Parliament: Baey Yam Keng: Diesel tax hike for better living

Jammy_buttons

Jammy_buttons, on 28 Feb 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:snapback.png

While the tax hike on diesel has affected businesses and cabbies, the move will help discourage usage of the fuel and create a better and healthier living environment, said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Baey Yam Keng.

He noted that the land transport sector is the second-largest source of emissions in Singapore, and this has to be addressed as the land transport system expands.

is this feasible, the buses, taxis, goods vehicle..... discourage usage

↡ Advertisement

Hahaha..... You might need to wait another 50 years for that to come true. Singaporean all keyboard hero only. KPKB in cyberspace but when come to the real thing, LLST. Suck it up big time..

I also not wearing white.. grains of sand add up to a mountain.. the more the ivory tower screws up the shakier will be it's base..ask najib..

Pay Ministers in Million to prevent corruption?

I don't agree with the 3rd one because of 2 reasons:

1. US president job is paid less than million but no corruption.

2. If you pay a Minister 4 millions, you spoiled him and put yourself in danger situation as he had to work hard to think how to tax you heavily to have enough money to pay 4 millions to himself legally.

If u tell me US no corruption i dont believe and never will. Else the cartels there cannot be running almost like a legit business.

Singapore minister are paid well and hence they will think very very hard when it comes to keeping for their own pocket, take $ one time but lose a whole career of $ which outweighs the monthly salary. 

Hahaha..... You might need to wait another 50 years for that to come true. Singaporean all keyboard hero only. KPKB in cyberspace but when come to the real thing, LLST. Suck it up big time..

I agree with boths hands and leg. But ever since my legit age came for me to exercise my rights, i always dont believe what they say and wont go their way. Its doesnt mean i dont love my motherland, i hust dont like my current govt and cant agree with most of their policies.

Singaporeans are just complacent, enough eat enough spend and mediocre life happy liao. 

If u tell me US no corruption i dont believe and never will. Else the cartels there cannot be running almost like a legit business.

Singapore minister are paid well and hence they will think very very hard when it comes to keeping for their own pocket, take $ one time but lose a whole career of $ which outweighs the monthly salary. 

Singapore minister are paid well and hence they will think very very hard to protect their own interest (4 millions salary) and protect government's interest (who give them 4 millions salary legally). They will not think very very hard to protect taxpayer's interest.

Currently, there is no alternative to diesel truck.  We are waiting to further increase in retail price.

On the other hand, LTA bought 60 electric buses last year to be deliver from 2019.

For those of you who says no saving to pump in JB, better think twice now.

• Praise 2

They say EURO VI better against pollution, suddenly now say pollution thats why need tax

all they say.... human also them ghost also them

I cannot understand this statement. As far as I can tell, vehicle is under zero or near zero growth policy. The expansion is on public transport, not the whole land transport. Of all the public transport, the main source of expansion that is related to diesel as far as I can tell is buses, PHV not so much.

So this is a red herring comment from my point of view.

I also cannot understand why the government is taking this 'ambush' approach, for fear that companies and vehicle owners will overnight go and all pump full? Even if that is the case, so what? I can understand for property-related tax and levies, but diesel?

Ambush approach?

My bunkering price for next day delivery was immediately adjusted upward with addition $0.10 same day two hours after the budget was delivered. Wef immediately!

All petrochemical companies adopted the same practice.

They say EURO VI better against pollution, suddenly now say pollution thats why need tax

all they say.... human also them ghost also them

Wrong...

Should be God also them..ghost also them..

Supercharged

Taxi companies must have gotten the message from Govt some time ago already.

AFAIK, all new taxis are hybrid - Prius or Ioniq.

In future probably no more diesel cabs.

Taxi companies must have gotten the message from Govt some time ago already.

AFAIK, all new taxis are hybrid - Prius or Ioniq.

In future probably no more diesel cabs.

Yes, not only taxi companies. As early as 2017, when I shop for cars, dealers already said expect some more tax on disel cars, due to their pollution based on a more robust measurement of their pollution. Dealers already advised me not to buy disel cars..... a few ADs gave same advise. This announcement is no surprise.

Likely the next target for tax will be the VES after the existing scheme expires on 31 Dec 2019.

I won't be surprised if the surcharge goes up and rebate comes down from 1 Jan 2020.

2020 is also the year when the satellite ERP will be rolled out starting with some of the expressways.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/buying/upfront-vehicle-costs/emissions-charges.html

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/lta-trial-satellite-based-erp-number-plate-recognition-systems

• Praise 1

Why they have millions of dollars to build satellite ERP but they don't have money to build renewable energy plantations and charge stations around island for electronic cars?

Why they have millions of dollars to build satellite ERP but they don't have money to build renewable energy plantations and charge stations around island for electronic cars?

Eh they are building charging stations now what

(edited)

Eh they are building charging stations now what

Instead of spending millions of dollars to build satellite ERP for better earnings, Singapore Government should use that millions of dollars to buy electric bus and build charging stations for electronic bus for REAL better living.

https://youtu.be/exDrahDrLzo

Edited by Bigtoe

Instead of spending millions of dollars to build satellite ERP for better earnings, Singapore Government should use that millions of dollars to buy electric bus and build charging stations for electronic bus for REAL better living.

https://youtu.be/exDrahDrLzo

Electric bus we are right to hold off.

Many of the electric buses in china are so far unable to live up to reliability standards. 

↡ Advertisement