Record number of motorists keeping car beyond 10 years

Mockngbrd

Turbocharged

The best cars to renew COE are those going for their 2nd 10 year renewals, with no PARF to forgo. Very safe bet. If anything goes wrong or there's no spare parts, simply scrap and get back pro rated COE.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The challenge in extending the car lifespan  is after a year or two later, need to scratch the itch but the old car can’t fetch anything more than the pro rated PQP paid. 

foregone parf plus the paid PQP would make the losses a greater bitter pill to swallow 

Turbocharged

Bread and butter cars with PARF averaging $2.5K to $6K is still quite ok to forgo. At current PQP, adds up to less than $40K to drive for 10 more years.

3rd party insurance is also much cheaper. Don't need to bother about dents.

Really silly to forgo PARF and renew 5 years COE.

• Haha! 1

After reading feb/19 on renewing COE for 10 years, I came to my own conclusion on 2/3 of my previous rides ( not to renew car coming to 10 yrs period )

Passat CC- 1.8Lit,This car has loads of issues on Megatronic/ repaired but relapsed 3 Xs, EPC, Spark Plugs, air filter, shock absorber, last 3 months she died on me, should have got the 2.0lit, no much issue tun 1.8lit Result: Scrapped ( got back $15, 596 plus COE rebates )

Harrier 2359cc- Nice ride, no much issue, normal wear and tear, change battery , shock absorber, water pump, bushing, engine starter, new tyres/ Result; Scrapped ( Got back good sum, body was $3K exported to Middle east due to high demand, Scrap dealer told me the SUV to be used as carrier during the war conflicts )

Tiguan 2.0Lit - Compact SUV were a work horse like the Harrier, the hotter the engine, it performed best result, however, EPC main causes of issue, changed battery, shock absorbers, Intake manifold, fan belt, belt tensioner, brake pad, brake disc ) Result: Scrapped, Got back $12,950 inclusive of COE rebates, insurance and additional body alone was $2.5K. ( Did all paperwork myself with LTA ) sent car to scrap dealer and he paid me cash on body alone.

All the damages were not ex, coz i go get it direct from authorised distributer, like GoldenLink Auto and Toyota Authorised dealer, I have my own 2-4 local workshops all over Singapore and 2 w/s in JB.

All my last 3 cars, I never considered extending COE due to this factors which I had to do; Annual car inspection, 10 % increment Road Tax, 10% increment car insurance and I don't like the idea of paying G to tell me that to do, simply thy have earn more than enough from us, yet old cars can result in more issues after 10 yrs expiry, no guaranteed its health care from 11 years thereafter, both Conti and Japs. are almost the same. Heng suay la [:p]

** German Car cannot withstand our weather condition but high on Parf / OMV

^^ Japanese car are lighter to drive, easy to manage, Lower Parf/ Avg Average OMV

So Folks, here's my conclusion for NOT renewing COE after 10 years, besides A good used car of 4-5 years left to drive gives ma an informed decision option to consider,  carefully on: Make, Original Stock cond, Modified and less problem free, Remb this 1 owner car may NOT be a good car since the 1st owner, drive less mileage does not equate to keep car in good condition, At least 2 /3 owners car, you can tell by the wear and tear of the car visually and engine condition, I normally ask to be sent to my w/s to verify check. A lower mileage for 5 years car are less likely to be under 100-120Km, if its under used car dealer, highly likely it has been tweaked.

A trip to Vicom is not worth either, its jus a report on visual inspection, by hoisting it up cant detect much, they will tell U some leak here / there, possibility of brake pad worn or engine mounting shaken , one has to decide to park 3-4K after you buy direct from Owner ( no lemon law here ). there goes your $$$ inspection fees. . .

Last, it also depends on your pain threshold, resourcefulness of sourcing parts etc 

Gooday [drivingcar]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

It's worth to renew COE for bread and butter Jap/Korean cars a sthe PARK is low, up to $6K only.

When you buy a brand new car, you are repaying all the nonsense taxes all over again, which is higher than PARF forgone when you renew COE - Additional Registration Fee (additional surcharge if your OMV is above $20K), 20% excise duty, 9% GST. 

Edited by Vinceng

Twincharged
10 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

It's worth to renew COE for bread and butter Jap/Korean cars a sthe PARK is low, up to $6K only.

When you buy a brand new car, you are repaying all the nonsense taxes all over again, which is higher than PARF forgone when you renew COE - Additional Registration Fee (additional surcharge if your OMV is above $20K), 20% excise duty, 9% GST. 

How much extra would you pay for a genuine low mileage 40k(service record etc) car vs one with 180k km to renew coe. assuming it is the exact model and color, both 1 owner etc.

Turbocharged
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

How much extra would you pay for a genuine low mileage 40k(service record etc) car vs one with 180k km to renew coe. assuming it is the exact model and color, both 1 owner etc.

Additional 5% of the selling price for the low mileage car. Car parts have a lifespan irregardless of usage / mileage, and need to be replaced.

If the 180,000km genuine mileage car is serviced at regular intervals with wear and tear parts replaced according to schedule, with majority of mileage done on the highway, it can be a good buy too.

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement