New offences and harsher penalties for irresponsible motoris

Mason016

https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=n&AID=20741

New ruling coming... Due to more reckless driving?

New offences and harsher penalties for irresponsible motorists

Powered By: THE STRAITS TIMES

21 Feb 2019

Irresponsible motorists will face harsher penalties, as new dangerous and careless driving offences will be created.

Two new classes of road traffic offences - dangerous driving and careless driving - will be created in a bid to deter irresponsible motorists, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said on Thursday (21 February). This is in tandem with the ministry's plans to impose harsher penalties for serious offences where motorists show egregious driving behaviour and cause serious harm to victims, such as in drink-driving cases.

Two new classes of road traffic offences will be created to deter irresponsible motorists

In a statement on Thursday, MHA said it will be enhancing the criminal penalties and raising the composition fine sums for these offences. Dangerous driving offences will be distinguished from careless driving based on the manner of driving, such as whether the motorist was driving at excessively high speeds or manoeuvring his vehicle in very close proximity to other vehicles, MHA added. Other factors include whether the motorist was sleep-deprived when driving or was not in a state to drive safely, and whether the situation required the motorist to exercise extra care but he had failed to do so.

The two new offences under the Road Traffic Act will correspond broadly to offences of rash act and negligent act under the Penal Code. Each offence will have four tiers of severity, catering to different levels of harm caused - death; grievous hurt; hurt; and endangering a life.

The number of summonses issued has risen in the past five years, despite fewer road traffic accidents

With the changes, those found guilty of dangerous driving could face a maximum jail term of eight years for the first offence, up from the corresponding current penalty of five years. Offenders will also face a minimum sentence of at least a year, if death or grievous hurt is caused. The jail sentence will be doubled for repeat offenders. The courts will also be able to impose a minimum disqualification period of eight years if there was death or grievous hurt.

As for careless driving, those convicted will soon face up to three years' jail for the first offence, with sentences for repeated offenders doubled. This is up from the current jail term of a maximum of six months for first-time offenders.

The MHA said it will be enhancing the criminal penalties and raising the composition fine sums for such offences

"The basis for higher penalties is that motorists, being in control of a vehicle that they know can potentially cause great harm to other road users, ought to exercise greater care and responsibility," MHA said in the statement. Motorists found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while committing these offences will also face additional penalties. From 1 April, the ministry will also be raising the composition fine sums for road traffic offences involving motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

The ministry's move to strengthen deterrence against irresponsible driving behaviour comes amid a growing number of public feedback on such cases in recent years. The number of summonses issued has also risen, despite fewer road traffic accidents seen in the las five years, MHA added. There were 22% fewer fatal accidents last year, compared with 2014. Similarly, the number of injury accidents dipped 3.6% during this period. However, between 2014 and last year, the number of feedback submitted by the public to the Traffic Police on irresponsible driving more than doubled, from 6,900 to 18,500. Between 2015 and 2018, the number of summonses issued by the Traffic Police rose by a fifth, from 152,700 to 181,000. In the light of this, MHA conducted a review of penalties under the Road Traffic Act to further improve road safety.

Edited by Lotr

Offenders will also face a minimum sentence of at least a year, if death or grievous hurt is caused. 

If e-riders come suddenly from nowhere in front of the car resulting in death or grievous hurt then also have to serve 1 year minimum jail ?   [shocked] 

be careful guys... "minimum" is the key here ( not upto) 

I think people need to use common sense sense lah.

If the e rider bangs you and it's not your fault then I don't expect to be charged at all.

Why people always bring up stupid examples huh?

:D

“ Dangerous driving offences will be distinguished from careless driving based on the manner of driving, such as whether the motorist was driving at excessively high speeds or manoeuvring his vehicle in very close proximity to other vehicles, MHA added.“

So now tailgating is considered as dangerous driving?

Still not harsh enough, knowing how defiant Singapore drivers can be.

In my opinion, we should make it easier for drivers to get their license suspended for acts that have seen drastic accidents. I'm talking about beating the red light etc. With a mere fine (even when the fine had been doubled), I still see alot of drivers tempting fate an endangering the lives of others. That sent only one message - they're not afraid of the fines.

The law is still imbalanced with unequal amount of responsibilities - the bullk of it on car drivers still. As long as this don't change, errant pedestrians/motorcyclists will continue with their stupid behaviors on the road. I am not afraid to use the word "stupid" here because I can easily get driving again after my suspension ends or retake my course/test after the ban expires. But if they break an arm or leg (or even death), I love to see if their limbs can be attached back or re-grow after 3-5 years on.

• Praise 1

I mean who determines if an offence has occurred.

Granted today we have video devices that makes judgement easier than after action detective work of yesteryear, its still judgement calls most of the time.

There are extenuating circumstances and figured misrepresentations in all but the most straighforward cases.

I believe Mr Ravinged that stupid is as stupid does. The driver has lost awareness that they can kill when they operate the vehicle. This negative attitude makes the driver predispose to dangerous or careless acts.

I believe the Traffic law should have the added caveat of death penalty. It would add punch and bite to the driver to be really aware that no matter how monied they are, its very real for them to face the death penalty -- in the Ma Chi case, the corpse should be hung for the nonsense he did.

With the death penalty the Romanian diplomat would find it that much harder to run, although he snookered himself.

I am not saying must dp all major offences but leave the knife on the table.

Its the best deterrent knowing even if you survive a wreck, investigation might kill you.

Guys you remember the illegal rental case whereby a fake id was used to rent the vehicle that resulted in the rear ending of a scooter/ motorcycle. The wife/mother died? The rascal and his passenger knew he used the fake id. The fly by night rental company also did not ensure correct id and rented the car.

To me it is gross negligence without due regard to law or society which resulted in needless death.

This rascal should be shown the death penalty and not the meaningless punishments touted so as to drive home safety mindset before operating the car.

That being said,

The other day,

I had a delivery rider cut across my path at a traffic crossing that was loaded with pedestrians looking at their handphones, as well as an impatient cab honking at me back. Without video evidence, its only words. With video evidence, it still can be argued that it is my fault due to the dynamic situation and the judgement call i made in stopping as i noticed the delivery rider initiate his dangerous act from my blindspot on my right rear to cut immediately to my front left, right at the traffic crossing.

I was going slow because i recognize the head down handphone gazing zombie gait of the modern Singaporean at the traffic crossing.

The traffic law should also include death penalty punishment for pedestrians, cyclists and pmd users.

Ask the ps law wife, she will tell you her constituency has jaywalkers, cyclists going against traffic flow, speeding pmd users up the wazoo. Not to mention the parking on chevron lines, illegal reversal against the flow of traffic, obstruction of bus stops and recently i think Sep 2018 fatal accident involving late night happy happy jalan jalan jaywalking.

In fact the revision is inadequate by Ms Sun's team. Do look into the death penalty. Especially for crazed pickup drivers charging red light or heavy truck drivers playing a fool in the MCE tunnels. Plus impatient drivers and motorcyclists who lane split and overtakes way too close to my bumpers.

Changi organ harvest, its nice for the dead to donate their life.

↡ Advertisement