Door falls onto woman at Alexandra Central Mall

Yamapi

horse back cannon.

door came down then start to check all doors.

Maintenance crew has to take the fall for it if what was written is true.

But security will kanah first....
↡ Advertisement

The key question here is: Did those that claim the door have not been working well feedback to the building management about the issue? It is the easy to state the problem, especially after an incident have occurred, but have they done anything to prevent it?

I am not saying that the building management / facilities team or it contractor carry no responsibility for the accident, but situation may have been different if the feedback reach them timely. Preventive maintenance is carried out periodically, say once a month, once a quarter, bi-annually, etc. and if the screw or shaft get dislodged / damage on the day after PM was carried out, the same thing would have happened (without someone feeding back to the team).

That is why it is important for us as a general public, to reach out to the relevant party when we spot a hazard (unsafe condition / unsafe act). I have done that many times, alerting the cleaner to clean up spill at shopping mall, requesting passerby for help to pour water into dustbin cos I see smoke coming out from it, pop in to the building management office to report popping tiles at staircase, etc. 

I know some will think that it is easier say than done, but think about it, the next victim could be you or someone close to you...

unfortunately, most of these "feedback channels" are manned by bots or ppl who simply collect feedback but don't do anything about it.

how many times have you feedback about something and the other party did something positive about it ?

on our part, we can only highlight (aka complain) then leave it to the other party to decide.

* I am a regular newspaper forum complainer.

• Praise 3

This mall is already like a dead town. I think can tear down and build condo next to the hotel better.

With this incident, really sayonara.

• Praise 1

The key question here is: Did those that claim the door have not been working well feedback to the building management about the issue? It is the easy to state the problem, especially after an incident have occurred, but have they done anything to prevent it?

I am not saying that the building management / facilities team or it contractor carry no responsibility for the accident, but situation may have been different if the feedback reach them timely. Preventive maintenance is carried out periodically, say once a month, once a quarter, bi-annually, etc. and if the screw or shaft get dislodged / damage on the day after PM was carried out, the same thing would have happened (without someone feeding back to the team).

That is why it is important for us as a general public, to reach out to the relevant party when we spot a hazard (unsafe condition / unsafe act). I have done that many times, alerting the cleaner to clean up spill at shopping mall, requesting passerby for help to pour water into dustbin cos I see smoke coming out from it, pop in to the building management office to report popping tiles at staircase, etc.

I know some will think that it is easier say than done, but think about it, the next victim could be you or someone close to you...

Just a little comment. Don't disagree with you but I think the reason why some people don't feedback is they do not know the consequences of not giving feedback and not wanting to be a "bad guy".

Unless the door was really slanted, most of us will just live and let live when there is a bit of noise when the doors shut cos it's just irritating and it doesnt strike our mind that the door can fall and hit and possibly kill someone.

So bottomline, while it is good if members of public provide the feedback, it would be more important that those in charge of safety be more proactive and vigilant.

Unless of cos they did take the steps but were slapped down by management for being paranoid......

• Praise 3

It is good that users or visitors provide feedback when they notice anything amiss. It is the responsibility of the building owner to provide a safe and conducive environment for occupants and visitors. There are rules that buildings need to engage maintenance, safety officers to ensure that the building is operationally sound. Failing which would amount to negligence. 

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 2

This mall is already like a dead town. I think can tear down and build condo next to the hotel better.

With this incident, really sayonara.

who is the owner?

all things that you cited are very valid reaction to our bochap boh hui landscape.

Me for one, was sitting at a mall and chatting with my wife. all of a sudden, I heard a scream and a woman came and ask me, " can you please go help kill the roach" ..

I was like ??? WTF .. so I say, my religion forbid me to kill anything ...

Next moment the boyfriend came ..

So I was puzzle.. I approach the woman again and ask, why dont get her boyfriend to kill the roach.

The reply she gave , I should give the woman a tiger ...

"Cannot lah. My boyfriend wear long sleeve."

unfortunately, most of these "feedback channels" are manned by bots or ppl who simply collect feedback but don't do anything about it.

how many times have you feedback about something and the other party did something positive about it ?

on our part, we can only highlight (aka complain) then leave it to the other party to decide.

if you think thats bad, wait till your turn to call the credit card center.

• Praise 7

But security will kanah first....

Think the guy who leaked the video will kena also.

Normally for accidents, the victim identity and her family has to be protected.

• Praise 6

all things that you cited are very valid reaction to our bochap boh hui landscape.

Me for one, was sitting at a mall and chatting with my wife. all of a sudden, I heard a scream and a woman came and ask me, " can you please go help kill the roach" ..

I was like ??? WTF .. so I say, my religion forbid me to kill anything ...

Next moment the boyfriend came ..

So I was puzzle.. I approach the woman again and ask, why dont get her boyfriend to kill the roach.

The reply she gave , I should give the woman a tiger ...

"Cannot lah. My boyfriend wear long sleeve."

if you think thats bad, wait till your turn to call the credit card center.

Sekali she said that her boyfriend embraces the same religion as yours! [smash]  [bounce1]

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2713102-road-signs-and-markings/?fromsearch=1

Not true. They fixed the problem within days for my case.

Think the guy who leaked the video will kena also.

Normally for accidents, the victim identity and her family has to be protected.

Alexandra Central Mall said that it will be replacing all glass doors on the premises. It will also investigate the leak of the surveillance footage that went viral on Tuesday (Feb 26), adding that it will take "firm action" against the party that leaked the recording on social media.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/alexandra-central-mall-replace-all-glass-doors-after-one-fell-woman

• Praise 3

Alexandra Central Mall said that it will be replacing all glass doors on the premises. It will also investigate the leak of the surveillance footage that went viral on Tuesday (Feb 26), adding that it will take "firm action" against the party that leaked the recording on social media.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/alexandra-central-mall-replace-all-glass-doors-after-one-fell-woman

If firm action was taken earlier on the right stuff, would be better
  • Praise 11

developer was Chip Eng Seng. commercial units have already been sold so its strata title.

Wah. How much did those owners pay?

Better fire the managing agent. Seems like the mall is a dead mall too.

Poor owners.

Edited by Kusje

Sekali she said that her boyfriend embraces the same religion as yours! [smash][bounce1]

No leh. I am the spritual leader of one. Me and myself. Anymore and i have to hire FT liao. But got quota cap so very ,leychey. Registered and get myskillfutre training grant.

• Praise 1

Wah. How much did those owners pay?

Better fire the managing agent. Seems like the mall is a dead mall too.

Poor owners.

Developer sold the units at a time when property market was hot, iirc. 

Why must replace when just a visual inspection iofnthe hinges is done on a monthly or fortnightly basis ..... now just going overboard I feel .....unless they feel there is new tech or something like that which is deadlocked ( welded) hinges
  • Praise 5

Why must replace when just a visual inspection iofnthe hinges is done on a monthly or fortnightly basis ..... now just going overboard I feel .....unless they feel there is new tech or something like that which is deadlocked ( welded) hinges

I think they will change to other types of door, cheaper, lighter, not so dangerous...

anyone got any guess what will it likely be? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3