COE Bidding – 1st Round of March 2019

Carbon82

(edited)

Hybrid cars are going to be a fad. They will go the way of CNG.

Because hybrids consume less petrol, they reduce the potential revenue from petrol excise duty.

It is a matter of time that the government will impose a surcharge on hybrids, just like how diesel excise duty was recently increased by 100% in Feb 2019. 

SG government does not care about environment. What they care is petrol tax. They imposed heavy road tax to electric cars to cover their lost in petrol tax. They will do the same to hybrid cars if hybrid cars increase their lost in petrol tax. Sale more petrol is what they care, they do not care about environment.

It is unfair to put turbo engine car in Cat A and hybrid car in Cat B.

LTA calculated hybrid engine power = natural aspiration engine + electric engine.

How about turbo engine power? LTA missed it or LTA did not know how to calculate turbo engine power?

Base on my own estimation, turbo engine is 1.5 stronger than natural aspiration engine. i.e:

1.2 L turbo engine = 1.2 * 1.5 = 1.8 L natural aspiration engine.

1.5 L turbo engine = 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25 L natural aspiration engine.

For example, LTA put Toyota C-HR 1.2 L turbo in Cat A, and Honda Fit 1.5 L Hybrid in Cat B. Unfair for Hybrid car.

Edited by Bigtoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

it is unfair for individual consumers to compete COE against taxi companies such as Uber, Grab, Gojek and other taxi/rental companies. Such taxi/transportation/rental/PHV... companies have to compete COE among themself and leave individual consumers like you and me to compete COE among ourself.

• Praise 1

SG government does not care about environment. What they care is petrol tax. They imposed heavy road tax to electric cars to cover their lost in petrol tax. They will do the same to hybrid cars if hybrid cars increase their lost in petrol tax. Sale more petrol is what they care, they do not care about environment.

LTA calculated hybrid engine power = natural aspiration engine + electric engine.

How about turbo engine power? LTA missed it or LTA did not know how to calculate turbo engine power?

Base on my own estimation, turbo engine is 1.5 stronger than natural aspiration engine. i.e:

1.2 L turbo engine = 1.2 * 1.5 = 1.8 L natural aspiration engine.

1.5 L turbo engine = 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25 L natural aspiration engine.

For example, LTA put Toyota C-HR 1.2 L turbo in Cat A, and Honda Fit 1.5 L Hybrid in Cat B. Unfair for Hybrid car.

Not totally though, it is also based on HP. C-HR 1.2 Turbo generates lesser HP compared to 1.5 fit hybrid. The HP already took into account the total power produced including the Turbo.
  • Praise 2

it is unfair for individual consumers to compete COE against taxi companies such as Uber, Grab, Gojek and other taxi/rental companies. Such taxi/transportation/rental/PHV... companies have to compete COE among themself and leave individual consumers like you and me to compete COE among ourself.

Unfair? Then dun buy cars. This is lta long term plans
  • Praise 1

Hopefully their old Cat. A cars are de-register and recycle back instead of rotting somewhere. Then more Cat. A quota to come.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

2,000 new hybrid cars over the next few months is no joke. Potential Cat B and E car buyers are in for a good ride. PHV companies are messing up the COEs again.

I still feel there are still opportunities for some slight adjustment downwards. Imagine if they don't come in, what would be the COE pricing now. Would it be a continuous downtrend or will it maintain at existing price? There are still several macro and micro factors to consider. By end year, the next year growth rate will be announced and may cause another set of panic buying. For now as long the demand from PHV is not that aggressive, it should maintained rather close to 30+- odds.

car sharing will be the future trend, nothing much we can do as population will keep growing. Won't be surprised if almost half of the cars will be a private hire in the near future  [:p]

for now zero car population growth and new models (not face lift models) coming in

looks like prices already bottom few months ago and will continue to be strong

But once there is economic uncertainties, then we shall see

Turbocharged

When coe go up, they blame it on PH companies? Lol.

every interview by the press must have something to say one.  [laugh]

Unfair? Then dun buy cars. This is lta long term plans

If its LTA's long term plan to have PHV, they seriously need to clamp down on the safety of PHV driver's driving.

I've been in 4 Grabs in the past 1 month and every single one has driven dangerously. 80km/hr in 50km/hr zone. 100km/hr in 60km/hr zone. 120km/hr+ in expressway, Tailgating within 3 metres of car in front on expressway. No turn signals. Running red lights. Dangerous lane changes on double lines.

