A Shocking Rise in Suicides from an Unexpected Age Group

Mockngbrd

(edited)

He said that most of these victims are given closed-casket funerals, as their faces have been disfigured beyond repair. The suicides themselves are surprising, as is the frequency.

But perhaps what's most shocking is this: many are senior citizens.

https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article/ev3jjz/singapore-suicide-elderly-senior-citizens?utm_source=vicefbus

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

I think elderly suicide is increasing in many countries.

There are many reasons for the above.

Mental health awareness is not really there in the less well to do elderly.

Living in small flats which remove the communal feeling for one. Small social circle for most elderly. Lack of purpose. Financial hardships and poor relations with their children etc could be a factor as well.

• Praise 7

Supersonic

Article already mentioned most people suicides due to struggles of social disconnection, the fear of becoming a burden to family and friends, and impairments to daily functioning due to physical challenges and deteriorating physical and mental health. But i believe suicides not as easy as what most people think, it really take a lot of encourage to take that step to jump off.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Very sad to read this article.....

I think financial burdens and mental/health deterioration are the common reasons to push them over the edge.

For those crossing into their 40s, I think financial planning & maintaining a healthy lifestyle is something they should start doing.  

• Praise 4

Supersonic

Very sad to read this article.....

I think financial burdens and mental/health deterioration are the common reasons to push them over the edge.

For those crossing into their 40s, I think financial planning & maintaining a healthy lifestyle is something they should start doing.  

True, financial and health issue always the main factor affecting a person life. Esp nowadays so many unpredictable health issue arise, even though you might be maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

it become a norm and common in japan where the aging population is higher, worse is they stay alone or in rural area hence not many people bother. 

• Praise 2

(edited)

Many people do periodic health check, but nobody ever does periodic mental check. By the way, is there even such a check available? I think mental health is equally important, and its effect should not be understimated.

Sometimes, only medication helps.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 6

Its the social disconnect.

The rapidity of change, the pervasiveness, the need as well as the younger generation being coded to operate in a different landscape (kids during sars versus veterans clenching it and going to work).

The world has changed and little preparation was done in the nineties to prepare for this event.

The change in social dynamics with lots of foreign refugees using Singapore as a stepping stone has also contributed to the neglect. They are very willing to abandon their home how well do they view the elderly here? Its all about them.

They do not see the nenek, ah gong or elderly sikh as people. Only part of their job to get their advancement and paycheck.

Of course not all the foreign refugees do so but it is their base operation. As Radx say Home is a powerful concept with regards to new imports.

These refugees do not see the nenek, ah gong or old man sikh as fondly as our eyes do. Or as forgiving or as understanding or as accepting.

Still these refugees high end to low have their place.

Maybe more of the tune ala the famous James MIL.

The elderly clearing tables/cleaning your office toilet have to do their invisible jobs for income in an expensive city.

It is this loss of 'kampung' whereby the elderly can support the elderly does massive damage.

An old friend was a poster boy for NKF -- good looking. He did himself in at 26 because of *private*.

Quit dialysis and drank and drank and drank. Perfectly physically well aside from requiring dialysis. Had a moderately successful property practice so money was no issue. He lost hope and did not want to continue his journey.

Superdog was not around.

Suicide is so sad and angry.

Thanks mok for starting this thread.

• Praise 13

One strategy to create more bonding among the elderly alike mcf concept is to start linkages facilitated deliberately by the government.

The government through their recent efforts has shown their will to the righteous and needful for the elderly.

I suggest government/ngo partially sponsored holiday trips for elderly to mingle.

So dont want to make the train. Really dum dum and dont know simi lokun and how they qualify. Witchcraft maybe.

I know a significant portion would enjoy overseas trip as well as facilitated social networking sessions.

I would give my time for this cause. To make a simple trip to hongkong/putra jaya/timbuktu fun and useful for the elderly.

• Praise 1

Problems arising from financial and medical issues are more or less personal and private issues. Dont think these suicidal elderly individuals are willing to share it with others...so openly.

Reaching out to them is a challenge, helping them is another cos they might not be open to help. If I'm not wrong other countries also face the same issues.

• Praise 2

(edited)

It's very important for older people to mix and mingle with younger people.

It's important for their mental health.

If any good looking young ladies wants to mix and mingle with the elderly faster pm me.

We can do coffee and social intercourse.

:D

I suggest government/ngo partially sponsored holiday trips for elderly to mingle.

I know a significant portion would enjoy overseas trip as well as facilitated social networking sessions.

How about sponsored trips for the elderly with members of the younger generation.

I would love to go on holiday accompanied by a young lady.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 6

I think elderly men going on holiday with young ladies is good not only for mental health but also physical health.

I could be wrong and open to a mass debate on this.

Any young ladies have an opinion on this?

Mostly men

Women have better social networks and support.

When my mum goes around the neighbourhood, she easily know 10 times more the number of people compared to my dad. Even if they are casual acquaintances.

And lots of women in that generation have been housewives at least part of their lives. So in a way, u used to being subservient to the needs of the family. So growing old, the role doesn't really change.

I wonder if the current generation of women who many have working careers, when they retire, will they have the same suicide risk as the men?

I suspect will be higher than the current elderly (but of course still lower than men).

So many factors. When one lost the will to live, any of these can be contributors or catalyst.

Senior ppl are usually very set in their ways, habits, mindsets and are also generally less open to share personal problems eg. financial issues or being a burden to others.

Less able to trust due to fear of being cheated or forced into a situation that's troublesome. A common approach is to avoid mixing with too many ppl or be too friendly.

Not easy. U can organise all year long activities to suit the senior ppl but these must first want to participate. Making friends or knowing your neighbours or more ppl may not be an instant need to them. In fact there are many who shun these activities. Can they be encouraged to join? Yes. But persuasion may take awhile. Usually asked once or twice, they no come, ppl give up asking.

Some are really cranky, unlovable or estranged from family for many years. These die alone and may not be discovered till skeleton stage if neighbours can tahan decomposed smell, especially in a landed property that's secluded enuff.

How? Start now lah. Plan finances, eat and live simple life. Make friends or strengthen friendship, be there for others too. So they can be there for u when need arises. Cherish family, dun always work work work. Its sometimes an excuse because building relationships can be hard work and heart work. Some dun bother or find it too troublesome. For some lucky ones, your family will stick with u thru thick and thin because they love you as a brother/sister etc.

Dun always "eat ppl", be generous to treat others too. Time is precious and costly, so making time to catch up with buddies, relatives is healthy for mind, body and soul. We are really not made to be alone or an island, away from humans. Like that may as well make it enriching and beneficial for each other, tcss and going holidays or doing hobbies together.

Food does break ice....sharing meals can create bonding. Making meals together lagi bagus. Bond like super glue....haha....pls make sure its platonic type otherwise can be troublesome.

Just sharing tots. Make life meaningful. Take care of health. Have healthy and stimulating conversations as long as can agree to disagree. Most of all, love yourself and be considerate to yourself. Its not selfishness. U cant love others when u cant love even yourself. Loving yourself means remember you are valuable as a person. You are precious! There will only be the ONE AND ONLY YOU forever. No cosmetic surgery is able to change the real person inside. Cos you are unique, you are already precious. Make your life count. Dun short circuit it. Seek life, not death. We all face death anyways, no need to rush it ya.

Safe ride and because you're very precious, drive defensively.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9