Door falls onto woman at Alexandra Central Mall

Yamapi

So the priority of the mall is to take action against the person that leaked the video and not reassuring general public they have checked all the doors/safety?

I have never step iinside that mall even though I reside 10 mimutes drive away. For me and family safety I doubt we will be going there any times soon.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

So the priority of the mall is to take action against the person that leaked the video and not reassuring general public they have checked all the doors/safety?

I have never step iinside that mall even though I reside 10 mimutes drive away. For me and family safety I doubt we will be going there any times soon.

thats a tad drastic, but fair enough, its to raise a point.

Safety should not be taken for granted. While I do believe that its in the interest of everyone to have a safe working environment, even those e scooter that goes zipping around did not incur more stringent approached in the interest of public safety.

I sense that with the media reply and investigation going on, they may have been advised by the management to go via a PR spoke person.

I am sure most of us have been warned at one time or another that speaking to the media without seeking approval will be taken to task.

My take on this is what goes on in the mind of the person would probably be like this.

Media - Whats your take on the video that has gone viral.

Interviewee : ??? hmm..

oh that video should have been approved first before anything. we will take action on the person who leak the video.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

apparently the video was taken from the security cctv and only their personnel has access to. From management view they are not wrong.

Not necessary security personnel only. Nowadays cctv do has an app that allow handphone access. Just download the program and obatain the password. Work just like our incar camera.

I am sure some management staff and security personnel do has access to such cctv footage.

thats a tad drastic, but fair enough, its to raise a point.

Safety should not be taken for granted. While I do believe that its in the interest of everyone to have a safe working environment, even those e scooter that goes zipping around did not incur more stringent approached in the interest of public safety.

I sense that with the media reply and investigation going on, they may have been advised by the management to go via a PR spoke person.

I am sure most of us have been warned at one time or another that speaking to the media without seeking approval will be taken to task.

There is no need for the management to take to social media to reveal for wanting to track the source of cctv. Bear in mind that this video are already splash all over on national MSM. Maybe oversea as well just like we seeing those china accident footage. They can do it in their own capacity.

What are the messages mall management trying to put across? Ensuring/reassuring the general public or forewarn not to share the video footage. Priority all wrong.

apparently the video was taken from the security cctv and only their personnel has access to. From management view they are not wrong.

I very much doubt those front line security personnel has access to download the cctv footage come to think of it.

A very high chance this video was download and shared among office staffs in personal capacity. You know how such news spread in office. Boom..leak out..

There is no need for the management to take to social media to reveal for wanting to track the source of cctv. Bear in mind that this video are already splash all over on national MSM. Maybe oversea as well just like we seeing those china accident footage. They can do it in their own capacity.

What are the messages mall management trying to put across? Ensuring/reassuring the general public or forewarn not to share the video footage. Priority all wrong.

yup.

agree...

Probably first thing that came to mind was like the HIV and did not bode well with the thinking mechanism.

Next would be the usual reply If at all any would be.

This should not have happen and the mall is looking into what cause the accident to happen.

The investigation is still ongoing. Once we know, I am sure you be the first one to know as well.

Not necessary security personnel only. Nowadays cctv do has an app that allow handphone access. Just download the program and obatain the password. Work just like our incar camera.

I am sure some management staff and security personnel do has access to such cctv footage.

I mean this video clip was apparently using handphone to take from the security source, that is a breach liao.

unless this video was taken by the customer's family while the management show them what had happened.

Copied and pasted. From your link..

If truth than the management make take the blame. Faulty for months and yet no rectification done?

------------------------------------

Glass door was already faulty

According to Lianhe Wanbao, a restaurant owner at Alexandra Central Mall shared that one of the glass doors at that carpark lift lobby had allegedly been slanted for a few months.

Whenever the two glass doors closed, they would hit with a loud sound. Another shopper also shared the same comment about the glass door.

A consultant from Singapore Renovation Contractors and Material Suppliers Association (RCMA) estimated that that fallen door weighs at least 50kg.

