Record number of motorists keeping car beyond 10 years

Mockngbrd

With this sort of article coming out (unlike in 2009), prob some shit gonna happen courtesy of Gahmen. Better beware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/aswgqw/record_number_of_motorists_keeping_car_beyond_10/

SINGAPORE - A record 37,114 certificates of entitlement (COEs) were extended beyond their 10-year lifespan last year - about 20 per cent more than in 2017, the previous record year.

The trend was fuelled largely by relatively low certificate of entitlement premiums, which had hovered at their lowest in five to eight years during the year.

About 57 per cent of extensions were for cars up to 1,600cc. The rest were for cars above 1,600cc, for which most owners chose a 10-year extension, unlike the other group.

Freelance writer Lionel Seah, 62, said extending the COE of his BMW 525i was a "no-brainer". He paid close to $38,000 for a 10-year extension, forgoing at the same time the car's scrap rebate of around $28,000.

"So it works out to be just over $6,000 per year of depreciation over the next 10 years," Mr Seah said. "If I bought a new 5-series, it would have cost me $250,000 - or an annual depreciation of over $20,000.

"That's three times more. It's mind-boggling."

Furthermore, he said his car is still "running sweet... and creamy".

Besides minor wear-and-tear parts, he said he did not replace anything. "Surprisingly, there are no cracks or tears on the leather upholstery even," he added.

Lawyer Sarjeet Singh, 53, topped up the COE on his Mini Cooper S by 10 years last year too, describing it as "the best decision" he has made.

"This is the last of the supercharged engines," he said, adding that its reliability has been "bullet proof".

Like Mr Seah, he only had to replace wear-and-tear parts like suspension bushings and engine mounts. "The upholstery is in mint condition," he noted.

Workshops also saw an uptick in business from motorists who had decided to keep their old rides.

Mr Joey Lim, managing director of independent workshop Harmony Motor, said the number of such customers "more than doubled" last year.

"These cars are usually those with good engines and transmissions," Mr Lim said. "Mostly, the owners will just change all the fluids, shock absorbers and some other undercarriage parts."

The COE renewal trend has contributed to this year's reduction in COE supply, which is determined largely by number of cars scrapped. Observers said if all those who extended COEs had scrapped their cars instead, COE supply would grow, not shrink.

Motor traders reckon the number of COE renewals will dip this year if COE prices continue to rise. They also pointed out there are fewer cars reaching 10 years of age than last year - 60,000 this year compared to 80,000 in 2018.

post-26533-0-94270700-1550719167_thumb.png

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Ya man ... wait for another round of Re-think

its actually their own undoing. i would raise PARF, once the PARF is high. less people will renew. which i think they are sort of doing now with the VES, as it caps the number of 20k and 10k rebates and keeping PARF high. 

in the 80s. PARF for 1600 was 11.2k, 2000cc was 29k, then 43k for big cc.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

And the number of COE renewal is expected to jump even higher when cars with $2.5K to <$10K PARF hit the 10 years mark, no thanks to the CEVS scheme. One of my neighbour have a Honda Vezel with $2.5K PARF, and imagine paying say $30K for COE and drive it for another 10 years, cheap like sh*t...  [cool]

Scholars at LTA better work double hard to think of some scheme to stop that from happening. [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 7

To let peasants internalise the pollution costs:  Road tax for cars above 10 years will soon skyrocket

[:p]   

Anything anywhere can makan they sure jiak!

No only jiak, but jiak gao gao!  [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 2

its actually their own undoing. i would raise PARF, once the PARF is high. less people will renew. which i think they are sort of doing now with the VES, as it caps the number of 20k and 10k rebates and keeping PARF high.

in the 80s. PARF for 1600 was 11.2k, 2000cc was 29k, then 43k for big cc.

If not for the VES, more people would have opted for newer cars which may have better engine technologies with cleaner emissions a decade ago.

Some silly policies are just so contradictory.

If scrap value is too low, I would rather renew coe too, especially if overall car is still running good

Freelance writer Lionel Seah, 62, said extending the COE of his BMW 525i was a "no-brainer". He paid close to $38,000 for a 10-year extension, forgoing at the same time the car's scrap rebate of around $28,000.

$28k scrap value  [laugh]

• Praise 2

To let peasants internalise the pollution costs: Road tax for cars above 10 years will soon skyrocket

[:p]

Maybe they might change the progressiveness of the higher roadtax and just whack 150% after 10th year. For sure it will cut down on some 5year coe renewals.

Renewed 10 years but car conked out twice in 2 months [sweatdrop]

boh pian have to [rifle][smallcry]

But new Corolla fuel consumption is better than Sunny lah.

Ok la. Old don’t go, new won’t come.

Maybe they might change the progressiveness of the higher roadtax and just whack 150% after 10th year. For sure it will cut down on some 5year coe renewals.

150% isn’t really a deterrent. It increases the monthly cost by $50

That works out to $2 more a day.

1 mrt ride is already close to $2

$28k scrap value [laugh]

He think that his BMW will perform flawlessly for the next 10 years with no repair needed.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2