Door falls onto woman at Alexandra Central Mall

Yamapi

Alexandra Central Mall said that it will be replacing all glass doors on the premises. It will also investigate the leak of the surveillance footage that went viral on Tuesday (Feb 26), adding that it will take "firm action" against the party that leaked the recording on social media.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/alexandra-central-mall-replace-all-glass-doors-after-one-fell-woman

While it is true how a cctv footage can be so easily uploaded in social media. It is also equally important to share such incident for public knowledge. How many people know such thing can happen and why if it was been leaked?

In fact BCA should provide advisory to building management and warn public to provide feedback instead of keeping quiet. Such mistake can be repeated elsewhere. Most swing doors mechanism are similar but these fire rated ones are very heavy. I have seen much bigger doors than this. Architect love new design and would introduce funny design. Afterall maintenance is somebody else biz.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

While it is true how a cctv footage can be so easily uploaded in social media. It is also equally important to share such incident for public knowledge. How many people know such thing can happen and why if it was been leaked?

In fact BCA should provide advisory to building management and warn public to provide feedback instead of keeping quiet. Such mistake can be repeated elsewhere. Most swing doors mechanism are similar but these fire rated ones are very heavy. I have seen much bigger doors than this. Architect love new design and would introduce funny design. Afterall maintenance is somebody else biz.

look from it at another angle.

If its so easy to leak or ease of hacking into the system. There maybe legal implication as well.

But yes, that should be a secondary consideration now that a person has been critically injured.

Need to provide remediation of the process and what has been done .

Interestingly, the main bulk of it now points to security monitoring. Why did security not notice that the door was always ajar or the fact that the visitors would always look at the door when it closes.

Even more surprising is when the security does its usual round of security prowl. Did they not ever had an instance where they spotted anomaly or noise from the door ?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If its so easy to leak or ease of hacking into the system. There maybe legal implication as well.

But yes, that should be a secondary consideration now that a person has been critically injured.

Interestingly, the main bulk of it now points to security monitoring. Why did security not notice that the door was always ajar or the fact that the visitors would always look at the door when it closes.

Even more surprising is when the security does its usual round of security prowl. Did they not ever had an instance where they spotted anomaly or noise from the door ?

In my opinion, the CCTV leak is unacceptable. Footage of CCTV should only be released to the authorities only and never to 3rd parties. Something building management should learn from this episode. 

To expect security officer to be able to pick up a faulty door is a bit of a high expectation. I am sure many more qualified 'professional' have used this door before it fell and did not pick up it was going to fall. Even the regular maintenance guy not trained may not be able to pick this up. Daily, there will be plenty of doors rubbing against each other due to various reasons. I am not saying we should not check but the trained personnel to do this for such heavy fired rated doors would be preferred. To go a bit more extreme, all fire rated doors like fire shutters should be checked and serviced by trained technicians only. 

Supercharged

i been to that mall many times but if my memory serves me right, almost never see any security guards when i am there.

I think they will change to other types of door, cheaper, lighter, not so dangerous...

anyone got any guess what will it likely be? [laugh]

remove the door and replace with air curtains. Then use roller shutters after hours of operations.

Else hire people to seat at the door to watch

Go after person who leak bedeo. Champion priorities.

I think the management been watching one too many spy movies and trying to catch the mole.

It would be even worst idea if the mole was caught and they name and shame.  [laugh]

Turbocharged

i been to that mall many times but if my memory serves me right, almost never see any security guards when i am there.

got, their office at level 1, last time used to have one stationed at the driveway, after that no more, think no car drive in also or maybe change of security company, so there are changes in security plan.  [laugh]

Woman hit by falling door at Alexandra Central Mall requires surgery for injuries

A 47-year-old woman who was hit by a falling door at a carpark lift lobby in Alexandra Central Mall on Sunday (Feb 24) is now in a high dependency ward in hospital.

Besides head injuries, she also suffered multiple fractures along her legs and pelvic bone, as well as lacerations to her liver.

