Unless you prefer new car, then just buy. Altis can easily take on another 10 years.

*I’m driving a 12 years old Wish.

• Praise 2

Your Toyota Altis should have good car body value ($2k or more).  If the condition of the car is still good, should consider extending COE.  In fact, quite a lot of Toyota Altis owners extended COEs in May and June this year where the PQP is $26-27k, ahead of the COE expiry in later part of 2019.

• Praise 1

Thanks Gurus! Appreciate all the comments. I’m most likely not getting a new car. I probably only need the car for another couple of months to a year. But if I’m going to lose more value with the renewal than I rather let it go now.

• Praise 1

Hi Car Guru,

2008 Car COE ends 2020.?Your Car COE 12 Years.? [confused]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1