He also speculated that the screws on this fallen door might have loosened after knocking against the other door for a while.

He also shared that commercial malls will usually be prompted to check on the doors only upon receiving feedback.

The management said it is looking into the matter seriously. A contractor has been engaged to check on all its glass doors.

• Praise 3

Wa lao... never can imagine this happening.

I quickly forwarded to my kids and also showed my parents last night. Told them to stand further away from any such glass - or metal - doors when they go out.

Hope the lady is not v badly hurt an can have a full recovery quickly.

Good luck to the mall and the relevant contractor...

It has to be further than the height of the door. If the door is 6.5 feet high, and, you are standing about 6 feet from the opening, when the door falls, the impact will be even more severe when the falling panel is taking the full swing!

• Praise 4

If truth than the management make take the blame. Faulty for months and yet no rectification done?

According to Lianhe Wanbao, a restaurant owner at Alexandra Central Mall shared that one of the glass doors at that carpark lift lobby had allegedly been slanted for a few months.

Whenever the two glass doors closed, they would hit with a loud sound. Another shopper also shared the same comment about the glass door.

A consultant from Singapore Renovation Contractors and Material Suppliers Association (RCMA) estimated that that fallen door weighs at least 50kg.

He also speculated that the screws on this fallen door might have loosened after knocking against the other door for a while.

He also shared that commercial malls will usually be prompted to check on the doors only upon receiving feedback.

The management said it is looking into the matter seriously. A contractor has been engaged to check on all its glass doors.

That is pure negligence! The two door panels should not be hitting each other. When the alignment is out, it indicates something is very wrong at the hinge already. This type of door, the pin that sits into the slot is only a few mms deep!

From the video, the alignment of the door panel is out so much that it is slanting and hit by the right panel! 

The key question here is: Did those that claim the door have not been working well feedback to the building management about the issue? It is the easy to state the problem, especially after an incident have occurred, but have they done anything to prevent it?

I am not saying that the building management / facilities team or it contractor carry no responsibility for the accident, but situation may have been different if the feedback reach them timely. Preventive maintenance is carried out periodically, say once a month, once a quarter, bi-annually, etc. and if the screw or shaft get dislodged / damage on the day after PM was carried out, the same thing would have happened (without someone feeding back to the team).

That is why it is important for us as a general public, to reach out to the relevant party when we spot a hazard (unsafe condition / unsafe act). I have done that many times, alerting the cleaner to clean up spill at shopping mall, requesting passerby for help to pour water into dustbin cos I see smoke coming out from it, pop in to the building management office to report popping tiles at staircase, etc. 

I know some will think that it is easier say than done, but think about it, the next victim could be you or someone close to you...

• Praise 10

The door was said to be not working well for a few month, building management would have known already through their routine works. These doors are expensive and hard to replace. Even a new one can spoil after some time if the root cause was due to misuse or "vandalism".

The key question here is: Did those that claim the door have not been working well feedback to the building management about the issue? It is the easy to state the problem, especially after an incident have occurred, but have they done anything to prevent it?

I am not saying that the building management / facilities team or it contractor carry no responsibility for the accident, but situation may have been different if the feedback reach them timely. Preventive maintenance is carried out periodically, say once a month, once a quarter, bi-annually, etc. and if the screw or shaft get dislodged / damage on the day after PM was carried out, the same thing would have happened (without someone feeding back to the team).

That is why it is important for us as a general public, to reach out to the relevant party when we spot a hazard (unsafe condition / unsafe act). I have done that many times, alerting the cleaner to clean up spill at shopping mall, requesting passerby for help to pour water into dustbin cos I see smoke coming out from it, pop in to the building management office to report popping tiles at staircase, etc. 

I know some will think that it is easier say than done, but think about it, the next victim could be you or someone close to you...

• Praise 6

She's in great pain and need morphine. Must be very very painful. Poor thing.

This makes me think of Aloysious Pang. His pain must be many many times worse than her. Poor boy. :(

From the article, I read that her liver was compressed til it bleed. Sound very serious.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3