Her sister told Shin Min Daily News, "Since her pelvic bone is fractured, she will require surgery to help support and stabilize the spine. She might walk with a limp otherwise."

"Every time the morphine (painkiller) wears off, my sister would cry out in agony," she sobbed. "She told me she doesn't know what pain is anymore."

The woman's husband recounted the accident, saying, "My wife had just followed me into the lift lobby on level four when a glass door came crashing down on her all of a sudden."

In CCTV footage which has since gone viral on social media, he could be seen trying to lift the door - which weighed over 100kg - to free her.

"But it was too heavy," he said.

With the help of his brother-in-law, he managed to move the door away and called for an ambulance.

His wife moaned in pain and appeared to be in a state of shock, and asked him what had happened before she lost consciousness.

The woman was later taken to National University Hospital for treatment.

After the accident, the mall cordoned off glass door areas on level four, five and six, and also engaged a contractor to conduct thorough safety checks on all glass doors in the building, Alexandra Central's spokesman Philip Pang told AsiaOne.

He said that the mall will inspect and replace all parts related to glass doors and is in communications with the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to ensure that the doors are certified safe for operations. 

A BCA spokesperson, however, told AsiaOne that "Under the Building Control Act and Regulations, BCA regulates construction works to ensure compliance with the requirements, including barrier-free accessibility, lifts and escalators."

"Interior fixtures and fittings, such as glass doors, are not regulated under the BC Act, and remain the responsibility of the building owner to manage and maintain. 

According to Mr Pang, the mall will render assistance to the victim and her family but declined to comment further on the case as it is now under police investigation.

The mall also said that it will take "firm actions" against those who leaked the CCTV footage, as it breached security protocol as well as the victim's privacy.

And the mall management kena bombarded with why they are after the person that leaked the video... ...

亚历山大购物中心玻璃门脱落倒下砸伤女郎,视频在网上广为流传,引起网友一片哗然。

正当大家还在议论纷纷之际,商场却称,泄露视频的行为已经违反了个人资料保护令,为了保护伤者隐私,管理层会彻查泄露视频的“内鬼”的身份。

商场管理层的这一言论,被网友质疑试图掩饰事情的真相。在保护伤者资料和揭露真相之间,你觉得哪个最重要?

52935833_2117487204987328_23749929447519

上星期天(2月24日)傍晚6时30,亚历山大购物中心发生玻璃门压伤人事件后,商场管理层表示要把泄露事发视频的人采取“严厉行动”,此举在网上引发激烈讨论,网友看法不一。

管理层早前在答复媒体询问时表示,相信管理层能够锁定泄露视频的人并加以惩处,但并未提供更多细节。

闭路电视画面 属于大楼持有
管理层的说法,在面簿上引发激烈讨论,网友对于管理层要揪出“内鬼”的做法看法不一。

一名颜姓网友就为公司辩护,认为闭路电视画面属于大楼持有,姑且不论画面内容,把视频公开的行为等同于偷窃,

也有网友说,不知伤者家人对视频有何感想,应该获得她和家人的同意才发布视频。

然而,更多的网友对管理层要严查事件的态度表示不认同,他们认为管理层本末倒置,应该先解决事件,而不是算账。

一名潘姓网友就说:“与其追究泄露监控视频的人,管理层更应该向没及时发现和修理玻璃门的维修团队采取行动。”

另一名网友认为,告密者应该受到保护,尤其对那些举报疏漏事故的人。

不少网友强调,如果不是视频在网上公开,公众不会知道这次的意外,商场或许会保持沉默。

一名颜姓网友就调侃:“为什么要采取行动?因为泄露者对管理层造成太多麻烦,让他们很难去掩盖事情的真相?”

完整报道,请翻阅2019年3月1日的《联合晚报》。
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

And the mall management kena bombarded with why they are after the person that leaked the video... ...

I don't care if the management goes after that guy, but it is wrong to leak that video.

The reason is simple.......to protect the identity of the victim and her family.  Imagine the hurtful and sad feelings when this video is circulated and seen by the victim family members.

