Door falls onto woman at Alexandra Central Mall

Yamapi

Don't move someone if u suspect them of having head or neck injury.

For the major injuries reported by the newspaper, move here and there a bit while getting her out or checking if she's OK, isn't really going to make it worse.

we were taught to do a head to toes check (swap) for any visible external injuries (example: fracture) at SMM. I reckon minimal movement for the causalty should be OK? If visible protruding injuries than I think should be zero movement.

Right? Wrong?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

last time that area was Bukit Merah SAFRA right?

Alexandra Central Mall has been quite empty ever since it was completed and opened

with this accident, probably will continue to be a ghost town

• Praise 1

last time that area was Bukit Merah SAFRA right?

Alexandra Central Mall has been quite empty ever since it was completed and opened

with this accident, probably will continue to be a ghost town

Yes SAFRA it's always empty can find parking easily and the carpark doors are ultra heavy.

Don't move someone if u suspect them of having head or neck injury.

For the major injuries reported by the newspaper, move here and there a bit while getting her out or checking if she's OK, isn't really going to make it worse.

What should passer-by do when you see someone got knock, fall or crashed onto their head or neck since cannot move them?

we were taught to do a head to toes check (swap) for any visible external injuries (example: fracture) at SMM. I reckon minimal movement for the causalty should be OK? If visible protruding injuries than I think should be zero movement.

Right? Wrong?

Yes

Do a quick spinal assessment and if any visible bony protrusion or deformity, do not touch.

What they did was immed jerk her up. God knows what else could have transpired there

• Praise 4

Yes

Do a quick spinal assessment and if any visible bony protrusion or deformity, do not touch.

What they did was immed jerk her up. God knows what else could have transpired there

A lot of ill informed good hearted people. If I was there I would have shouted not to move her.

Experienced a road traffic accident where I saw a pillion rider splayed face down with arms and legs at an odd angle. Told people not to move her. Could only give her oxygen as she was semi concious . And when SCDF came told the ambulance officer that suspected spinal injury and they used a metal stretcher scoop to lift her up. Was serving as a medic at pasir laba then. Always wondered what happened to the pillion.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

What should passer-by do when you see someone got knock, fall or crashed onto their head or neck since cannot move them?

I would help to move her if she is able to speak and is ok for someone to help move herself.

Else call 995 immediately and make sure she is breathing and has pulse. If no pulse, breathing then do a risk accessment to move her to a cpr position.

Correct doctors?

• Praise 2

Yes

The debatable question should we or should we not fault those civic minded smaritian?

I am in the later camp. We should not fault them as 9 out of 10 facing such sceniro will likewise will react the same way.

• Praise 3

Not a doctor but looking at the injuries update, is it right to assume that they passerby made things worse by moving her?

I did not know this and seeing how people praised the helpful passerby , a lot of us did not know this.

Super impt in case anyone meet a similar situation.

Whether the passerby worsen the injuries by moving her (let say sitting her up) we won't know.

In my view we should not fault those passerby as 9 out of 10 will react the same way under such sceniro.

I think the ppl present acted on instinct. They dont have the luxury of time or have x-ray vision to see that multiple fractures and ruptured liver. The poor lady is probably in shock at that time and adrenaline rushing thru her body, probably didn't felt the pain until the adrenaline worn off.

It's after more info came out that more ppl say not to move her....who would have known the door would be so destructive?

• Praise 3

I would help to move her if she is able to speak and is ok for someone to help move herself.

Else call 995 immediately and make sure she is breathing and has pulse. If no pulse, breathing then do a risk accessment to move her to a cpr position.

Correct doctors?

Of course no problem for you but to general public not many know how to check for pulse/respiration not to mention AED if there is one near by.

In my view the most important is to ascertain his/her consciousness (responses). Call for ambulance.

Edited by Kopites

The debatable question should we or should we not fault those civic minded smaritian?

I am in the later camp. We should not fault them as 9 out of 10 facing such sceniro will likewise will react the same way.

Do we have good Samaritan law?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/no-need-good-samaritan-law-here-indranee-rajah

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/news/parliamentary-speeches-and-responses/written-answer-by-minister-for-law-k-shanmugam-to-parliamentary-question-on-the-introduction-of-a.html

Not sure if these responses are even logical. I will be cautious about providing assistance.

Happened in year 2014 Westmall. Anyone remember this case?

This one was the boy pushed the door beyond it's opening limit. 

Alexandra Central's case is probably due to incorrect/poor maintenance. I have seen some of these fire door there being maintained several time....probably due to alignment or hinges problem. 

• Praise 2

Well what is new? We have seen our authority adopting similar approach when dealing with such leaked video / photo / info... didn't we?

From security and safety point of view, I do understand that such leak may to a certain extend, affect security and privacy of the organisation / personnel involved (and even hinder the investigation process), thus may be dealt with under PDPA.

But to take the issue to the media, instead of providing timely updates about the incident (status of investigation, actions taken, etc) and the conditions of the injured?!  [furious]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6