A Shocking Rise in Suicides from an Unexpected Age Group

Mockngbrd

About 10 years ago in 2009, I did volunteer work to distribute food packets to the elderly in York Hill estate in Outram. Met an elderly man and we tried to befriend him but when we left, he told us something that made us cringe:

Mati lagi baik ( die better)

He was suffering from end stage lung cancer and his Brother was taking care of him .

↡ Advertisement

Your MIL is Fit as a Fiddle .......... just letting you know  [laugh] , in case .......err ........reminder 

I also pro euthanasia but I think they should let us decide for our elderly relatives.

:D

• Praise 4

I have a distance relative who committed suicide many years back. In his mid 70s, wife passed away about 2 years before (cancer). Besides losing his life long partner, he was diagnosed with cancer a year later.

Spoke to his family, and the conclusion was that on seeing how the wife have suffered in the last stage of life, and coupled with the pain of losing a partner, he chose to end his live "in advance" or maybe as some may say, go to meet his wife in the eternal world.

So it might be more than mental, $$$ issues... He is not poor BTW (children all doing very well too).

It will be good if we can have some group to explore what other types of assistance and support that can be rendered to such people.

• Praise 9

Turbocharged

If you get married and have kids you will even have less time for yourself.

:D

Ahhh ... It's only then that you treasure what little free time you have and not waste a single minute of it.
  • Praise 1

Not every elders are still fit and healthy to drive. Diving needs lots of concentration de.

Yes, agree. Need lots of concentration, to be safe for ownself n other road users.. so , to plan for my retirement, I would get fit now, then can drive grab later..

I have a distance relative who committed suicide many years back. In his mid 70s, wife passed away about 2 years before (cancer). Besides losing his life long partner, he was diagnosed with cancer a year later.

Spoke to his family, and the conclusion was that on seeing how the wife have suffered in the last stage of life, and coupled with the pain of losing a partner, he chose to end his live "in advance" or maybe as some may say, go to meet his wife in the eternal world.

So it might be more than mental, $$$ issues... He is not poor BTW (children all doing very well too).

It will be good if we can have some group to explore what other types of assistance and support that can be rendered to such people.

Men tend to depend on their wives esp those earlier generation n hence if wife goes first which normally isn’t the case, they cant take it mentally n in extreme cases like your relative, they could do something tragic though I suppose your relative was aggravated by his sickness as well. Sorry to hear this.
  • Praise 3

Yes, agree. Need lots of concentration, to be safe for ownself n other road users.. so , to plan for my retirement, I would get fit now, then can drive grab later.. ð.. retirees driving grab mostly to pass time, get some pocket money n not do it long hrs to support the family..if so, then that would not be retirement Liao.. me thinks grab is a good way for retirees to spend time meaningfully n economically beneficial too

driverless lai liao

your grab dream is gone!

driverless lai liao

your grab dream is gone!

Lol, not so fast! Not till they've ironed out the data transmission process, not till all driverless cars are certified by the authorities to be safe for Mass transport, not till the tech is mature enough to be cheap enuf for Mass market n all road users r assured of it's perfect safety..

For all these to be satisfied, it'll be decades later! By that time, I'll have driven my grab n then be permanently retired in heaven! Lol...

• Praise 1

It probably will offend people.

But if you feel your time had come, and all your loose ends are cleared.. what's wrong with choosing your own timing?

• Praise 1

Its a sad situation especially with nuclear families all over the island unlike the old kampung days 3 gen (sometimes even 4 gen) families staying under 1 roof and uncles and aunts and in-laws keep them busy and pitching in...... Its a bad trend trending but I have to accept as evolution of Singaporeans  ( I know of also a well to do family, wife kenna stroke (quite badly) at about 60  also staying with son n daughter in law and the hubby commit suicide at age 65 from a flat (apparently after visiting his daughter)... He  had nursed (bathing/ toilet/feeding)  his wife for about 5 years ++    and decided to give up, even during the funeral the wife like dunno what was going on even, she passed on about 5-6 years later, I cannot imagine what the son n daughter in law must have endured, even though they had a full time maid seperately for her               

• Praise 3

(edited)

But if you feel your time had come, and all your loose ends are cleared.. what's wrong with choosing your own timing?

Sometimes, helpfulness goes awry.

SMRT anyone?

This happens when people start to accept the time has come and then becomes uncontrolled and start to expand it to who they choose. EUTHANASIA is a door that cannot be officially opened by halfway competent government.

Can be diyed and has always been diyed. Oops.

Remember Berga, hitler death camp for American Gi or the bridge over river kwai?

We must remember the elderly are capable people who have survived the tribulations of life and find themselves sorely taxed as the society has excluded them. They are assessed/streamed/classified lack of ability/competence.

An example is Kids during SARs being rude and dismissive of SARs veterans.

Lim peh wah fighting demon that time you dont know where. Your pa and ma should be very ashamed.

The WW II survivor generation are coming to a natural end. They survived somehow through very difficult times but they find they are irrelevant. They have no place.

The elderly are not special people. They are you and me of varying ability and financial health. We find ourselves externalized. Granted higher ability folks do not commit suicide as often for the same reasons as the lower end folk. When it is because of a solvable situation, suicide is also the last option these survivors would choose.

Lurpasexx has identified the key problem to the lack of solution.

By the way subject banding is not new. Been there done that. Long ago.

James you make me think. Alot.

Radx also.

Ccb.

Edited by Datsun366
  • Praise 2

Its a sad situation especially with nuclear families all over the island unlike the old kampung days 3 gen (sometimes even 4 gen) families staying under 1 roof and uncles and aunts and in-laws keep them busy and pitching in...... Its a bad trend trending but I have to accept as evolution of Singaporeans ( I know of also a well to do family, wife kenna stroke (quite badly) at about 60 also staying with son n daughter in law and the hubby commit suicide at age 65 from a flat (apparently after visiting his daughter)... He had nursed (bathing/ toilet/feeding) his wife for about 5 years ++ and decided to give up, even during the funeral the wife like dunno what was going on even, she passed on about 5-6 years later, I cannot imagine what the son n daughter in law must have endured, even though they had a full time maid seperately for her

Honestly.. how many people looks at a person in a vegetative state and says "wow.. I hope I can be like that one day as long as I can squeeze in another 5 or 6 years "

Agree with you, but she was not in complete vegetative state, she can be like one moment know everything about you and talk of old times and next moment go into some kind of incoherent language or of a completely different topic

Honestly.. how many people looks at a person in a vegetative state and says "wow.. I hope I can be like that one day as long as I can squeeze in another 5 or 6 years "

Supersonic

About 10 years ago in 2009, I did volunteer work to distribute food packets to the elderly in York Hill estate in Outram. Met an elderly man and we tried to befriend him but when we left, he told us something that made us cringe:

Mati lagi baik ( die better)

He was suffering from end stage lung cancer and his Brother was taking care of him .

No matter who is the person, i believe almost all would feel the same way, die better if suffering from end stage illness.

To what you said I agree

Like the first line of these lyrics

I've paid my dues

Time after time

I've done my sentence

But committed no crime

And bad mistakes

I've made a few

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face

But I've come through

Sometimes, helpfulness goes awry.

SMRT anyone?

This happens when people start to accept the time has come and then becomes uncontrolled and start to expand it to who they choose. EUTHANASIA is a door that cannot be officially opened by halfway competent government.

Can be diyed and has always been diyed. Oops.

Remember Berga, hitler death camp for American Gi or the bridge over river kwai?

We must remember the elderly are capable people who have survived the tribulations of life and find themselves sorely taxed as the society has excluded them. They are assessed/streamed/classified lack of ability/competence.

An example is Kids during SARs being rude and dismissive of SARs veterans.

Lim peh wah fighting demon that time you dont know where. Your pa and ma should be very ashamed.

The WW II survivor generation are coming to a natural end. They survived somehow through very difficult times but they find they are irrelevant. They have no place.

The elderly are not special people. They are you and me of varying ability and financial health. We find ourselves externalized. Granted higher ability folks do not commit suicide as often for the same reasons as the lower end folk. When it is because of a solvable situation, suicide is also the last option these survivors would choose.

Lurpasexx has identified the key problem to the lack of solution.

By the way subject banding is not new. Been there done that. Long ago.

James you make me think. Alot.

Radx also.

Ccb.

Other than think

Improve ur English hahahhaha

Gd points buddy

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

There will be more suicides this year and sudden deaths as well- so folks be aware of this and please be in touch with loved ones more often

There will be more suicides this year and sudden deaths as well- so folks be aware of this and please be in touch with loved ones more often

why this year more?

Neutral Newbie

This is because of the in coming Energies and those who an't resonate with it take a way out- either by suicides or heart attacks. Truth will be revealed at all levels and many can't take it

↡ Advertisement