And not to mention the thousand of calls/messages from friends, colleagues, relatives......all during the time of stress and hurt. 

I know some people think such video should be circulated as a "education". But imagine if that victim is your family member. Would you like  that scene to be in the internet such it will be in your memory for years and years?

There is a reason why accidents and gory scenes are never allowed to be circulated.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 6

Not unless it is calculated to stoke public fury.

I saw the aftermath of blackhawk down...the dragging of the bodies on ALL the news networks. EVEN PBS, not to mention all the other networks. All over.

Simple words but powerful pictures. You know if you saw, absolute horror and disgust.

Yes if it were my family i would not want it shown at all.

If it suited the powers that be...

Go figure.

• Praise 2

I don't care if the management goes after that guy, but it is wrong to leak that video.

The reason is simple.......to protect the identity of the victim and her family. Imagine the hurtful and sad feelings when this video is circulated and seen by the victim family members.

And not to mention the thousand of calls/messages from friends, colleagues, relatives......all during the time of stress and hurt.

I know some people think such video should be circulated as a "education". But imagine if that victim is your family member. Would you like that scene to be in the internet such it will be in your memory for years and years?

There is a reason why accidents and gory scenes are never allowed to be circulated.

I agree. The only exception is if the victim wants it displayed for whatever personal reasons on social media (assume she got a clip from her family member's handphone).

That is why I am kind of against leaks like this while not really against cases like the go jek driver releasing his video (though I did write I wouldn't post it if I were him).

• Praise 1

(edited)

Two decades ago without cctv or camera phone people generally would brush it off as another accident merely basing on scripted MSM.

Two decades forward woth the video now I do know how dangerous a faulty glass door can pose to the general public.

Video itself ain't the problem. Is how the viewer interpret it. Likewise a same video we can have so many variance of opinions.

Same go to the management of this mall. If they step forward to admit the severity of this accident posed. Rectified all glass door and take the video as a positive alarm bells forward everyone than I am sure many here will be very forgiving.

Discussion purpose. The evolution of technology there are no way to halt video sharing in the society. Instead of react negatively why not embrace it as educational material.

Our incar camera also another culprit if according to your point. Should we or should we not pose video of accident site? It all up to a person on how to interpret/dissect the video.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

Two decades ago without cctv or camera phone people generally would brush it off as another accident merely basing on scripted MSM.

Two decades forward woth the video now I do know how dangerous a faulty glass door can pose to the general public.

Video itself ain't the problem. Is how the viewer interpret it. Likewise a same video we can have so many variance of opinions.

Same go to the management of this mall. If they step forward to admit the severity of this accident posed. Rectified all glass door and take the video as a positive alarm bells forward everyone than I am sure many here will be very forgiving.

Discussion purpose. The evolution of technology there are no way to halt video sharing in the society. Instead of react negatively why not embrace it as educational material.

Our incar camera also another culprit if according to your point. Should we or should we not pose video of accident site? It all up to a person on how to interpret/dissect the video.

Well said..it happened..so be it.....and it was the truth about it, that some may want to conceal

you-want-the-5b7b29.jpg

All this happened because they saved on few cable ties.

Shake head.

eh that smrt lah...dey

Turbocharged

Alexandra Central Mall said that it will be replacing all glass doors on the premises. It will also investigate the leak of the surveillance footage that went viral on Tuesday (Feb 26), adding that it will take "firm action" against the party that leaked the recording on social media.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/alexandra-central-mall-replace-all-glass-doors-after-one-fell-woman

Super crap, because of this leak they replace all glass door. If no leak, keep quiet???
  • Praise 5

Super crap, because of this leak they replace all glass door. If no leak, keep quiet???

Pinky style of TaiChi cum Prata Flip...everything under carpet lah  :gangs:  :ninja:

• Praise 2

eh that smrt lah...dey

No leh, say if it's compulsory to secure the door hinges with cable tie or thin wire rope, it could be a secondary back up for the whole door from falĺing off.

[scholar]

↡ Advertisement