Plus cars poorly maintained, always see check engine lights on, airbag warning light flashing.

No way I'm putting my child in a PHV anytime soon until the quality of driving improves. LTA should mandate dashcams with GPS and spotcheck PHV drivers by asking them to submit their videos for review. Someone (or worse a child) is going to die because of PHV and then everyone will be up in arms.

• Praise 3

Those Cat B buyer might be force to go for Cat A car if PHV comes into Cat B for fleets..Cat A price might then move upwards in that sense ?

Heng ah, lucky I didn't camp longer and ordered my CAT B car in September 2018. 31k Coe was the lowest ever reached lol
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

If its LTA's long term plan to have PHV, they seriously need to clamp down on the safety of PHV driver's driving.

I've been in 4 Grabs in the past 1 month and every single one has driven dangerously. 80km/hr in 50km/hr zone. 100km/hr in 60km/hr zone. 120km/hr+ in expressway, Tailgating within 3 metres of car in front on expressway. No turn signals. Running red lights. Dangerous lane changes on double lines.

Plus cars poorly maintained, always see check engine lights on, airbag warning light flashing.

No way I'm putting my child in a PHV anytime soon until the quality of driving improves. LTA should mandate dashcams with GPS and spotcheck PHV drivers by asking them to submit their videos for review. Someone (or worse a child) is going to die because of PHV and then everyone will be up in arms.

In this case, take normal taxi better? 

If I ever met one like that, I will be really scare too. You can tell the driver to drive safely, give him a bad rating or call grab to complain too. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

If I ever met one like that, I will be really scare too. You can tell the driver to drive safely, give him a bad rating or call grab to complain too. 

Such driver also endanger to others road user lo.

In this case, take normal taxi better?

Normal taxis generally safer as a rider I think, because there is a hotline you can complain to.

But in saying that I'm not a fan of taxi drivers as a fellow motorist. Always like to bully other drivers: indicate to go into lane and they speed up to not let you in, or flash lights at you as though they have right of way. Or if indicating to change lanes they actively prevent you from entering as though I'm going to make them 60min late.

My wife's father used to drive a cab and so she was sympathetic to cab drivers as it's hard work and pay not amazing. Always used to give extra tip. But now after driving on same road as cabbies, she generally hates them because try to bully her, think they own the road etc.

Don't understand SG drivers sometimes. Everyone driving $100k plus cars, would think they are super careful and courteous as don't want to damage car. Yet SG has some of the least courteous and aggressive drivers in the developed world. Very much the mentality of: I can afford $100k+ car, so I deserve to do whatever I want.

In Europe or Japan, people actually are courteous drivers. They will actually share the road and respect others using the road.

I really hope these new laws the government is introducing to curb dangerous driving are enforced. We need safer roads for everyone.

Normal taxis generally safer as a rider I think, because there is a hotline you can complain to.

But in saying that I'm not a fan of taxi drivers as a fellow motorist. Always like to bully other drivers: indicate to go into lane and they speed up to not let you in, or flash lights at you as though they have right of way. Or if indicating to change lanes they actively prevent you from entering as though I'm going to make them 60min late.

My wife's father used to drive a cab and so she was sympathetic to cab drivers as it's hard work and pay not amazing. Always used to give extra tip. But now after driving on same road as cabbies, she generally hates them because try to bully her, think they own the road etc.

Don't understand SG drivers sometimes. Everyone driving $100k plus cars, would think they are super careful and courteous as don't want to damage car. Yet SG has some of the least courteous and aggressive drivers in the developed world. Very much the mentality of: I can afford $100k+ car, so I deserve to do whatever I want.

In Europe or Japan, people actually are courteous drivers. They will actually share the road and respect others using the road.

I really hope these new laws the government is introducing to curb dangerous driving are enforced. We need safer roads for everyone.

Poor Singaporeans learned selfish lessons from Singapore Government. Government only cares about Government benefits so Singaporeans do the same. They don't care about others people benefits and environment. Singaporeans only care about themselves benefits. The hard truth is, Singapore is not a developed country. Its citizens are not happy with heavy Tax and COE. If they are forced to buy a 100+ K car, they have to make full use of the car and don't care about any things when they drive because they know after 10 years their 100+ K car will become zero. Why need to take care of the zero value car?
↡ Advertisement