2020 Polestar 2

Carbon82

Message added by BabyBlade,

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

If you don’t want to pay for the markup, you have only 1 choice.

That car is selling at $111k w/o COE.

The markup is quite amazing 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

The markup is quite amazing 

Which car has amazing markup?

The car which I said sell at 111k w/o COE has an OMV of 60k.

19 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Which car has amazing markup?

The car which I said sell at 111k w/o COE has an OMV of 60k.

Most AD that sells non bnb cars 

• Praise 1

@Anderss Yeah i feel the same too. But I also wanna test whether the other stuffs pointed out by some reviewers are deal breakers for me - air con vents blowing to the top instead of towards people (esp in sunny singapore..), higher seating position due to battery, leading to minimal/lack of thigh support..

For me, the P2 meets my requirements more than any other EV so I decided to go with it. The transmission tunnel is bad design but it is not a big deal since we won’t be using it as the family car. Not sure about the aircon blowing up as I did not experience it during test drive. The aircon was blowing at me. The thigh support was there also - I’m 1.75m tall.

At slightly below $200k (after $15k overtrade discount), I think the price is reasonable for a premium sedan (EV or not). Taking in the low PARF, depreciation is about $19k+, maybe similar to C class? I calculated gross profit for Wearnes is about $47k.

The only other option for me was Tesla. But I cannot get used to the single screen controlling everything. I need a speedometer in front of me and buttons to press. And of course, I wanted to be a little different also from the rest 😃

• Praise 4

Wearnes' cars usually cater for niche market - just like they brought in the Infiniti previously. Sales volume not high and hence affected the resale value. 

Think Volvo is still their main volume seller but it seems quite quiet at the showroom recently. 

Edited by Melody288
Typo
  • Praise 1

@Fitmugen Interesting. shall go for a look and try it out. no need to calculate profits, base car cost is readily available here. https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/onemotoring/Buying/Car_Cost_Update/M032-Car_Cost_Update.pdf

Assuming you take the single motor long range, its indeed ~47k profit for Wearnes assuming you got the car at 200k. Also need to consider value which they took your car in (vs selling directly to dealers).

That being said, Tesla profit seems almost negligible..

24 minutes ago, hsolo89 said:

@Fitmugen Interesting. shall go for a look and try it out. no need to calculate profits, base car cost is readily available here. https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/onemotoring/Buying/Car_Cost_Update/M032-Car_Cost_Update.pdf

Assuming you take the single motor long range, its indeed ~47k profit for Wearnes assuming you got the car at 200k. Also need to consider value which they took your car in (vs selling directly to dealers).

That being said, Tesla profit seems almost negligible..

It is not negligible for Tesla. The profit for Tesla is already in the OMV. That is the beauty of direct sale. no need to pay ridiculous money to the middle man. For Polestar2, it profit is in the OMV and we also need to pay extra 47K to Wearnes.

Edited by Kennethoka
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Kennethoka said:

@hsolo89 I mean whatever Tesla needs to earn from you is only in the OMV. Other then that is all goes to the Government.

Yes. Both cars have similar selling price in the UK and US I believe. Tesla puts in its profit margin in the car and sells direct to SG customer while Polestar sells the cars cheaper to Wearnes and probably charges them a hefty dealership retainer.

End result is our gahmen earns much more from vehicle taxes from Tesla, and Tesla customer gets about $10k more back through PARF rebate as compared to P2

• Praise 2

Wonder how to jumpstart on the huge opportunity of EV charging station.. if can sell good quality Xiaomi cost would be awesome in this “gold rush”

On 1/13/2022 at 11:38 PM, Anderss said:

Read that the polestar has a transmission tunnel. Kinda disappointing 

Just went to have a look and tested out the Polestar 2 Single Motor at their new showroom.

I do find the rear seats quite cramped and it has that high transmission tunnel right in the centre. I ask sales person why she says its a shared platform for ICE/PHEV/EV configuration. A quick google suggests that its the same CMA platform as Volvo XC40/C40. 

Overall drive feel can felt its quite a fair bit less responsive than Model 3 Single Motor. Less horsepower (240hp vs 320hp) and heavier (+400kg) vs Model 3 single motor which I've borrowed a few days from my friend. That explains why. 

The other thing is their mobile app is still a work in progress, when I ask about it. 

Good things: Better build quality than Model 3 (at least on areas visible), driving posture is more normal. I find the driver's posture of the Model 3 is more go-kart like (lower hip point with legs more straightened out).

A decent EV, but I'm waiting to see Volvo's C40 first. Was told its coming after August. 

• Praise 5

58 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Just went to have a look and tested out the Polestar 2 Single Motor at their new showroom.

I do find the rear seats quite cramped and it has that high transmission tunnel right in the centre. I ask sales person why she says its a shared platform for ICE/PHEV/EV configuration. A quick google suggests that its the same CMA platform as Volvo XC40/C40. 

Overall drive feel can felt its quite a fair bit less responsive than Model 3 Single Motor. Less horsepower (240hp vs 320hp) and heavier (+400kg) vs Model 3 single motor which I've borrowed a few days from my friend. That explains why. 

The other thing is their mobile app is still a work in progress, when I ask about it. 

Good things: Better build quality than Model 3 (at least on areas visible), driving posture is more normal. I find the driver's posture of the Model 3 is more go-kart like (lower hip point with legs more straightened out).

A decent EV, but I'm waiting to see Volvo's C40 first. Was told its coming after August. 

I agree with all of your findings. Similar to mine when i went for test drive.

The app i dont want to end up like my Mbux system what also wip. For 2 years still wip. I will treat wip as non existent. They arent Tesla.

• Praise 2

On 4/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Anderss said:

I agree with all of your findings. Similar to mine when i went for test drive.

The app i dont want to end up like my Mbux system what also wip. For 2 years still wip. I will treat wip as non existent. They arent Tesla.

the app is working, though not as fanciful as teslas. good enough to be a wireless key, also as remote control key function to lock/unlock the car, turn on/off and change settings for the climate control, and see battery level status, adjust charging current settings and schedule charging.

• Praise 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:38 PM, Anderss said:

Read that the polestar has a transmission tunnel. Kinda disappointing 

they 'hollowed' out the area for the rear passengers feet and placed the battery in the centre transmission tunnel instead. 

so that the rear passengers (left and right) will find the floor not as shallow and they can rest their legs more vertically/comfortably. This of course comes at a sacrifice for the middle rear passenger.

↡ Advertisement